Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saginaw vs Gens

+12
Hayes#21
Oshawa fan
KHE
jaycro
LX
Gens_Fan_22
hockeybeats
gensrock
gogensgo
archer_gens
generalsfan
Gens Camper
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Saginaw vs Gens Empty Saginaw vs Gens

Post by Gens Camper Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:49 am

Well McFarland - 1 star vs Petes - 3 goals - romp 9 - 1 vs Petes ouch

I think I would stop this 5 forward PP - - Ottawa - Niagara won and BULLS upset Sarnia in shoot out

Well we should have lots of energy vs Saginaw tonight - BUT we never play well vs Saginaw

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Saginaw vs Gens Empty Re: Saginaw vs Gens

Post by generalsfan Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:26 pm

Saginaw is a tale of 2 teams so far, they come in on a 3 game winning streak after starting the season 1-8.

Given how the Gens might have approached a game playing a 1-8 team, maybe the fact that the Spirit are on a 3 game winning streak will make it easier to motivate the Gens.

The help front looks good so far with both Ottawa and Peterborough losing their games 2-0 in the 2nd. Help with both would be nice, but if only 1 worked out in the Gens favour, I hope it's the Ottawa result. I see them being more of a challenge in the standings, plus they are already ahead of us with games in hand to spare.

ETA: Not bad for the Gens on the help...67's won but the Petes and Majors didn't. Win tonight and the Gens will be a point behind Ottawa for 1st in the division.

Go Gens! cheers

generalsfan

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:57 pm

Laughton is a scratch according to the announcer. Any word?
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:45 pm

19-8 shots for Saginaw, they lead 3-0. We look worse then last night, if that's possible.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by gogensgo Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:33 pm

Without a doubt, the worst hockey game I have ever watched on TV. This is the first Gens game I have watched on TV this year and almost had to stop watching and just listen like it was a radio game. I don't think I'm exaggerating to say that the almost half the game the puck was never in view. The camera/director had the shot too tight like it was a closeup and were always trailing the play and trying to catchup. Volunteers or not, that was terrible. Maybe its the Gens secret marketing plan this year to make sure people get out of the house and watch in person only Very Happy

gogensgo

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by gensrock Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:35 pm

ok.....ready.......
gensrock
gensrock

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by gensrock Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:36 pm

start bashing......................
gensrock
gensrock

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:03 pm

Great job not quitting tonight, however if your gonna fall behind by four goals, ur asking to lose.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:17 pm

Very chippy game, Generals couldn't get that big save when they needed it to keep them in it but at the same time, it wouldn't be fair to entirely pin this game on the goaltending. Saginaw looked very good. The first period was one of the most dominant I've seen any team play in awhile. When it was 3-0, the Gens seemed to have no answer and it looked like it was going to be one of those nights where nothing goes right. Good on the Gens for battling through it. I noticed Emerson Clark seemed to get more and more ice time, he had a pretty good game. Jenner is the team MVP so far this season. Thomas is struggling and really starting to show his frustration. He needs to simplify his game, not try and be fancy, just keep his shots low and hit the net. No more trying to pick the corners when you keep missing the net. A good hard low shot and let one of your teammates go for the rebound.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:18 pm

Scott Laughton sat out the game tonight with a shoulder injury.
It is a precautionay measure.

Gens_Fan_22

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:21 pm

Christian Thomas may be watching from the sidelines for awhile due to his 5 minute match penalty for high stciking. It will be interesting to see if he does get suspended and for how many games.

Gens_Fan_22

Back to top Go down

Post by generalsfan Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:35 pm

Why do we seem satisfied to have less intensity/energy/commitment than our opponents to start a game? Puzzling.

Jenner's work ethic continues to be (and has always been) great. Glad to see Clark get the ice time he did in the 3rd. We certainly turned it on for stretches in the 3rd, but it was a shame we let Saginaw do whatever they wanted in the 1st.

generalsfan

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by LX Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:58 pm

Gens_Fan_22 wrote:Christian Thomas may be watching from the sidelines for awhile due to his 5 minute match penalty for high stciking. It will be interesting to see if he does get suspended and for how many games.

a match is a min 1 game suspension... maybe more

LX

Number of posts : 190
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:33 am

Great week end = lose 2

1 Suspension + 1 injury

WE have extra bodies as Hope, Sabourin and Pattacio are eligible to play

next week end - now who sits

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:16 am

Okay, okay, not to keep banging on the same old drum but as I suggested pre-season, we should have gone after Jack Campbell for our goalie. Look how he is holding a young Spitfire club together. Altshuller is okay, but inexperienced. We could have picked Campbell up for the same price or less than what Altshuller cost. Behind our defence, we need someone who can come up with key saves. It's not all about goaltending, obviously, but that area is crucial. Althuller will be one of the better 'tenders' in the league in future but he's not what we needed now! Bailie, who knows?

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:28 am

jaycro wrote:Okay, okay, not to keep banging on the same old drum but as I suggested pre-season, we should have gone after Jack Campbell for our goalie. Look how he is holding a young Spitfire club together. Altshuller is okay, but inexperienced. We could have picked Campbell up for the same price or less than what Altshuller cost. Behind our defence, we need someone who can come up with key saves. It's not all about goaltending, obviously, but that area is crucial. Althuller will be one of the better 'tenders' in the league in future but he's not what we needed now! Bailie, who knows?

We did not lose that game because of the goaltender. We lost due to terrible defensive zone coverage around the net. Quite a few of the goals from Saginaw were downlow with a man on him. It was nice to watch a Saginaw team that is playing with lots of confidence. They really simplify the game, shoot the puck on the net, have a guy in front of the net, one timers (that hit the net), give and go's. They really made it look very easy. Oshawa could learn a few things from them. The thing that drives me crazy about this Oshawa team is that they try to get WAY WAY WAY too fancy. Short quick passing is all you need to do, none of this thread the needle through 4 pairs of legs across the ice or trying to go through 5 players at the blueline. You never saw Saginaw do that nor would you see London do that.

KHE

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by LX Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:33 am

So I'm guessing ur not a fan of our PP that has 3-4 players At the point with no one in front of the net. Or the solo efforts trying to skate through 4 defenders

LX

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:00 pm

Well I will disagree with you generalsfan, Jenners work ethic is not always great. Most of the time I will agree, but I thought he floated quite abit during saturdays game, and if he could have sparked the offence like he did last night then the game could have been closer clearly. If you want to know what I mean, it was things like the leisurely skates to the bench when the wolves were breaking the other way down the ice leaving us short.

Disagree if you want, however I am not saying he didn't play good last night, and i'm not saying he doesn't most nights. Just occasionally he reminds me of Tavares/Sundin (floating waiting for the team to get the puck to him and conserving energy).
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:29 pm

I find it hard to criticize Jenner but I was not at Saturday's game.

I think KHE hit it on the head as it LX talking about solo efforts or trying to go through 5 players. The Gens need to be far better at puck movement.

Saginaw showed last night that they are a very good team. They distribute the puck well.

Penalties hurt and the PK was not as effective (especially early on) as it needed to be.

That said the Gens did not quit and worked hard especially in the third period.

They are in real need of that dominant D-man. How they fill that need is another question.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:50 pm

Oh, I agree KHE, the loss cannot be blamed on the goaltending, in fact that's seldom the case. This team is nor prepared when they they step onto the ice. The Spirit made us look like a Pee-Wee team in the first period. Saad, McFarland and Trocheck stickhandled in and around and through us while the GENS waived their sticks at them costing us at least two goals. This Spirit team will be a force much like Sarnia once they get Shalla back.

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayes#21 Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:08 pm

I hope our coaching staff look at the tapes of this game. I personally think that this game really exposed every weak part of the Gens game.

We have talent. But the work ethic was very evident in this game. Saginaw , out hit, out skated, out shot and outworked us for most of the game. We wait until the 3RD to start matching the work ethic of Saginaw? Why can't we play the first period like we do the thrid? It is frustrating, because we all know the talent is there. They need a wake up call big time.

Kudos to coach for benching, Thomas, Lessio and Jensen halfway through the first. He needs to do that more often. So poorly accountable in our own end.

Ballie could not have stopped any of the shots that got past him.

There is a defintely a lot of lessons that can be taught from this game. Here's to hoping we learn and get better with the knowledge, we are not the best the hockey team, and will have to work a bit harder for wins than they have.

Hayes#21

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:08 pm

My impression is that Bailie wasn't pulled for poor performance but to try and send a message, a wake-up call to everybody else. It's too bad that the goalie pays for the mistakes of others but that's the way it goes sometimes. It was quite obviously not Bailie's fault. Saginaw was up over 15 shots halfway through the 1st period and many of those were from in close.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:51 pm

archer_gens............you criticized Jenners work ethic.....everything you said could apply to Thomas as well.

Gens_Fan_22

Back to top Go down

Post by nerfherder Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:35 pm

Don't let that third period make you think the Gens had a great comeback. That goalie for Saginaw let in some stinkers and as a lot of teams do when leading by a few let their foot off the gas. Kudos to Clarkie as he may not have the skill but he sure tries hard. I just wish his example would rub off on the rest of the team including the coach

nerfherder

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by sportznut Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:20 pm

I think we pretty well covered it all here, some great observations. I will say this, I do cheer for our team but.....watching Saginaw in the first period was a treat. That was hockey at its best.....now Oshawa sees where they have to be and hopefully learn from it.....maybe some of the players will see trying coast to coast rushes won't beat the good teams Wink

sportznut

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next