Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will we be as good as last year ???

+7
the croc
5forfighting
opinionated
steamed
archer_gens
KHE
Gens Camper
11 posters

Go down

Will we be as good as last year ??? Empty Will we be as good as last year ???

Post by Gens Camper Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:24 am

I see many posters believe we will and be better , hate to burst your bubble BUT I"m not convinced.

Many believe you need a strong defense and proven goaltending and we don't.

We have lost 3 of our top 4 on defense from last year in De Hart , De Haan and Valentine and De Haan was your power play QB.

Also we have 2 rookies on the back end that will need time , in net we have a goaltending duo who are unproven but may be alright on some nights

depending on how other teams hammer our defence.

We need to be scouting the WHL or Q for any players available as we have traded away a lot of future draft picks for Lessio,Quinn, Maggio and now our new goalie.

Unless we sacrafice a top forward for a top defense it could be a frustrating year, hope I'm wrong.

Last year we finished 4th in the conference , this year - Ottawa and Niagara are still ahead of us and Missy too - leaves us fighting for 4th without help in the back end we could be 6th - 8th

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Will we be as good as last year ??? Empty Re: Will we be as good as last year ???

Post by KHE Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:42 am

Gens Camper wrote:I see many posters believe we will and be better , hate to burst your bubble BUT I"m not convinced.

Many believe you need a strong defense and proven goaltending and we don't.

We have lost 3 of our top 4 on defense from last year in De Hart , De Haan and Valentine and De Haan was your power play QB.

Also we have 2 rookies on the back end that will need time , in net we have a goaltending duo who are unproven but may be alright on some nights

depending on how other teams hammer our defence.

We need to be scouting the WHL or Q for any players available as we have traded away a lot of future draft picks for Lessio,Quinn, Maggio and now our new goalie.

Unless we sacrafice a top forward for a top defense it could be a frustrating year, hope I'm wrong.

Last year we finished 4th in the conference , this year - Ottawa and Niagara are still ahead of us and Missy too - leaves us fighting for 4th without help in the back end we could be 6th - 8th

Sorry... you are wrong as you were hoping. "Without help on the back end we could be 6th - 8th" REALLY?? This team is going to be VERY VERY exciting to watch this year. You've based the above comment on 2 games, one if which we lost at home yet dominated and were only stymied by a hot goaltender. The other in which we beat the worst team in the league. We have not played a game yet with Jenner, Lessio and Thomas all in the lineup (which you will see for your entertaining pleasure tonight). Jensen WILL be back, Valentine in my opinion WILL be back. Andreoff.... I don't think he'll be back. If he is back it will be a bonus. If Andreoff is not back that just means we will be able to pick up an OA that replaces him and his lost goals. You just need to relax and let the season play out for a couple weeks and see who comes back and who doesn't. You're comments on the D MAY be valid (although we will see how it plays out) but this team is probably going to average 5 or 6 goals a game. In my opinion this team is stronger than last years even with the loss of Berger, DeHart and Dehaan. You will probably see a little bit of tweaking here and there throughout the season but this team WILL NOT disappoint you. Trust me on this Camper.

KHE

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Will we be as good as last year ??? Empty Re: Will we be as good as last year ???

Post by archer_gens Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:04 am

I agree except that we would need to pick up an oa defencemen or goalie and not a forward.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:20 pm

Im sorry KHE but you said valentine will be back.....Hes signed on with his AHL team witch pretty much says hes not coming back.And i still have yet to see anything that says Jensen is coming back too.And as for what Gens Camper said,i will have to agree.Our defence needs help and our goaltending is shaky,shows flashes of brilliance at times but that will not get a suppossed top team very far. Yes we have only played 2 games and one was against a pathetic kingston team but if we need to trade 4 draft pics for this,then kid u better stand on ur head.So far im unconvinced about him.So lets see how he does against the bulls today!!

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:30 pm

gensfanforever were is the articale that Valentine signed last I heard is he was sent down by Nashville to the AHL didn't hear of any signings, and even if he doe's sign he still can be sent down to the Gen's, and as far as Jensen Vancovers coach said that he will play the NHL ex games and then returned to Junior's,No panic yet give it some time for players to return then judge.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:50 pm

gensfanforever wrote:Im sorry KHE but you said valentine will be back.....Hes signed on with his AHL team witch pretty much says hes not coming back.And i still have yet to see anything that says Jensen is coming back too.

Scott has not signed with the Milwaukee Admirals. He was released by the Predators from his ATO contract. He was then invited to camp by Milwaukee. He is currently the #8 dman in camp with Nashville still having to release 7 players from camp. I will be shocked if he's not back with the Gens. With regards to Jensen. I trust Bob Mackenzie.. have a look at his twitter page from September 29, 2011 http://twitter.com/#!/tsnbobmckenzie

to quote "Two later 1st rders, VAN's Jensen/PIT's Morrow been impressive. Both signed. Jensen back to OSH soon. Morrow has chance to start in PIT." Jensen will not make the team that just lost the Stanley Cup final as an 18 year old. It makes no sense for the Vancouver organization to lose a year on his contract in that way. They don't lose anything if he plays in Oshawa.
Andreoff is in the same position as Valentine. He is currently not signed and has an ATO with the Manchester Monarchs. I was surprised that LA cut him so early and perhaps that's a good sign for him returning to Oshawa.

KHE

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:53 pm

ahl teams are in training camps, there needs to be a contract in place in order to participate, Jensen is 100% coming back, i will bet you anything, and give u whatever odds u want lol.

Once NHL teams make there final roster moves, the ahl will spend a few games and then make there cuts as well. Nashvilles farm team is already carrying 8 defencemen, and assuming 1-3 more arrive in the final waive of cuts, they have two many dmen and even if valentine is signed they can send him to the OHL and keep him for next year.

Andreoff will probably be the only one we lose, because they are short forwards on the farm right now. That being said if the NHL team makes enough cuts or a move for a player then Andy could come back.

It's never say never, teams get burned all the time because they release the rights of players like Andreoff or even Dehaan before the roster deadlines.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:53 pm

thanks for the info KHE
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by opinionated Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:55 pm

archer_gens wrote:ahl teams are in training camps, there needs to be a contract in place in order to participate,

My understanding is that there a a number of players in AHL camps as free agents on tryouts, and that no contract is required to participate. I have first hand knowledge of at least one in that situation, so I'm pretty sure of my understanding too.

Can you provide me with the source that says a contract must be in place to tryout at the AHL level?

opinionated

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:35 pm

So it appears with a superior offence this year we will win 8- 6 or
lose 7 - 5

We need Valentine back for sure or we need help on the back end

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by 5forfighting Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:55 pm

steamed wrote:gensfanforever were is the articale that Valentine signed last I heard is he was sent down by Nashville to the AHL didn't hear of any signings, and even if he doe's sign he still can be sent down to the Gen's, and as far as Jensen Vancovers coach said that he will play the NHL ex games and then returned to Junior's,No panic yet give it some time for players to return then judge.

I believe this is the article hes talking about that I posted - http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4299058

That was the only article I found that said that and was looking to see if anyone could confirm if they had heard that too.

5forfighting

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by the croc Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:28 pm

Too early to get down completely. The mark of a good management team is to fill the needs of the team so I will look with anticipation between now and January 9th. As much as I can't stand George Burnett his team gave our guys a lesson in defensive play both filling the slot and having Chartrand make a couple of highlight reel saves. I like Altshuller. He gives up one in Kingston, 3 against the hounds and 2 last night, a gaa of 2.00. What more do we want? And if our other number one pick Mr. Baillie comes to play, who knows? Maggio did get the assist on a Belleville goal and the boys need better coaching and some extra discipline although I think Emerson is a changed man. If we get our guys back, if we pick up some character players there are enough fine boys on this team to make the grade. I am still questioning when these boys are going to be taught to play defense and no I don't believe that the coaching/ management staff are good enough to get them to the next level. I would like to be proven wrong. Keep in mind we haven't payed the really good teams yet.

the croc

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by JPH Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:47 pm

Croc, you pretty much nailed it. Good post.^

JPH

Number of posts : 172
Seat Section : Somewhere in Section 119
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by federo5 Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:12 pm

the croc wrote:Too early to get down completely. The mark of a good management team is to fill the needs of the team so I will look with anticipation between now and January 9th. As much as I can't stand George Burnett his team gave our guys a lesson in defensive play both filling the slot and having Chartrand make a couple of highlight reel saves. I like Altshuller. He gives up one in Kingston, 3 against the hounds and 2 last night, a gaa of 2.00. What more do we want? And if our other number one pick Mr. Baillie comes to play, who knows? Maggio did get the assist on a Belleville goal and the boys need better coaching and some extra discipline although I think Emerson is a changed man. If we get our guys back, if we pick up some character players there are enough fine boys on this team to make the grade. I am still questioning when these boys are going to be taught to play defense and no I don't believe that the coaching/ management staff are good enough to get them to the next level. I would like to be proven wrong. Keep in mind we haven't payed the really good teams yet.

exactly why the Generals won't win no matter how much talent they have over other teams. They will always be outcoached. You watch them last year and in game 1 to the last game of the season the same players were making the same mistakes. Maybe thats why Biggs didn't come? Just saying.

federo5

Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:04 pm

will the gens be as good as next last year ........................we lose dehart, valentine , dehaan , off the defence , and then andreoff , how can we be ??????? Quinn on D , i don't think so !!!!

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens-southern-fanclub Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:43 pm

The loss of Valentine is a big one. Only because we might have to give up talent to get a replacement and any talent you give up for a defenseman is talent you cannot use for a goalie at the trade deadline, if we need one. The other boys were gone long ago and the staff knew that but you kindof believe they were counting on Val returning. It is still early and I think you have to wait until the end of October before you need to push the panic button.

I for one believe in the talent on this team and they will succeed.

Gens-southern-fanclub

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by federo5 Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:11 am

I don't think its a big loss at all. I lost count of how many giveaways up the middle Valentine comitted last year. He'll be back. Just give him a few games to have grown men zooming in on the forcheck in the ahl and let him do his famous in front of the net giveaways. He'll be back in a few weeks. LOL

federo5

Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by JPH Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:40 pm

While the above post is sarcastic, but true to an extent. I must say I would take him over another current OA D man we have. Hell, sometimes I wish Delory would come back so this guy could sit. lol

JPH

Number of posts : 172
Seat Section : Somewhere in Section 119
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down