Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oshawa Generals 2011/2012

+10
hockeybeats
the croc
BOBBY ORR NUMBER4
steamed
mygens
gogensgo
Gens Camper
gensman
Oshawa fan
jaycro
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Oshawa Generals 2011/2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: Oshawa Generals 2011/2012

Post by GeneralTwit Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:59 pm

Once and for all, let's put this to rest. Chris Di Piero will be the Coach of the Oshawa Generals next season, and thoughts otherwise are simply a waste of time.

Dating all the way back to the Tavares trade, the intentions of this team has been CRYSTAL clear. 2012 was the year that the WHOLE team was targetting. To let the coach toil through three years of planning, only to see him replaced in the final year of his plan is absurd, and not something that happens in Junior hockey.

Now, should the Generals falter early next season, THEN, a coaching change may be possible, but Dips will be given every opportunity to finish what he started, whether any of us like it or not.

GeneralTwit

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by GeneralTwit Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:02 am

Last time I checked, Bill Stewart (LMAO) is still serving a lifetime ban from Coaching in the CHL, after illegally smuggling players across the border... Don't think he'll be behind anyone's bench anytime soon..

GeneralTwit

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:55 am

ok then you suporters of dipiero as coach please explain to me the rational of changing all lines in huge games the way he did , if you were at the games you woukd have seen the inability of the players to adapt , the frustration that insued , and to add insult to injury dipiero did not back down even when everyone could see it wasnt working , he stuck to his plan the whole game , he is very quiet behind the bench , to the point he looks half asleep or disinterested , my guess is he is a very stubborn man , who is full of himself , i think the gens won this year despite the guy , ax i've previously stated the man has done an excellent job with recruiting and the draft , but not as a coach , sorry , we can do much better , i really hope peter deboar will take over the reigns , dipiero is not in the same league as deboer , not even close

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:05 am

furthermore defensive systems need big improvement as do special teams , i havent seen this team get any better at these things under dipieros guidance , they got better goaltending , and scored a lot more goals due to the improved quality ofthe players , they clearly have more talent than niagara , but niagara played a much better system , more disciplined and much better zone play , thats coaching .

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:10 am

this team will still have a good year next year even with dipiero , by why wouldnt you want to get the most out of this individually talented crew, bu putting in place , a great teacher, a better motivator , might be awhile before we see another talented bunch like we have today , you guys know in junior hockey the ever changing cycle is he nature of the beast .

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:47 am

GeneralTwit wrote:Last time I checked, Bill Stewart (LMAO) is still serving a lifetime ban from Coaching in the CHL, after illegally smuggling players across the border... Don't think he'll be behind anyone's bench anytime soon..

Bill Stewart is working in the Guelph orginization and there is a good chance he will surface behind the bench there.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:24 pm

Dunno if I support Dips, but I don't support change.

1) didn't fire him after 11-0 defeat vs Bulls
2) didn't fire him after missing the playoffs
3) didn't fire him after missing the playoffs again

Why fire a coach thats finally made the playoffs and gotten to the 2nd round? especially when he's never done it before and wasn't fired then.

Firing a coach because they don't make the 3rd round would mean 16 coaches should all be out of jobs.

I think it sends the wrong message to the kids as well, that message either being that management doesn't appreciate the effort they put into last season, (from non playoff team all the way to 2nd round exit is pretty good) or that success is met with no gratitude at all (firing a coach thats turned the franchise around).

Dips was hired, he was hired with no experience at all, organizations don't do that unless they are grooming someone, and you don't stop grooming someone when they are out perfroming there previous performances.

We all knew what we were looking at when he was hired, you don't have to agree, thats just the way I see it.

If he was coach of the year and had some rings, he'd be more likely to have been fired after a season like this or even the last to. He's not he's learning and ownership clearly supports that or they wouldn't have hired him.

archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by 63 Split Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:17 pm

Did anyone figure out what draft picks we have next year. ( 1st round is assumed ) But after that, do we have any left in the cupboard.
63 Split
63 Split

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:08 pm

mygens wrote:ok then you suporters of dipiero as coach please explain to me the rational of changing all lines in huge games the way he did , if you were at the games you woukd have seen the inability of the players to adapt , the frustration that insued , and to add insult to injury dipiero did not back down even when everyone could see it wasnt working , he stuck to his plan the whole game , he is very quiet behind the bench , to the point he looks half asleep or disinterested , my guess is he is a very stubborn man , who is full of himself , i think the gens won this year despite the guy , ax i've previously stated the man has done an excellent job with recruiting and the draft , but not as a coach , sorry , we can do much better , i really hope peter deboar will take over the reigns , dipiero is not in the same league as deboer , not even close

1. Constant yelling and screaming like Dave Cameron does not mean good coaching. Personally, I prefer coaches that are calm and classy. I'm not a fan of the yellers but I'll acknowledge that some excessively vocal coaches have been successful too.

2. When the current lines aren't working, you change them. If he kept the same lines, you would be here criticizing him for a failure to recognize that the current combinations weren't working. The players weren't frustrated at the line changes, they were frustrated at their inability to be as good as the team they were playing against and the fact that even their best efforts couldn't beat Visentin.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:26 pm

As for the grooming ... Brampton is still 'grooming' S Butler and looks what that has got them? That's what happens when you don't 'constantly' upgrade and improve. How has Windsor done with new the leadership and management? They might not even go through a 'down cycle!'

The message you 'send to the kids' is that the organization is pro active and will improve and develop at all costs. You don't keep doin' the same thing over and over and expect different results! It ain't a popularity contest!

Cameron will be yelling his way to a Mem cup birth. His Jr record speaks for himself and Dips couldn't carry his jockstrap! As we twiddle our thumbs London, Petes, etc will be reloading! With any luck Dips will be ready for the 'NEXT' cycle!???

gensman

Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:45 pm

Brampton is one of the best organizations in the OHL at player development. Stan Butler is a great coach and mentor, one of the finest in the league. I think sometimes in our passion for cheering for a team, we lose sight of the fact that winning is not the primary goal of OHL teams, it's graduating players and preparing them for the next level. Ask anyone who has played for Stan Butler and they will have nothing but good things to say.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:50 am

Spoken like a true Leaf fan in dreamland!

gensman

Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:26 am

Generally (sic) speaking I agree with you 'beats" but as a fan, I don't go to see players develop and graduate. I go to see teams WIN. When they win, regardless of how they played, I go home happy. When they lose but play well, demonstrate energy and committment, I go home somewhat happy. When they lose, regardless of how they played, I go home unhappy. I think that's how most fans react. If I were to go to games and they constantly lost, regardless how well they played, I would stop going with regularity. Sorry!

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:02 pm

You're paying to be entertained, of course you want to win. I don't blame you for that, it's a perfectly logical sentiment. That's just not the primary responsibility of OHL teams and that includes coaching. Ask any player if they would rather be coached to an OHL championship or be on an "unsuccessful" team where players end up moving on to the NHL and it's pretty unanimous what they will choose. Stan Butler is a perfect example of this.

Despite a boring atmosphere and poor fan support, Brampton has no trouble attracting top players. Stan Butler is the reason why. Anyone who thinks Stan Butler isn't a good coach has never spoken with any of his players and quite frankly, has no idea what they're talking about. He's one of the most respected leaders and mentors in junior hockey.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:21 am

i agree with you gensman , hockeybeats , is missing the obvious , each to their own !

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2