Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIPS STEPS ASIDE , AGNEW NEW COACH ?????

+16
mygens
gensman
Hayes#21
Peter_Puck
Gens Camper
BOBBY ORR NUMBER4
nerfherder
newgensfan85
ohagan
steamed
jaycro
gogensgo
Gens Fan 112
federo5
archer_gens
the insider 2
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

DIPS STEPS ASIDE , AGNEW NEW COACH ?????  - Page 2 Empty Re: DIPS STEPS ASIDE , AGNEW NEW COACH ?????

Post by hockeybeats Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:16 pm

gensman wrote:I imagine Dips will be more of a consultant as this point. It will be a strange situation for the new coach to take marching orders from the newly 'gassed' coach.

Well there's the first time I agree with gensman on something. I said earlier that you can't separate the evaluation of a coach and GM to be good at one thing and bad at the other. In a dual role, the GM builds the team that he wants to coach. It's also convention that the GM picks their coach. If an owner needs to go above the GM and replace the coach (or in this case, they happen to be the same person), it would be very strange to leave someone that had a dual role with one role. That was the scenario when the Leafs hired JFJ and left Pat Quinn with only coaching duties. Having a GM that didn't pick the coach is not the conventional way of doing things. Hopefully I'm wrong and it works out. For the Leafs, it didn't. That was 2004 and they haven't made the playoffs ever since.

What's done is done. If De Piero is out entirely at the end of the season, I'm confident he'll surface with another team in a year or two and he'll succeed there. For whatever reason, it didn't work out here. Some think that he can't coach and we'll agree to disagree. At the end of the day, the results weren't there and as usually happens in hockey, justly or unjustly, the coach takes the fall.

Agnew has a lot of experience in the OHL and AHL and hopefully he's the right choice. Go Gens Go!

Last edited by hockeybeats on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

DIPS STEPS ASIDE , AGNEW NEW COACH ?????  - Page 2 Empty Re: DIPS STEPS ASIDE , AGNEW NEW COACH ?????

Post by archer_gens Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Sorry it took so long to post what I meant, but what I meant was it could be to little to late to right the season. The last time we changed coaches during the season we got cold for more then a dozen games while the players learned the new system. Can the Generals deal with losing the majority of there next 10-20 games and then turn it around and make a late season run, it's possible.

Of course the othere scenario is that the system wasn't broken and that i was more of a respect thing and the coach had just lost the players. If that's the case the team could get hot fast now that they want to play.

I guess there's also the possibility that the team changes systems and gets hot super fast.

One thing is for sure this single move is not enough to get us deep enough into the playoffs, I believe we are still a player or more away from that.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:06 am

Someone on the NOOF posted that De Piero wasn't fired and this move was initiated by De Piero or at least a mutual agreement - that De Piero stepped aside as coach and they together decided that staying on as GM was best for the team. If that is the case, that would negate some of what I said because the GM did pick the coach. Effectively, he fired himself and hired Agnew as coach in consultation with ownership. That seems logical seeing as it would be strange to have a newly hired coach reporting to a previously fired coach. It's still quite an unorthodox scenario but that makes a little more sense.

To be fair, "steps aside" was the wording the of the original post here as well but the spirit of the discussion was that he was fired.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by TipcoSr Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:40 am

According this this article, which includes a Dips interview, Dips was not part of the decision...he just accepted the decision and challenge it will bring. Have a read... http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey/news?slug=ss-deposed_depiero_marches_oshawa_generals11711

TipcoSr

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2011-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by sportznut Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:12 am

Lots of time to turn this team around, next move is to fill the hole on defence. The new coach hopefully will bring in some effective systems so the team can play to its potential. I hope we move on a defencemen(maybe 2) soon so the team has time to gell and adjust to the changes. There is plenty of season left to have the team gell and perfect timing to climax in the playoffs.
In my opinion, the first move I would like to see from the coach is to discipline these guys to stay out the box...so many dumb penalities. At any rate, its nice to see the brass make a change in an effort to turn this team around. I wish the boys the best of luck.

Go Gens Go

sportznut

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:19 am

whatever , dipiero would never have resigned , he loved controlling the whole show , he was sacked because of his teams sad performance and lack of development , plain and simple , i'm glad he was honest about not being part of the decision , he'll stay on and try to find the missing parts in trades while agnew focuses on practice and games getting to know his players , I'm sure any of dips moves will be discussed with agnew and rosso before any trade is completed .
its a bit of a strange situation , i;m sure this time around the owner will not let deals be done that hurt the team , like selwood did befiore he left .

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:50 pm

Now I don't know to much about Gary Agnew,I know he won 2 coach of the year with London,and in Kingston won a division tittle,but does anyone know the term of the contract,has he signed for this year and to be evaluated @ the end of season for further employment,also where does this leave Cirella & Hunt by the sounds so far there still behind the bench,does anyone have any info?also is keeping DePiero as GM just to finish his contract ends in 2012 or extend contract as GM or is it wait and see what he does,or Rocco has some one else in mind?
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Keeping Dips around is probably a financial decision and not because of any of his drafting or trading magic. I can't see him making any 'independant' managerial decisions and he will more than likely 'lame duck it' until after the upcoming draft. The new coach will probably decide which assistants he wants to work with. Most eventually clear the deck and start fresh with those they trust. Once the table has been cleared I doubt that ownership will put themselves into this kind of awkward position again any time soon. A tough lesson - but what has been done is done!

gensman

Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by TipcoSr Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:46 pm

gensman wrote:Keeping Dips around is probably a financial decision and not because of any of his drafting or trading magic. I can't see him making any 'independant' managerial decisions and he will more than likely 'lame duck it' until after the upcoming draft. The new coach will probably decide which assistants he wants to work with. Most eventually clear the deck and start fresh with those they trust. Once the table has been cleared I doubt that ownership will put themselves into this kind of awkward position again any time soon. A tough lesson - but what has been done is done!

I don't buy that at all. If the Organization is operating this way, then they have alot more problems than the current product on the ice. Dips is very respected around ALL hockey circles. A few fans on here can't stand him, but I am willing to bet that they not only don't know him, but they probably haven't even met him. Dips does have a good Resume and he HAS made some great trades/drafts and brought in a great group that is playing right now. For whatever reason, the team has not come together on the ice this year and a decision was made to shake things up. Dips contract expires at the end of this season. The money it would cost to get rid of him totally right now is really not that much. Dips was kept on as GM because the ownership group value him as an employee of the Oshawa Generals as they should.

I really think you folks should get on with your lives and quit repeating yourselves on Dips. You wanted him out as coach and that has been done. Time for you to celebrate YOUR victory and move on to complain about something else. This Dips stuff has really been beaten to death.

Go Gens Go

TipcoSr

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:06 pm

TipcoSr wrote:
gensman wrote:Keeping Dips around is probably a financial decision and not because of any of his drafting or trading magic. I can't see him making any 'independant' managerial decisions and he will more than likely 'lame duck it' until after the upcoming draft. The new coach will probably decide which assistants he wants to work with. Most eventually clear the deck and start fresh with those they trust. Once the table has been cleared I doubt that ownership will put themselves into this kind of awkward position again any time soon. A tough lesson - but what has been done is done!

I don't buy that at all. If the Organization is operating this way, then they have alot more problems than the current product on the ice. Dips is very respected around ALL hockey circles. A few fans on here can't stand him, but I am willing to bet that they not only don't know him, but they probably haven't even met him. Dips does have a good Resume and he HAS made some great trades/drafts and brought in a great group that is playing right now. For whatever reason, the team has not come together on the ice this year and a decision was made to shake things up. Dips contract expires at the end of this season. The money it would cost to get rid of him totally right now is really not that much. Dips was kept on as GM because the ownership group value him as an employee of the Oshawa Generals as they should.

I really think you folks should get on with your lives and quit repeating yourselves on Dips. You wanted him out as coach and that has been done. Time for you to celebrate YOUR victory and move on to complain about something else. This Dips stuff has really been beaten to death.

Go Gens Go

TipcoSr well said cheers

steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:23 pm

Dips is very respected around ALL hockey circles. A few fans on here can't stand him, but I am willing to bet that they not only don't know him, but they probably haven't even met him. Dips does have a good Resume and he HAS made some great trades/drafts and brought in a great group that is playing right now.

Nice to know somebody else realizes that! For those who were so amazed at my stubborn loyalty, this is the reason why. Well said. If he does end up leaving at the end of the season, he will succeed somewhere else.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:41 am

seems to me you folks are confusing dips as a nice guy that hockey people like around the league , with a success as a coach , there is nothing to respect as a coach , he hasn't won anything here nor has team got any better until his guidance , there has never been any system that anyone that i talk to can see , his choice of line mates has been brutal , and the PP has sucked since he has been here , even though we have had some very talented forwards , never met the man , I'm sure he's a very nice guy , but that doesn't make him a great coach , nor does it mean he will be successful as a coach anywhere else .
i'm just thankful we get to try someone else , so tired a shitty coaching coming thru here !

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by TipcoSr Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:01 am

mygens....seems to me that you a) don't know how to read, b) don't understand what you read, c) know nothing about hockey, d) want to cause or create problems e) all of the above.

I pick E.

Go back and read my post....first, I never even typed the word coach. I knew someone would respond in a negative light. Steamed and hockeybeats have it right. If your so great, why aren't you doing the job....or one in the NHL? You have said the same thing over and over and over for so long that I thought time stopped. It is time you GET OVER IT. It would also be nice if you actually read and understand posts before you respond.

THINK BEFORE YOU POST!!

This is the last Dips post I am going to respond to. Carry on if you will.

TipcoSr

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:44 am

Well tipco, this is a blog where members can respectfully voice their opinion , if you.re tired of reading some of us rant about coaching , then don't read the blog it's that simple , and you don't have to be rude !
We are in this mess because an organization , kept on a coach that didn't bring enough skill sets to the table to get the job done, plain and simple , and as I have stated dips has done a good job as gm in regards to player movement .
Whether or not dips is a great guy or your best friend is immaterial to most of us who want to see the gens compete at a high level again , it's been a long while , but perhaps you haven't been around long enough yourself to realize that
SO sit back , take a deep breath , stay away from personal insults of other bloggers , and either enjoy the site , or if not please find something else to do !

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2