Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gary Agnew

+5
gensman
mygens
tapetotape
Gens Camper
steamed
9 posters

Go down

Gary Agnew Empty Gary Agnew

Post by steamed Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:10 am

This is what Coach Agnew brings to the team that Dips didn't, Quote: Gary is a no-nonsense coach and it'll be reflected in the how they play, playing the game right, right side of the puck, forechecking hard, backchecking hard, sticks in lanes blocking shots, all the things, the little intangibles that make you a successful hockey team," he said.

"If kids buy in, they'll play. If they don't buy in, no matter what number you are, you won't be playing. It's that simple." Very Happy

steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Gary Agnew Empty Re: Gary Agnew

Post by Gens Camper Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:09 am

You are right BUT the team gave up over 50 shots - not very often you win when that happens

I did like the timeout late in the game - never understand why teams don't use it more often

Dips took a timeout with what 10 seconds left and we were down by 2 - not sure why? - guess he just wanted to extend his coaching career

Great 1st period - no show in the 2nd - played parts of the 3rd

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by tapetotape Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:42 am

Agnew's words should be a implemented with any coach and understood by any player at this level. Unfortunately, Dips didn't know how to effectively enforce these values. Hopefully he sticks to his words. There's too much talent on this team to be wasted.

As far as last nights game, if he can get the kids to play like they did in the 1st period for the whole game, they will go far. New systems and breaking bad habits take a while. Hopefully these players are smart enough to do the right thing.

tapetotape

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:30 am

Amen

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:32 am

It will take a little bit of time to implemented a new system.I didn't have a chance to watch the game can anyone tell me if Agnew rolled 4 lines thru out the game?
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:39 pm

It will be about the players buying into the 'coach' - not a 'system.' It doesn't have to be a popularity contest as much as it does about respect and leadership-player chemistry. Substance over style. The 'earning ice' and 'rolling lines' mantra (often preached but seldom implemented) can and usually does correct many sins and often wins championships.

gensman

Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:38 pm

Yes 4 lines were rolled out BUT very few penalties made it easier and the lines were nothing like we have seen

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:41 pm

You can't say anything positive or negative about Agnew yet, it's too soon. Sure he said that any player will sit - every new coach says that. The Gens didn't play any better against Peterborough than they did against Kitchener. In both games, the Gens skated better than they did in the lacklustre games of the previous week and players were moving without the puck. In both games, there was more sustained pressure in the offensive end and better puck movement. In both games there was a very high number of shots against, 50+ against the Petes and 44 against Kitchener. The difference? The team they were playing against. Their records might look close but Kitchener is a far better team than Peterborough is.

I'm not saying this to discredit Agnew, simply that it's too early for him to have had any impact. There might have been a sense of waking up to the fact that they played so bad, they needed a coaching change and that would have happened no matter who the new coach was. For Agnew to actually implement anything different, it will take 20-30 games to properly evaluate. I really do wonder whether the vultures will be circling here if the improvement isn't immediate which wouldn't be fair to Agnew at all.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:16 pm

Agreed it will take time to see if the changes Agnew makes will work or if the players have the talent to do what he wants.

No matter who is coach we must agree someone has to come up with a defensive zone plan to cut down on the shots against

If we play like we did last night we could not beat Ottawa

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:30 pm

I would imagine the focus will be on the players for the remainer of the season. If they have been told & believe that they are playing for ice and opportunities - +/or are allowed to play through mistakes - this will be a fairly smooth transition. Inspired players are filled with energy and desire. Like good ref's - the better coaches are hardly noticed during a game. Agnew has been around the block a few times. He knows the deal. Two line teams only beat themselves. And I'll bet he will let the goal tending take care of itself!

gensman

Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by gogensgo Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:44 pm

Good summary of the situation:

http://www.durhamregion.com/sports/article/1239801--in-with-agnew-out-with-depiero

In with Agnew, out with DePiero
Oshawa Generals make first coaching change this Ontario Hockey League season

In with Agnew, out with DePiero. OSHAWA -- Oshawa Generals' new head coach Gary Agnew during a practice with the players at the General Motors Centre November 7. November 7, 2011 Sabrina Byrnes / Metroland
OSHAWA -- The Oshawa Generals began thinking about a coaching change as far back as last season's playoffs, says majority owner and president Rocco Tullio.

A slow start to a promising season prompted the axe to fall Sunday, as Tullio replaced Chris DePiero with Gary Agnew as head coach shortly after a 3-1 loss to the Kitchener Rangers at the General Motors Centre.

On Monday, Tullio cited undisciplined play and a lack of identity among the reasons for making the switch now, just 20 games into the Ontario Hockey League season.

"The team was under-performing in our estimation. I think to be at 8-10-2 was not acceptable. We were hoping the team would find its identity and unfortunately it didn't happen," explained Tullio. "We haven't been playing the game right for some time, undisciplined penalties and a lot of things, giving up too many shots. It's not acceptable for the amount of talent we have in that dressing room."

Agnew brings a wealth of experience at every level, most recently as an assistant coach with the Columbus Blue Jackets from 2006 to 2010.

The 51-year-old Niagara Falls native coached in the OHL for 10 years, from 1990 to 2000, and won the Matt Leyden Trophy as coach of the year twice, both with the London Knights. He also spent six years as head coach of the American Hockey League's Syracuse Crunch before moving up to the NHL.

"It was an opportunity where the timing was just perfect and we're pretty excited to have him onboard," explained Tullio, saying Agnew's contract with Columbus had recently expired. "He'll bring some accountability, some structure and some systems that hopefully we can implement and right the ship rather quickly. It's a different voice and I think we needed that."

DePiero will keep his general manager's role, while assistant coaches Joe Cirella and Roger Hunt will also stay on.

While admitting it could be a little awkward now working alongside DePiero, Agnew said he was excited about the opportunity to join such an historic franchise as the Generals.

He said his first order of business will be to deal with the players, their attitudes and their willingness to do what's best for the team.

"I'm more interested in dealing with the core values, trying to build them as a team, trying to build them and make them better players individually, and then when we look at what makes a good hockey team, we talk about competitive level and blocking shots, taking a hit to make a play," he said. "So I think initially anyway we're going to really focus on that area, rather than the x's and the o's."

DePiero joined the Generals as an assistant under coach/GM Brad Selwood in 2006, replaced Selwood as head coach near the end of the 2007-08 season, and as general manger the following season.

Last season, he guided the Generals to a 39-19-4-6 regular season and through a round of playoffs before the team was eliminated in five games by the Niagara IceDogs.

The Generals entered this season with high expectations, but have not been able to build any momentum, which DePiero admitted Monday cost him his coaching job.

"I look in the mirror and I'll take full responsibility for our record and where we're at and as part of that responsibility, sometimes you have to be brutally honest with yourself," he said. "I think he (Agnew) is going to be able to bring a different voice, different ideas to our players. We have 48 hockey games to go, so he's going to have a big chunk of the season to get what he wants across. I look forward to working with him."

Agnew and DePiero met for the first time Monday, and it went well, according to both men.

"It's a really interesting dynamic and I really like the way he's approached it," Agnew said Monday. "We had a little meeting this morning and we'll work through it for sure. It's a little uncomfortable but he's a classy guy and a true professional in the way he's dealt with it."

DePiero's main focus now, it would seem, will be to shore up a blue-line that has lost and dearly missed Calvin de Haan, Scott Valentine and Tony DeHart from last year's team. He said Monday, however, he would likely give Agnew a month or so to make his own evaluations and suggestions for change.

Tullio, meanwhile, said it's now up to the players to do their part.

"Gary is a no-nonsense coach and it'll be reflected in the how they play, playing the game right, right side of the puck, forechecking hard, backchecking hard, sticks in lanes blocking shots, all the things, the little intangibles that make you a successful hockey team," he said.

"If kids buy in, they'll play. If they don't buy in, no matter what number you are, you won't be playing. It's that simple."

gogensgo

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by TipcoSr Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:05 pm

First off I want to say I am not knocking or praising the coach. I just found the stats of Gary coaching in the O interesting...

1990-91 London Knights OHL Head 66 38 25 3 0 0.598
1991-92 London Knights OHL Head 66 37 25 4 0 0.591
1992-93 London Knights OHL Head 66 32 27 7 0 0.538
1993-94 London Knights OHL Head 66 32 30 4 0 0.515

1994-95 Kingston Frontenacs OHL Head 66 40 19 7 0 0.659
1995-96 Kingston Frontenacs OHL Head 66 29 31 6 0 0.485
1996-97 Kingston Frontenacs OHL Head 66 25 35 6 0 0.424

1997-98 London Knights OHL Head 66 40 21 5 0 0.644
1998-99 London Knights OHL Head 68 34 27 4 3 0.551
1999-00 London Knights OHL Head 68 22 36 7 3 0.397

Gary coached ten consecutive years in the O, London twice with Kingston in the middle.
Do you notice anything? Well, in these three coaching stints in the O, Gary's record got worse each year he coached. It is probably arriving when the team is older and primed to do well, then losing players the following years. Not a great trend to have really. I hope he turns that trend around here in Oshawa. I am NOT bashing him, I am just showing his 3 stints in the O. He won the Coach of the year with London twice. In the 92-93 and 97-98 seasons.

TipcoSr

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2011-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:45 pm

His playoff record in the OHL isn't super impressive either. The 94-95 Kingston team was a division champion with a record of 40-19-7 and the only reason they escaped the first round was that they were given a bye and then they lost to Belleville in round two (a .500 team). In seven of ten seasons, Agnew's teams didn't win a single playoff series, mostly first-round exits.

I hope it works out well and we can't judge whether the move was good or bad after two games but Tipco is right in that this isn't some sort of coaching god that has been brought in so maybe some of the raving about how all is well was a bit premature. I had said that De Piero deserved to have the season play out and so obviously, on the same line, so does Agnew. Let's see what happens over the next 20-30 games.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:06 pm

Before the ink was dry with his deal with Oshawa , Gary was offered a job by Hitchcock . He WILL be with St Louis next year .

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4

Number of posts : 230
Seat Section : 105
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by TipcoSr Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:53 pm

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 wrote:Before the ink was dry with his deal with Oshawa , Gary was offered a job by Hitchcock . He WILL be with St Louis next year .

Hard to say, what contract did he sign on for with the Gens? Was it the remainder of the season or was it 1,2,3,4 years?

TipcoSr

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2011-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down