Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIPS STEPS ASIDE , AGNEW NEW COACH ?????

+16
mygens
gensman
Hayes#21
Peter_Puck
Gens Camper
BOBBY ORR NUMBER4
nerfherder
newgensfan85
ohagan
steamed
jaycro
gogensgo
Gens Fan 112
federo5
archer_gens
the insider 2
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

DIPS STEPS ASIDE , AGNEW NEW COACH ?????  Empty DIPS STEPS ASIDE , AGNEW NEW COACH ?????

Post by the insider 2 Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:27 am

AGNEW NEW COACH , DIPS STAYS ON AS GM ????

the insider 2

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

DIPS STEPS ASIDE , AGNEW NEW COACH ?????  Empty Re: DIPS STEPS ASIDE , AGNEW NEW COACH ?????

Post by archer_gens Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:42 am

If true, hopefully this rights the ship, theres a strong possibility that it doesn't however, then who will the fans blame?
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

DIPS STEPS ASIDE , AGNEW NEW COACH ?????  Empty Re: DIPS STEPS ASIDE , AGNEW NEW COACH ?????

Post by federo5 Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:44 am

** deleted**

federo5

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 112 Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:40 am

Sorry to disappoint, folks, but Im signed on to the coaching staff of my sons' peewee team this year. Doesn't pay much but the fans are behind us all the way.............

Seriously tho........what?

sincerely,

B. Agnew (AKA gens fan 112)
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Number of posts : 900
Registration date : 2007-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by gogensgo Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:41 am

archer_gens wrote:If true, hopefully this rights the ship, theres a strong possibility that it doesn't however, then who will the fans blame?

What is the basis for your statement that there is a strong possibility that this change will not be successful? Not sure why you are criticizing the fans but I presume you should also include Owners along with Fans since they are the ones who did the firing, correct?

gogensgo

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 112 Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:51 am

SOME of the fans deserve a lot of critisizm. There hasn't been a lot of support for the team in recent weeks. Going to a game is rather sickening at times. One puck doesn't get cleared out the Gens end and the crowd (especially behind the players benches) turns on the team. I understand impatience but it has to be hard to play under those conditions. Nobodys happy with how this is going what with all the hope and promise this season brought. I agree with Archer that changing the coach is not a guarantee of better things. I hope this is the beginning of a turn-around in their season but changing one piece of it doesnt guarantee a thing.
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Number of posts : 900
Registration date : 2007-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by gogensgo Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:21 am

Gens Fan 112 wrote:SOME of the fans deserve a lot of critisizm. There hasn't been a lot of support for the team in recent weeks. Going to a game is rather sickening at times. One puck doesn't get cleared out the Gens end and the crowd (especially behind the players benches) turns on the team. I understand impatience but it has to be hard to play under those conditions. Nobodys happy with how this is going what with all the hope and promise this season brought. I agree with Archer that changing the coach is not a guarantee of better things. I hope this is the beginning of a turn-around in their season but changing one piece of it doesnt guarantee a thing.

I'll never understand people who criticize others for criticizing as the irony is fascinating - thanks for putting a smile on my face to start the day.

Archer didn't use the word 'guarantee' and implied something else. Maybe that is what he meant or maybe he doesn't like his playoff record history or maybe there is something else that is causing him to think this doesn't have a chance of working so how about we let him provide his own response as I'd like to know his thoughts to get a sense as to whether there is something about the new coach that would be helpful to know.

gogensgo

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:03 am

How about Davis Payne, just fired by St. Louis? Don't remember Agnew's track record from previous employment stints in the league but nothing jumps out as much above average. If true, I hope this is not an act of desperation!

Last edited by jaycro on Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:20 am

Posted on twitter
@RealKyper
Nick Kypreos #OHL news. Oshawa Generals will announce Gary Agnew as new head coach as early as today. Chris DePiero will now handle GM duties only.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by ohagan Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:57 am

Thanks for the confirmation steamed.

ohagan

Number of posts : 360
Seat Section : 119 standing room
Registration date : 2010-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by newgensfan85 Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:05 pm

what i dont get is fans that dont exactly stand behind there team... win or lose its hockey one team will win one team will lose yes some teams win more then they lose but i dont like when oshawa's own fans boo them for the plays they make or etc... hockey is a game where one wins one doesnt some years you win more some you lose more tough titty said the kitty its a sport enjoy watching two teams go at it

newgensfan85

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:28 pm

The problem isn't one of winning or losing but of playing up to potential. Yes, it's nice to win but it's frustrating being where the team is after predictions of it being a top team in the conference, if not in the entire league.

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by nerfherder Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:59 pm

jaycro wrote:The problem isn't one of winning or losing but of playing up to potential. Yes, it's nice to win but it's frustrating being where the team is after predictions of it being a top team in the conference, if not in the entire league.

I agree jaycro and it is not frustrating just losing. It is how this team loses game after game, the lack of discipline and structure when we all know we have the talent to be better.
Lets hope the boys get a wake up call and show some respect for Mr.Agnew and hope he has a plan. I wish them nothing but the best.

nerfherder

Number of posts : 144
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:59 pm

If they do not get the "wake up call" this team will be dismantled by the trade deadline . As Mr Tullio eloquently put it to the team last night during their meeting

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4

Number of posts : 230
Seat Section : 105
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:25 pm

It is a fact last night if you watch the western conference teams - very few

players are selfish with the puck , they don't take a shift off.

That is what I would like to see -

this season we have been an easier teams to play against - last year we took teams by surprise BUT this year our guys have not adjusted - not sure WHY ??

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:32 pm

I don't like to see anyone lose their job BUT in sports sooner or later it happens - I do like the fact our new coach was in London plus coach of the year

also great OHL experience and NHL ASSISTANT welcome to Oshawa

Text Size
OSHAWA, Ont. -- Gary Agnew was named the head coach of the Ontario Hockey League's Oshawa Generals on Monday.

Agnew replaces Chris DePiero, who will stay with the organization as general manager.

"I'm thrilled to be a part of this tremendous organization," said Agnew in a statement. "The Oshawa Generals have a long and distinguished history and I'm confident that we can add to that winning tradition this year.

"We have a very strong team and I look forward to working with everyone here."

The native of Niagara Falls, Ont., is no stranger to the OHL. He was head coach of the London Knights from 1990-94 and 1997-2000. Agnew also coached the Kingston Frontenacs from 1994-97.

He won the Matt Leydon Trophy twice as the OHL's coach of the year with London.

Agnew was the assistant coach of the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets from 2006 to 2010, and briefly served as interim head coach.

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter_Puck Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:41 pm

Head Coach has to be fired first. It is about accountability, the "meeting" that took place with the players' is to call attention that ownership is aware, and that it is time to shape up or be shipped out. Individuals don't win championships, teams do! There are trades that need to be made and this will fall on Dips, I doubt he will make the mistake of losing another paycheck. We need a leader for defense, it clearly is not Maggio (oops we overpaid for him), perhaps two defenseman. The defensive pairings are a joke. I hope Joe was given a talking too as well, or he will be gone as well. Maybe Joe and Dips never got along!

Kudos to Tullio for making a decision!
Peter_Puck
Peter_Puck

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2010-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayes#21 Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:42 pm

This will be interesting. I personally like the style of hockey the West plays, better than the East. They ususally have a much stronger conference. It may be nice to have the strong West influence on our team. I certainly hope it works in our favour.

Dips has drafted some very talented players. I think he has done a good job as GM.

Hayes#21

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:53 pm

Looks like a major upgrade to me. A definate investment into the future. With a third of the season gone and batting only (.450) there is time to resurrect the Good Ship Gennie!

gensman

Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by ohagan Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:51 pm

I wonder if Agnew will bring in his own crew of assistant coaches or stick with who's here already?

ohagan

Number of posts : 360
Seat Section : 119 standing room
Registration date : 2010-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:01 pm

I would assume he keeps the current crew at least for the rest of the season and evaluates them.

If you remember DIPS did not hire Joe or Roger ownership did

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:59 pm

I imagine Dips will be more of a consultant as this point. It will be a strange situation for the new coach to take marching orders from the newly 'gassed' coach. That was the hazard of the 'leap of faith' that management took with the untested coaching/gm experiment. More than likely Dips will be out of the picture at the end of the season win, lose, or draw. The Selwood house should have been totally cleaned out. Brighter days ahead!

gensman

Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:46 pm

well it seems the owner has been paying attention to this poorly coached , underachieving team , dips has had plenty of opportunity to get it done , he's just not an effecting coach at this level , but as i have said on numerous occasions , he does a good jog as GM . Keep in my folks this is not a young rookie team , where everyone needs to be patient , we all have been very patient , and this is an experienced , veteran team , that is not getting it done , something had to happen .
the dramatic drop in attendance is what has finally precipitated tullios move , our fans are just damn tired of losing , 1997 is a long time ago already , this is our best chance this year before the proverbial "rebuild " starts again for what seems like the 10 th time .
Mr AGNEW has a tonne of experience and success , lets hope he can effect a change this year , i for one am tired of being patient !!!!

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by generalsfan Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:23 pm

Hopefully we see a renewed energy and drive with the team now. Could be the motivation they need. Maybe some new ideas, approaches, and hearing things from someone else will be what gets things back on track. The 2 sides of the coin in terms of results will be interesting. We could see immediate positive results (consistently strong work ethic from players wanting to impress, doing everything they can to get the new coach/team wins right away) to also being realistic that prolonged success may not come right away since it will take a bit of time for Agnew to put his own stamp on things and get things running the way he wants.

With the next 4 games being against east division opponents, the timing could be good. I'm looking forward to the Gens playing division opponents this week/weekend with extra motivation to win.

generalsfan

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:32 pm

A new coach with new ideas and players who want to impress the new coach or risk being benched or traded my bet is you will see a new fire lit under the BUTTS of our GENS.

With our talent and we have 1 of the worst power plays - that will change then after 4 games Thomas will be back

BETTER days are ahead - GO GENS GO - I AM EXITED

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next