Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CHL LOOKING TO BANNED FIGHTING FOR 2012-2013 SEASON!!

+5
mygens
JPH
LX
archer_gens
Oshawa fan
9 posters

Go down

CHL LOOKING TO BANNED FIGHTING FOR 2012-2013 SEASON!! Empty CHL LOOKING TO BANNED FIGHTING FOR 2012-2013 SEASON!!

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Well if this is true,i will no longer go to another CHL,OHL game ever again...This is PURE BS...Another reason why the game of hockey is going down the toilet...I REALLY REALLY REALLY HOPE THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/sports/hockey/fighting-in-amateur-hockey-leagues-may-be-on-way-out.html

Any thoughts

Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

CHL LOOKING TO BANNED FIGHTING FOR 2012-2013 SEASON!! Empty Re: CHL LOOKING TO BANNED FIGHTING FOR 2012-2013 SEASON!!

Post by Oshawa fan Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:57 pm

I go to watch hockey not fights. I think with the medical evidence now available regarding the long term impact of blows to the head the CHL has very little choice in the matter.

The NHL will be faced with the same choice at some point in the future. The NFL is already be sued by former players over head injuries. The potential liability on the leagues is quite significant especially for leagues where players are under the age of 18.

As a hockey fan i have no difficulty with the rule if that is what happens.

It also has to do with selling the game to future generations. With over-protective parents already not wanting their kids to play hockey due to purported violence the game needs to change its image.

For those of you who support fighting please tell me how to deal with the issue of repeated blows to the head and long-term damage risks.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

CHL LOOKING TO BANNED FIGHTING FOR 2012-2013 SEASON!! Empty Re: CHL LOOKING TO BANNED FIGHTING FOR 2012-2013 SEASON!!

Post by archer_gens Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:45 pm

So don't go.

It's hockey. Not UFC.

That said I believe that as long as fighting is allowed in the NHL and AHL that the CHL will have a tough time banning it all together. While not so drastic it would be like having trapezoid in the NHL and not in the CHL.

Many players are playing CHL to try to get to the NHL. If they want to practice part of the game then that should be there right.

My suggsetion would be tougher instigator rules, so as to make sure that a player forcing another player to fight would lead to a longer penalty or suspension. If two guys want to go at it, it's a free country. Who's to stop them.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by LX Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:02 pm

fighting is a part of hockey.. always has been and always should be.. im almost certain that after a fight all the fans are cheering, but i might be wrong.. if u dont like it then please go watch some ringette. taking fighting out of the game will create a lot more "stick work" from players that get angry.. if they want a way to stop all the "head shots" which do need to go.. start suspending the players that turns their backs or "duck" at the last moment.. ive seen so many highlights of suspensions of the player recieving the hits that duck at the last second to draw a penalty and get hurt..

LX

Number of posts : 190
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:56 pm

LX wrote:fighting is a part of hockey.. always has been and always should be.. if u dont like it then please go watch some ringette.

I have been going to hockey games for a very long time. I admit that there was a time where I enjoyed watching the fights including bench clearing brawls. Over the years I find that I no longer enjoy fighting.

Seeing a player staggered by a punch to the head causes me great concern. No one knows what the impact will be on that player's future health. (yes I am aware of the study that the NHL relies on but there is clear evidence that blows to the head cause long-term damage.) Perhaps it is from the perspective as a former hockey parent but more likely it is a recognition that any plan to reduce hits the head must address the fighting issue.

The game has to evolve in certain ways. Players did not wear helmets and goaltenders did not wear masks. I appreciate that a suspension for fighting (that is really what a ban would mean) is different but protection of the players short term and long term health is important.

Oshawa fan

Back to top Go down

Post by JPH Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:17 am

Get rid of fighting = Increase the chance of injury with cheapshot palys. That is my simplistic opinion on the the matter.

I enjoy the fighting. I don't buy half the crap I hear about the big bad fist, and its ability to cause all this damage. These guys arent having 12 round bouts every 2 nights. How many guys are really getting concussed, and such in fights?

I simply fail to see the connection here, and I figure its just a scapegoat to push their non fighting hockey.

JPH

Number of posts : 172
Seat Section : Somewhere in Section 119
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:43 am

The leagues are looking for a skapegoat , or to at look like they are trying to deal with the concussion issue , fighting in hockey has ver little to do with concussions , it's all bs . In fact I think the consequences of banning fighting will just make the cheap shots from behind and stick work even more prevalent , it's a physical sport , I have been watching hockey for over 50 yrs , rarely do serious injuries occur in a hockey fight , lose a tooth , broken nose or jaw at the very worst . Why. Are there more concussed players today than ever before , it's not fighting , there are much fewer fights than in the past
It just doesn't add up , look at the pads , bring back the centre ice , red line offside , slow the game down a bit , give players 5 min minors , where a team is short handed the full 5 mins for hits from behind into the boards

Another issue , as the game has gotten faster , these players have not really prepared themselves to take the physical hits , compare hockey players to basketball or football players hockey players are not muscular enough in the upper bodies to deal with the hits , so look at muscular fitness around the necks , you want to reduce neck and head injuries

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:52 am

If the ohl bans fighting I will stop going to the games for sure, I refuse to support the American bastArdization of our great Canadian game , look at the game carefully , there are more serious injuries today than ever before , In my oppionion directly related to the increase in protective gear , these guys are wearing , simplify the equipment so these Players are all a bit more respectful of each other, and I guaranty there would be fewer head infractions with sticks and fewer guys being torpedoed into the boards .... No don't you dare take out fighting , it's the great equalizer that keeps things in check , in fact I woul go one further I would take out the instigator rule period

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by LX Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:39 am

mygens wrote: in fact I woul go one further I would take out the instigator rule period

That stupid rule needs to go. Think a few games ago when thomas took that cheap shop and Clark dropped the gloves to help out. No instigator means players r a lil more cautious when throwing a big, possible cheap hit.

LX

Number of posts : 190
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:47 am

mygens wrote: fighting in hockey has ver little to do with concussions , it's all bs .

There was a study done several years ago on a Tier 2 team that found 25% of fights produced concussion like symptoms. A ban on fighting is only part of the battle to deal with head injuries and the long-term effects.

I understand very well that there are many other issues that create head injuries. Bigger, stronger players are part of that but also we now have the knowledge to recognize head injuries that before were just shrugged off. We are now seeing some long term results from former players as well.

Banning fighting is an easy way to make it look like something is being done. It is only something but not enough as I agree that there are many other causes of head injuries as well.

None of the supporters have addressed the issue that part of the problem for the CHL is that some of the players are minors. This is an additional legal problem for the leagues.

Anyway I will be renewing my season's tickets on the 3 year plan again whatever the decision is on fighting.

Oshawa fan

Back to top Go down

Post by the croc Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:12 pm

You have all touched on the reason for this POSSIBLE rule change. Nothing to do with concussive injuries.... try insurance companies and ambulance chasing lawyers. Shakespeare was right...kill all the l......

the croc

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:03 pm

the croc wrote:You have all touched on the reason for this POSSIBLE rule change. Nothing to do with concussive injuries.... try insurance companies and ambulance chasing lawyers. Shakespeare was right...kill all the l......

While I disagree that has nothing to do with concussive issues I agree it is not the main factor. It is one that is easy to fix.

We are kidding ourselves if we think that ultimately the NHL will not succumb to the same pressures. Insurers will be raising their rates to insure players to a point where the NHL has to take steps as well.

Oshawa fan

Back to top Go down

Post by GoGennies Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:28 pm

they've also mentioned the word 'ban' has been wrongly used. they are looking at moving to a fight and your done for the night type of rule.

GoGennies

Number of posts : 231
Seat Section : at the computer
Registration date : 2007-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:45 pm

Done for the night rule or suspensions will lead to the same thing , more cheap shots and stick imjuries , unless of course the next step to make all hockey non contact including the NHL , that will eliminate most if not all concussions , it however will also result in empty buildings and the end of hockey as we know it , then everyone will be happy right , no insurance claims m no millionaire hockey players , all these hockey players will look forward to their new safe jobs working the mines in northern ontario or oil fields of alberta , where they will be more or less safe and will be able to collect their 25 yr company watch when they are done .".......of course there are risks , life is full of risk , where can these guys ever make 4 million a year again
.....everyone needs to stop whining and feeling sorry for theses
Guys , give me a friggin break

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:48 pm

The ohl is not amateur hockey , one way or another these kids get paid , ban fighting in amateur sport where people play for the recreation, but not where they will get paid millions for entertaining us for our hard earned dollars.

The ohl eliminates fighting , I quit the ohl , save 2000 per year , it's that simple for me

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:52 pm

As soon as the powers that be come to their senses ,and realize the trickle down effect of banning hockey fights , ....a multimillion dollar industry , this will all go away ".."...branch is an idiot just playing politics for his own good , for his own exposure .

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:54 pm

It's simple all those ivory tower guys need to do to get the real pulse on fighting in hockey is do a referendum amongst all players of the game .....it will be a resounding No ,I' m very sure .

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:52 am

Penalties and suspensions are handed out with check to the head.
They allow players to fight and punch each other in the head and only get 5 minute penalties.
Doesn't make sense.
I say fighting will be banned in the OHL.

Gens_Fan_22

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:33 pm

They take fighting out of Hockey and the arenas will be even more empty then before...they will start to lose revenue and money,more cheap shots will occur and you will be left with players who cant defend themselves when apon arrival to the NHL witch will lead to even bigger problems then.It will be a viscouis cycle that has no good ending....I think its total BS,the concussions are coming from hits and not the fights...The 3 deaths that occurred where from alchohol & drug abuse and depression but now where did it say that it was from the fighting itself. The crosby being out,due all to hits,the chara incident due to a brutal hit, hits, hits, hits,.its all about the head shot.So the fact that david "my sh!t dont stink" branch wants to take fighting out of the game is just pure BS.And if its true will not support it!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by gensfan4life3232 Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:21 pm

same here.
gensfan4life3232
gensfan4life3232

Number of posts : 180
Seat Section : sec 114 row 6 seat 8
Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down