Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

valentine signs

+6
KHE
ohagan
mygens
gensfan4life3232
Gens Camper
5forfighting
10 posters

Go down

valentine signs Empty valentine signs

Post by 5forfighting Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:07 pm

According to valentines twitter and the pres's scott has signed a contract with them. Would assume that means he won't be back

5forfighting

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-01-17

Back to top Go down

valentine signs Empty Congrats to Valentine signed - 3yr deal

Post by Gens Camper Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:11 am

Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that the club has signed free agent defenseman Scott Valentine to a three-year, entry level contract worth $1.695 million.

Valentine, 20 (5/2/91), played the past three-and-a-half seasons with the Oshawa Generals of the Ontario Hockey, posting 36 points (4g-32a) and 106 penalty minutes in 62 games with the club in 2010-11. The Metcalfe, Ont., native also ranked second among General defensemen in plus/minus rating (+17) and received the third-most votes in the "Best Body Checker" category of the 2011 OHL Eastern Conference Coaches' Poll.

The 6-1, 211-pounder originally selected by Anaheim in the sixth round (166th overall) of the 2009 Entry Draft is currently in training camp with the Predators primary development affiliate - the American Hockey League's Milwaukee Admirals - where he is expected to start the season

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

valentine signs Empty Re: valentine signs

Post by gensfan4life3232 Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:38 am

dang that sucks for the gens but good for him tho i guess.
gensfan4life3232
gensfan4life3232

Number of posts : 180
Seat Section : sec 114 row 6 seat 8
Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:07 pm

well looks like another rebuild that doesn't quite make it ! we 've really ben stung this year , lose dehaan , valentine , andreoff , all 3 eligible to return , really sucks .

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by ohagan Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:32 pm

Just because they are in the AHL doesn't necessarily mean they are gone for good, they could still be sent back, it's happened many times before, let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best!

ohagan

Number of posts : 360
Seat Section : 119 standing room
Registration date : 2010-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:09 pm

ohagan wrote:Just because they are in the AHL doesn't necessarily mean they are gone for good, they could still be sent back, it's happened many times before, let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best!

This is true. Just because he has signed a contract with Nashville doens't necessarily mean he'll be in the AHL. If he's a 7 or 8th dman on the roster they are better off sending him to Oshawa as he will play 40min a game in the shwa.

EDIT: Ryan Ellis was sent to Milwaukee today. Crowded blueline.

KHE

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens-southern-fanclub Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:55 pm

mygens wrote:well looks like another rebuild that doesn't quite make it ! we 've really ben stung this year , lose dehaan , valentine , andreoff , all 3 eligible to return , really sucks .

I find it hard to believe anyone thought DeHaan was coming back. Come on really, do you think he wants to play another year of junior hockey. Hell NO. He will not get better as a hockey player playing at this level. He needs to move on and so do the Generals. The rebuild was completed last year now we are building. Building a team that will compete year in and year out. They are working the plan to perfection. They have a lot of good talent on this team. 2nd, 3rd, 4th yr players that are every bit as talented as deHaan, Val or Andreoff. Give them a chance before you sell your season ticket for indoor lacrosse

Gens-southern-fanclub

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:53 pm

I'll have you know I plan to have both Very Happy

lol
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:52 pm

While I am not sure they have any defenseman as talented as Dehaan I agree we need to give the current team a chance.

I am not expecting Valentine back. They can send him to the ECHL if they want. They did send a player there in the last day or so.

There are a number of teams carrying multiple OA players and some will have to be moved.

It is still early days and a lot can happen over the next few months. Better goaltending will get the Gens off to a better start this season and make up a little for Valentine's absence.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by gensfan4life3232 Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:11 pm

why r the gens carrying 3 goalies is 1 of them on the trading block or sumthing i am missing what happens when bailie comes back from his injury then what.
gensfan4life3232
gensfan4life3232

Number of posts : 180
Seat Section : sec 114 row 6 seat 8
Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by LX Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:30 pm

Ballie is hurt so u need to dress another goalie.

LX

Number of posts : 190
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:13 am

Why would they pay Valentine to sit in the ECHL when the OHL is free? Last I heard his team isn't doing extremely well financially.

archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:32 am

archer_gens wrote:Why would they pay Valentine to sit in the ECHL when the OHL is free? Last I heard his team isn't doing extremely well financially.

Because they think there is some potential in him. They will make a decision that works for their hockey team. If they think Valentine will benefit from time in the ECHL they will send him there if they think junior is better he will be back in Oshawa.

Injuries and suspensions can deplete a roster quickly. I think if they send him back to junior they cannot call him back up (but I am not certain of that).

The Admirals have 9 D on their roster now. 4 of those are 1991 birth dates. Any one of those could go back to junior.

I hope Valentine and Andreoff are both back but I don't think it is looking that way.

Oshawa fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:35 am

Oshawa fan wrote:
archer_gens wrote:Why would they pay Valentine to sit in the ECHL when the OHL is free? Last I heard his team isn't doing extremely well financially.

Because they think there is some potential in him. They will make a decision that works for their hockey team. If they think Valentine will benefit from time in the ECHL they will send him there if they think junior is better he will be back in Oshawa.

Injuries and suspensions can deplete a roster quickly. I think if they send him back to junior they cannot call him back up (but I am not certain of that).

The Admirals have 9 D on their roster now. 4 of those are 1991 birth dates. Any one of those could go back to junior.

I hope Valentine and Andreoff are both back but I don't think it is looking that way.

Admirals have 10D on their roster now. In my opinion it's looking more and more like he will be back.
http://www.milwaukeeadmirals.com/home/features/03/link2AssetBinary/WO%20Stats.pdf

You're right, 4 of them are 1991 birth dates. However, one of those 1991's is Ryan Ellis who won't be back in junior. That leaves 10D in camp and 3 of the D have the good possibility of being sent back to junior. The rest of the D has pro experience.

KHE

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 5forfighting Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm

Admirals have 10D on their roster now. In my opinion it's looking more and more like he will be back.
http://www.milwaukeeadmirals.com/home/features/03/link2AssetBinary/WO%20Stats.pdf

You're right, 4 of them are 1991 birth dates. However, one of those 1991's is Ryan Ellis who won't be back in junior. That leaves 10D in camp and 3 of the D have the good possibility of being sent back to junior. The rest of the D has pro experience.[/quote]

I just said the samething to someone else! 5 out of 10 of those guys have played in the AHL last year, the team is likely only to carry 7 dman. I think he will be back, would get a ton more ice time here then probably anywhere else. I worry though, if he does come back he will have a big head on him and become somewhat lazy. Almost like he doesnt have to prove himself anymore. I know many will disagree, but lots of nights Calvin played lazy hockey. When he wanted to play he could don't get me wrong, but I found more nights he played half heartedly. (LOL just waiting to have my head ripped off for that comment)

As for Andy- he still hasnt signed a contract (why do i feel i just jinxed that..)...so who knows. Manchesters roster only has 4 lw's on it, but they have a ton of c & rw. Is it possible that some of those c's can switch to lw--who knows. I wouldnt bank on Andy coming back, but who knows--crazier things have happened.

I think that getting just one of them back can make the gens a complete contender (as long as goaltending stays strong)....without them I see a first round exit from the playoffs--round 2 if they are lucky.

5forfighting

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:09 pm

KHE I hope you are correct.

I think it depends on the status of the other 2 (not Ellis). Were they draft choices already signed or did they come as free agents.

How often do OA players get assigned to ECHL teams?

Oshawa fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down