Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great draft by the GENS

+9
BOBBY ORR NUMBER4
Tape to Tape
Rinkrat
Chamoo
steamed
runner
jaycro
Gensfan1
Gens Camper
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Great draft by the GENS - Page 2 Empty Re: Great draft by the GENS

Post by Gens Fan 112 Mon May 17, 2010 11:56 am

That certainly is encouraging news.

What are the chances that Biggs et. al. could be influenced by Lessio's final decision with the thought that Oshawa could be a force this year?
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Number of posts : 900
Registration date : 2007-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by gensfan 2k2 Mon May 17, 2010 12:24 pm

I would love for him to play here but according to a buddy who I sit with it doesn't look good. According to him, he talked with a couple parents of fellow st Mikes players trying out with the Gens on Friday night. They said that Dipero and Gens staff and ownership were at almost every St Mikes game last year and have been in constant talk with Lessio. But Lessio really feels strongly about playing for Michigan. He would playing in a lesser league next year again though as he can't go to Michigan until the following year. The one parent is a father of Lucas good friend on their team and they can't believe he wouldn't play in Oshawa next year but he really wants to go NCAA. So what do Adam, Rocco and Peter have to do to get him here. In my mind school is important but hockey wise the NHL drafts a lot of players from the CHL leagues as this is where most of the best players night in and night out. If his goal is to play NHL then you would think the OHL is where you would want to play.

On a side note there is an article about windsors Cam Fowler stating he is glad he decided to play in the O instaed of NCAA as his draft ranking proves that.

Last edited by gensfan 2k2 on Mon May 17, 2010 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

gensfan 2k2

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Mon May 17, 2010 2:26 pm

If you really want the NHL - THEN THE OHL might be your best bet

If school is it and you don't care about the NHL then - NCAA is for you

If he goes OHL he would be drafted higher than NCAA

Fowler could be drafted as high as # 3 in June - not so sure he would have been that high if he had of stayed in NCAA

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon May 17, 2010 2:27 pm

gensfan 2k2 wrote:I would love for him to play here but according to a buddy whi I sit with it doesn't look good. According to him, he talked with a couple parents of fellow st Mikes players trying out with the Gens on Friday night. They said that Deperio and Gens staff and ownership were at almost every St Mikes game last year and have been in constant talk with Lessio. But Lessio really feels strongly about playing for Michigan. He would playing ina lesser league next year again though as he can't go to Michigan until the following year. The one parent is a father of Lucas good friend on their team and they can't believe he wouldn't play in Oshawa next year but he really wants to go NCAA. So what to Adam, Rocco and peter have to do to get him here. In my mind school is important but hockey wise the NHL drafts a lot of players from the CHL leagues as this is where most of the best players night in and night out. If his goal is to play NHL then you would think the OHL is where you would want to play.

On a side note there is an article about windsors Cam Fowler stating he is glad he decided to play in the O instaed of NCAA as his draft ranking proves that.

Well that's intresting I was told from a source that Lucas & his dad want to play in Oshawa, but it his mother is the one pushing him to NCAA route.I think by him showing up @ the camp there is a good chance that he will play in the O,if he didn't then you would know there is not a hope in hell that he is playing for the Gens.
the Gen's gave up alot for a player that says he is going to the NCAA route.I think the dission will come down when he has no choice come September were he only has 48 hrs to make that dission
OHL or NCAA.
I do hope he makes the right dission Wink
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Mon May 17, 2010 4:04 pm

An interesting sidenote to this for those that don't know, the Buzzers are essentially an NCAA development program. That's the reason why the Majors are no longer affiliated with the Buzzers when it would seem that the St. Mike's connection would make this a no-brainer. Players choose to play at St. Mike's because they want to go the NCAA route. De Piero's connection to the Buzzers is perhaps something that could help Lessio swing away from this trend.

Despite the abuse some keep hurling at De Piero on this message board, he is very well respected at St. Mike's and might have a positive influence on swinging home over here. We'll see how it plays out.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Tue May 18, 2010 11:33 am

If school is important to Lucas and his family, why can't he do his post-secondary in "Oshawa"? We have UOIT and Trent, I believe, offers courses here, or at least they used to. Both U of T and York are a 45 min-1 hour away. What's the lure of Michigan? Hockey scholarship? He gets a year covered from the Gens (OHL) for every year he plays and I think Canadian universities have equivalent or better prorams than many American ones, so what's the problem?

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by runner Tue May 18, 2010 12:03 pm

The education may not be better but the experience at the University of Michigan and the Yost Ice Arena is something the Generals, nor any other team in the OHL can compete with. If you've ever been to, or watched a game televised from, Yost Arena you will now what i mean. The enthusiasm and excitement from the fans is second to none.
Having said all of that the OHL offers a very different package and opportunity than the NCAA.
Lessio has to decide whether he wants to play a 68 game season in a quasi pro environment or a much shorter college season and be a student athlete.
There are pro and cons to both. For my own selfish reasons i hope he chooses Oshawa, but I can understand his desire to play at Michigan

runner

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Tue May 18, 2010 1:24 pm

It's not so much Lucas desire to play at Michigan it's his mothers that has to be convinced to play in the O,Lucas and his dad wants to play in the OHL.I'm like you I want him to play for the Gens Very Happy
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Tue May 18, 2010 9:08 pm

jaycro wrote:If school is important to Lucas and his family, why can't he do his post-secondary in "Oshawa"? We have UOIT and Trent, I believe, offers courses here, or at least they used to. Both U of T and York are a 45 min-1 hour away. What's the lure of Michigan? Hockey scholarship? He gets a year covered from the Gens (OHL) for every year he plays and I think Canadian universities have equivalent or better prorams than many American ones, so what's the problem?

Adding onto what runner said about the experience of playing in Michigan, many have the perception that US universities are better whether true or not. I'm not sure if perhaps the big price tag makes some equate expensive with prestigious but in talking to high school students and parents, many of them perceive anything American to be better than anything Canadian. I've talked to parents of kids as young as grade 9 who already have Ivy League aspirations whether their kid is an athlete or not. This is something that Canadian universities have to address in their marketing and of course, high school guidance departments have a role here as well. I'm going off-topic a bit but this is probably the same line of thinking as Lessio's mom if it's true that she's the one that wants him to go to the US.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Generalizations Mon May 24, 2010 1:51 pm

I am wondering if DePiero is being kept on as long as he is, simply to get Lessio to report. Will see.

Generalizations

Number of posts : 435
Seat Section : Section 120
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:10 pm

What is the latest on Lessio and Biggs?

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:51 pm

QuickDraw wrote:What is the latest on Lessio and Biggs?

Biggs won't be a General this season, and Lessio it look's promising as he reported to the mini camp.
I say if he reports to the main camp in September there is a good chance he will play for the Gen's
He'll have 48 hrs to make a dission OHL or NCAA but like I said in the line prior Very Happy
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2