Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pretty Evident

+4
mygens
Lindy88
hockeybeats
federo5
8 posters

Go down

Pretty Evident Empty Pretty Evident

Post by federo5 Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:42 am

It's pretty evident through the first 6 games of the season the Generals who many of us had extremely high expectations for this season, this being the second year on the up of a previous 2 year re-build, is a pretty big dissappointment. For the most part students are a reflection of there teacher, children are a reflection of there parents and yes players are a reflection of there coach. Disorganization, lack of disclpline, lack of focus and attention to detail. You can get away a shortage of talent if your extremely well organzied and taught a good fundemental strategy maximum the assets your team does have. The Gens have way to much talent to be playing like this and with potentially more talent to come its quite clear they need a fresh direction in philosophy on the ice in my book. It's going to be another painful year of dissappointment in my book if the Generals don't address these team defincencies such as a lack of focus, organization and glaring team undiscpline and execution. If the team doesn't achieve what it should this year than that falls on the person responsible for bringing in the players. If we do have the overwhelming talent to succeed and the players are just not performing up to par that falls on the coach. This is the second go around of team talent with this management team and if we continue to have a dissappointing start with no signs of drastic improvement I think a coaching change would be the way to go. I have faith in the talent we have albiet we do need to improve the blueline.

federo5

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Pretty Evident Empty Re: Pretty Evident

Post by hockeybeats Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:08 am

Nonsense ... and posting the same message in two different threads stinks of a personal vendetta. No point in copying the same response, see other thread. There's no need for different threads saying the same thing.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Lindy88 Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

It's clear to me still and has been for well over a year that this team will not reach it's full potential until a coaching change is made.

Retain the GM role Chris, you have brought in some amazing players but please turnover the coaching duties!
Lindy88
Lindy88

Number of posts : 75
Seat Section : 104 row 13
Registration date : 2009-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by federo5 Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:30 am

hockeybeats wrote:Nonsense ... and posting the same message in two different threads stinks of a personal vendetta. No point in copying the same response, see other thread. There's no need for different threads saying the same thing.

personal vendetta. LOL.. Sometimes the truth hurts.

federo5

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:18 am

Well hockey beats , you may want lot get your head out of the sand , this team is struggling and frankly disappointing thus far , the discipline or lack thereof is abysmal .

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:00 am

Lets go back to last season when Dips was suspended for a few games.
During that time frame, I would say the boys played some of their best hockey with Cirella behind the bench as the Coach.
Lets evaluate Dips once everyone is back and we have a few games under our belt. Will be hard to do since we have three guys suspended for a total of 30 games.
I believe the owners are trying to save some money with the duo role of GM and Coach. This is a business after all.

Gens_Fan_22

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by JPH Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:28 pm

One thing you can say about Beats is he is consistant. I personaly totally disagree with his outlook, but at least he doesn't switch sides.

DiPiero the GM - pretty good
Dippyiero the coach - not so much

JPH

Number of posts : 172
Seat Section : Somewhere in Section 119
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens-southern-fanclub Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:40 pm

I do not believe this has anything to do with Dips as a coach. When is the player responsible for his actions? Where is the leadership on this team? Why don't we stop looking to the coach to play the game and instead look at the leaders. I do not think the leadership on this team has stepped up with their play. If they are going to lead by example then lead by example and play a full 60 minutes not 30 minutes. If they start playing like the leaders they were chosen to be then our record is much improved. I do believe the last couple of games the play has improved but we have a long way to go. Just a quick fact here, Do you know we have not score the first goal in any game this year so far. To me that is leadership, a lack thereof
Valentine making the Ads was something I do not think the management saw coming and causes them to be behind the eight ball. At the same time they are not going to throw away the house for a puck moving defensemen, just yet.
I also think we have been snake bitten with the chances we are getting. In time we will start capitalizing on these chances and the record will improve.

Gens-southern-fanclub

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by TipcoSr Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:53 pm

Where are the Systems? The Gens get out there and just skate around. They have zero systems in place at full strength it seems....they have one on PP and it doesn't work cause every team knows it. They are lost. They need systems implemented by the coaches. They need to play smart and stay out of the box. If they don't, then bench them. For &^*& sakes COACH them.

TipcoSr

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2011-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:21 pm

JPH wrote:One thing you can say about Beats is he is consistant. I personaly totally disagree with his outlook, but at least he doesn't switch sides.

DiPiero the GM - pretty good
Dippyiero the coach - not so much

And in the same way, I don't think Ron Wilson is a good coach because the Leafs are 2-0. He was bailed out by Reimer last year and even if the Leafs had squeaked into the playoffs, I would still think he should have been fired. He's still the guy that oversaw several San Jose collapses having some great players to work with and bullies his young Leaf players in front of the Toronto media which hinders their development. I only bring that up to say that I don't change my positive or negative outlook based on a handful of games. That's what I think the difference is between myself and others on this forum. It will take a long period of sustained success for me to like Ron Wilson and prolonged poor play to criticize De Piero.

I don't separate the coach and GM of De Piero because he brought in players that he feels work in his coaching system. I don't think you can evaluate the roles separately. In a dual role, you succeed as both or you fail as both. Historically, whenever a dual role has shifted to a single role, it doesn't go well. Sticking with the Leafs as an example, when Pat Quinn became coach only and lost the GM role, the team's fortunes sank quickly. Interpreted as a repudiation of his work, Quinn was not nearly as successful as a coach and was getting players that he didn't necessarily want on his team. Another coach wouldn't necessarily be a good fit for the players that De Piero has brought on board. It is often said that when you hire a new GM, you must allow that GM to pick his coach. I agree with that. Ownership cannot switch coaches on a GM, even if the GM's choice of coach is himself. It jeopardizes stability and is a recipe for disaster.

My opinion is that the Gens finished right where they should the last two seasons and all is going according to plan. At the start of this season, before it even started, I stated that I felt the Gens would struggle out of the gate because it often happens when you have so many players returning at different times from NHL camps. They sometimes appear disinterested as they struggle to adjust to both the disappointment of being sent back as well as adjusting back to the pace of the OHL which is very different than that of an NHL training camp. I said that I hoped that I was wrong with this prediction but it looks like I was pretty bang-on. Coaching can't overcome this, it's happened to several teams and will happen again. After three or four weeks though, these players almost always get their groove back and things go back to normal. What we're seeing now is exactly that.

If at the end of the season, the Gens never do turn it around and continue to play .500 hockey with so much talent, then you have to look at making a change but that would be at both GM and coaching in a dual-role. You always let the GM choose his coach. At the end of the season, someone else stated that winning two rounds is the minimum expectation with this roster and I agree with that. You have to let the season play out. Mid-season changes accomplish nothing but instability. If they believed in this plan two years ago, you don't bail now because of 7 or 8 games.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by federo5 Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:00 am

Gens-southern-fanclub wrote:I do not believe this has anything to do with Dips as a coach. When is the player responsible for his actions? Where is the leadership on this team? Why don't we stop looking to the coach to play the game and instead look at the leaders. I do not think the leadership on this team has stepped up with their play. If they are going to lead by example then lead by example and play a full 60 minutes not 30 minutes. If they start playing like the leaders they were chosen to be then our record is much improved. I do believe the last couple of games the play has improved but we have a long way to go. Just a quick fact here, Do you know we have not score the first goal in any game this year so far. To me that is leadership, a lack thereof
Valentine making the Ads was something I do not think the management saw coming and causes them to be behind the eight ball. At the same time they are not going to throw away the house for a puck moving defensemen, just yet.
I also think we have been snake bitten with the chances we are getting. In time we will start capitalizing on these chances and the record will improve.

I think that stems from a lack of preperation which directly reflects the coaching. Suspensions taking with one minute to go behind the oppositions team net, again coaching. If your constantly reminded to do the right things, make the right plays your going to. This team has habitual bad habits and tendencies. That is a reflection from the ultimate leader. The coach. Leadership comes in many different forms, verbal, performance ect.
Valentine would help this defence but would he help scoring first in a game? Would he help the lack of disclpline in games. Or how about late game execution aND disclpline. And what if we make big trade for a puck moving defencemen? Are we any better than the previous 4 years when we had a great one in Calvin D giving up one or two good forwards to get one. I strongly think not. Solutions. Wait it out with this generation of players, see who else we get back and give it a month afterwards to see if there is any improvement. If not. Have to make a change in philosophy. Lets be honest this last two years was suppose to be the best team we have had in a long long time. Same with Tavaras last two years. Has to be the coaching

federo5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down