Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great draft by the GENS

+9
BOBBY ORR NUMBER4
Tape to Tape
Rinkrat
Chamoo
steamed
runner
jaycro
Gensfan1
Gens Camper
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Great draft by the GENS Empty Great draft by the GENS

Post by Gens Camper Wed May 05, 2010 4:03 pm

Well it looks to me we are finally getting BIGGER - I said before the draft we needed the 3 S's - SIZE + SPEED add Skill - great recipe for the future

With last years picks add our draft of 2010 we'll be playoff bound now - if we could add Lessio and or Biggs look out

Oh our goalies will mature and be stronger

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Great draft by the GENS Empty Re: Great draft by the GENS

Post by Gensfan1 Sun May 09, 2010 10:39 pm

When i was work on the broadcast for the ohl cup i took some notes on players who were able to be drafted this year and Scott Laughton was one of the toped ranked players of the tornament. This guy has amazing speed and very good stick handling skills. He reminded me on a young J.T.
Gensfan1
Gensfan1

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Mon May 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Great Draft by the Gens...maybe not? Just read on the HFBoards that Cody Payne and Zack Stepan have accepted spots on the USNTDP! Now, Stepan was a "flyer pick" in the 11th round but Payne, if one and the same, was the 17th selection in the third round, a big bruiser and another major loss a la Biggs and Lessio. Hope it's not true but the proof may be in the pudding this week-end!

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Mon May 10, 2010 6:45 pm

Follow-up to the above post. I was curious about Payne and checked his "bio' on the Media Guide on the OHL site and it says he is from Maple Ont. and I know he played in Missy this year so unless he has dual citizenship and has moved here from the U.S., maybe there are two Cody Paynes.

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Great draft by the GENS Empty draft update

Post by Gens Camper Wed May 12, 2010 12:20 pm

From London fan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Joshua Brown, you are getting the captain of a team that was in or around the OHL Cup top 10 rankings all year. He is smooth, has nice hands, and seemed to be comfortable and composed with the puck. Can be a little bit casual at times, and tends to curl when losing the puck, instead of stopping and starting. He was used as a defenseman on almost every powerplay down the stretch, as he has a great shot/one timer from the back end. He was the goto guy anytime London had a powerplay or an important situation.

Justin Tugwell was one of the best goalies in the Alliance this year, his draft position might have suffered from a poor finish in comparison to his amazing regular season. I saw Tugwell make huge saves every time I watched him. He is more of an athletic type of goalie, as he is not overly big. He also had a great presence while battling the scrambles in front, and covers the low part of the net well. The playoffs and OHL cup is where he slowed down a little, as Elgin was able to get to him in the Alliance finals, and his partner Brendan O'Neill was getting some of the starts in big games. He definately benefitted from a very strong team in front of him, which is why you see the eye popping numbers - he finished the regular season with a GAA that was under 1.

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by runner Wed May 12, 2010 3:54 pm

OHL Priority Selection: Oshawa Generals

David Burstyn
McKeen's Hockey Prospects

The Oshawa Generals addressed some scoring needs with the addition of Scott Laughton with the third overall pick. The captain of the Toronto Marlboros oozes character and possesses a scoring punch. Adding the likes of Joshua Brown and Mitch Eden gives them depth on the backend. The Generals had three third round selections and took a flier on Cody Payne, a player who is committed to the USNDTP. McKeen's Director of scouting, David Burstyn, has notes on each of the four players.

It appears the Gens gambled with one of the three third round picks they had

runner

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Wed May 12, 2010 5:14 pm

The Gens cannot afford to "gamble" with picks that high. They rolled the dice twice last year and lost. They need depth and talent at the forward position and this draft adds two solid bets to the mix! Disappointing, if true!

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Wed May 12, 2010 9:13 pm

jaycro wrote:The Gens cannot afford to "gamble" with picks that high. They rolled the dice twice last year and lost. They need depth and talent at the forward position and this draft adds two solid bets to the mix! Disappointing, if true!

I for one am glad Very Happy that they are taking chances and rolling the dice on players.The Gen's played safe too long.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Wed May 12, 2010 9:41 pm

I don't have a problem with taking chances, just not in the top four rounds. You take your "flyers" later as most players picked after the fourth round seldom make the team or don't star if they do. See the make-up of this team the last two years! It has been comprised of a lot of free agente and mid-round draftees/

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by Chamoo Thu May 13, 2010 1:40 am

The Gens could only sign 4 picks from this years draft (if I have the rules down in my head correctly, 4 16 yr olds?), so if they had drafted five guys that were going to show up, they would had pissed one off forcing them to play Jr. A Tier II for a year. Maybe taking a flier wasn't a bad thing in this instance as it allowed them to still have four 16 year olds, plus maybe have someone that decides the USNDTP isn't for him and comes as a 17 yr old.

Chamoo

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Thu May 13, 2010 9:05 am

Good point, Chamoo but what about the other 10 picks? Was there any point in picking them if making the team is going to rub one of the top picks the wrong way? I realize that you find gems and pluggers anywhere but it's all about competition for spots. Not all the draft picks can make the team, only four, so there is always someone who will be disappointed. Who knows, maybe Payne won't make the USNDT and end up reporting here this year! What I don't understand is why/how his "home" is listed as Maple Ont. and he has played most (if not all) of his minor hockey here. He must have an American citizenship!

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by runner Thu May 13, 2010 11:11 am

A quick search of the internet suggests Payne is from Florida and played/plays on travelling teams based out of the US up until a year or two ago.

runner

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Thu May 13, 2010 3:15 pm

Apparently, Cody Payne has made the USNDT so we won't see him for at least two years, if ever, as I understand he is an excellent student who will probably end up in an American college program. I can't believe the Gens didn't get a firm commitment from before taking him that high!

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Thu May 13, 2010 5:08 pm

Rebuilding team wasting a pick is not good - yes we can only dress 4 - 16 yr olds but we bypassed someone who may play for us next year - This is becoming a yearly trend that is not good

Last year Biggs this year Payne

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Fri May 14, 2010 8:52 am

jaycro wrote:Apparently, Cody Payne has made the USNDT so we won't see him for at least two years, if ever, as I understand he is an excellent student who will probably end up in an American college program. I can't believe the Gens didn't get a firm commitment from before taking him that high!

Lookie lookie who is listed #18 on red team LUCAS LESSIO Very Happy
As well as Cody Payne will be attending the Gen's Rookie Orientation this weekend Team red # 29 Laughing
also #21 Josh Graves I wonder any relation,I'm sure there is.

So jayco all that is missing is Tyler Biggs Laughing
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Fri May 14, 2010 8:59 am

Those are the players invited

Let's see who is on the ice

If they are here today get them signed before they leave

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Fri May 14, 2010 9:09 am

Gens Camper wrote:Those are the players invited

Let's see who is on the ice

If they are here today get them signed before they leave

Invited or not there is doubt about there desission and are listening to what the Gen's have to offer now it's up to the Gen's to sign them. Very Happy
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinkrat Sat May 15, 2010 12:06 am

The point one poster made about the limit of 16 year olds is valid despite opinions to the contrary. It just might pay to take a chance once in a while, especially if Lessio reports. Remember ,,, they replaced that pick with the Plymyth trade, and it will only cost another if he shows up. Pretty good player and worth taking a flyer.

Rinkrat

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-12-25

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Sat May 15, 2010 11:23 am

I heard that Jimmy McDowell's twin brother is also attending the orientation camp. Anyone spot any outstanding talent or surprises at yesterday's or this morning's scrimmage. I was at last night's and the one who stood out to me was Joshua Brown on defence. Others?

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Great draft by the GENS Empty Camp standouts

Post by Tape to Tape Sat May 15, 2010 12:21 pm

Some bright spots seen in rookie camp...... 2nd round pick appears to be a nice fit....size, passer, not afraid to go into boards.......
Laughton needs to pass the puck and not be a one man show in order to survive in this league.....defence looks sured......
Can't wait to see this season

Tape to Tape

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Sun May 16, 2010 11:20 am

Did LUCAS LESSIO show up for the orientation camp and if he did how did he look.
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Sun May 16, 2010 12:37 pm

He was there and looked good to me. Showed a scorer's touch. I think he scored at least one goal in the Friday night scrimmage. It would be nice if they can sign him although it would cost us another second rounder, two thirds and a fourth, I believe, if he stuck around for two years. Quite a price to pay!

Last edited by jaycro on Sun May 16, 2010 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinkrat Sun May 16, 2010 9:09 pm

I've seen him play,,,, not just scrimmage.... He has all the tools to be an elite player, and if he is with us next year, will make an immediate contribution..... A good player and a great move by the GM, if he is in the line up this fall.

Rinkrat

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-12-25

Back to top Go down

Post by BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 Sun May 16, 2010 10:48 pm

steamed wrote:Did LUCAS LESSIO show up for the orientation camp and if he did how did he look.
How about Biggs , no show!!!!!

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4

Number of posts : 230
Seat Section : 105
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon May 17, 2010 10:21 am

Biggs was a no show but there is always next year.
Here is and articale on Lucas:

3. Lucas Lessio - St. Michael's Buzzers (CCHL)
Lessio has already spurned one OHL team, the Niagara IceDogs who drafted him in the top 10 last year. He then saw his rights traded to Oshawa and played out last season with St. Mikes Junior A. About mid way through the season, he gave his intent to play for the University of Michigan in the future. But many people are still not convinced Lessio goes to Michigan. For one, the Generals gave up a lot for Lessio last year, something no sane GM would do if it was completely certain he was heading to the NCAA. Secondly, Lessio has now shown up at the Generals orientation camp this weekend, of course sparking rumours of him playing there next season. With the scholarship to Michigan not in effect until 2011-2012, Lessio would have to play his NHL Draft year in the CCHL again next year, or in the USHL (ala Louis Leblanc) to preserve his amateur status. If he goes to Oshawa, he could very well elevate himself into the top 10. He absolutely shredded Junior A (CCHL) this year, putting up better numbers than Andrew Cogliano did with the Buzzers as a 16 year old (and Cogliano was a first round pick the next year). He's the complete package of size, skill and strength and could make a HUGE impact for Oshawa if that ends up as his destination.
Destination Team: Oshawa Generals
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next