Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gen's @ Draft Day

5 posters

Go down

Gen's @ Draft Day Empty Gen's @ Draft Day

Post by steamed Mon May 02, 2011 9:49 am

Hey Gen's fans
As OHL Draft day is less than a week away,what postion do you think will be the Gen's first overall pick?
I know some fans will say draft a goalie but we been there and look @ what we got(that's another post).
I personally think we should draft the best Defenceman @ the 16th? pick.
what are your opinion on which postion?
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Gen's @ Draft Day Empty Re: Gen's @ Draft Day

Post by jaycro Mon May 02, 2011 12:11 pm

Agreed steamed. Names from other threads on other Boards being bantered about include Adam Bateman (small offensive d-man), Steven Varga (bigger all-round d-man), Michael Vlajkov (ditto), Chris Bigras (smaller offensive d-man) and Anthony DeAngelo (probably going to USNTDP or Plymouth and thus a 'long shot'). Guess it depends on who's available? Bateman will probably be gone by 16.

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Mon May 02, 2011 12:33 pm

Looking Longterm Draft Defence.

Looking at going for it all this year then go with a forward. I say this because I feel a forward will have a better impact this year and while it would give us to many forwards it opens up trade possibilities. Thats not to say theres not a defencemen that could jump right into our lineup and contribute alot to the team. In fact thats probably best case scenario.

Putting a few goalies in the system isn't a bad thing just don't waste our first pick on this position.

It will be very interesting.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Mon May 02, 2011 1:13 pm

Drafting a defenceman depends on whether Valentine and Maggio return, as well as what they are doing with Hope and has Josh Brown progressed. If they are all in the picture, there is no urgent need to select a defenceman. Also, DeHaan's younger bro is a possibility but not in the 1st round. I agree with archer-gens. I'd take a forward if all the above is in place and they're going for it next year. If 2012-13, then pick a "Ellis/ Murphy type" offensive defenceman!

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Gen's @ Draft Day Empty Gens draft at # 16

Post by Gens Camper Mon May 02, 2011 2:23 pm

This is not a hard choice to make - simple - the gens will have a 2 or 3 players that Dips has already interviewed

It will come down to the best player available , as fans what we think a certain position is a priority the GENS know more about who is in the system

and who might be available - re import - then the Biggs reporting or not all weigh into the picture

We have 5 or 6 players that may or may not return - that is why we take the best player available.

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon May 02, 2011 2:26 pm

jaycro wrote:Drafting a defenceman depends on whether Valentine and Maggio return, as well as what they are doing with Hope and has Josh Brown progressed. If they are all in the picture, there is no urgent need to select a defenceman. Also, DeHaan's younger bro is a possibility but not in the 1st round. I agree with archer-gens. I'd take a forward if all the above is in place and they're going for it next year. If 2012-13, then pick a "Ellis/ Murphy type" offensive defenceman!

The Draft is Saturday and the Gen's won't know the status of Valentine and Maggio if they will return or not,it's up to there NHL team where they place them when there training camp starts in September, as of right now they are not part of the Gen's roster if they do come back thats a bonus also any 1st round pick except the first 5 or so will not have an automatic impact on there team,and where the Gen's pick unless they find a diamond in the ruff will not be a impacted player till the following season.as far as going for a foward in my opinion we have enough fire power to light it up again.I guess we will have to see come this saturday..
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon May 02, 2011 4:07 pm

I found this on a site that did a mock draft.
16. Oshawa Generals – LD Chris Bigras
HT: 6.00 | WT: 165 lbs. | Barrie Colts MM | DoB: February 22nd, 1995
The Gens are loaded up front and a little thin on the backend, so you have to think they’re going with a defenseman at 16 even if it’s a bit of a stretch. Unless they feel like they can get an American to report or someone like Bateman slips through, Bigras might be the lucky guy that works his way into the first round to Oshawa. I saw him several times and wasn’t overly impressed with his game, but he does have good offensive instincts and sees the ice pretty well. I’ve also seen him make some solid stretch passes and manage the powerplay pretty effectively, which would be a big asset moving forward for the Generals as they lose several veterans off this year’s team including Calvin de Haan.

Also
Here is a ? I can't remember when the last time Gen's took a defencemen in the 1st rd,I know that the last 4 drafts were 3 forwards & a goaltender.
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by TipcoSr Mon May 02, 2011 4:15 pm

In 2006, the Gens took Michael Del Zotto in the first round, second overall.

TipcoSr

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2011-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon May 02, 2011 4:23 pm

TipcoSr wrote:In 2006, the Gens took Michael Del Zotto in the first round, second overall.

Thanks TipcoSr I must of had a brain freeze...
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down