Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summer Trades and Activity amongst OHL Sqauds

+8
chupa81
mcintyre
UGENS
steamed
5forfighting
jaycro
nerfherder
Macker88
12 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Summer Trades and Activity amongst OHL Sqauds Empty Summer Trades and Activity amongst OHL Sqauds

Post by Macker88 Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:11 pm

The suitcase Tyson Teichmann (G) has been moved from Mississauga to Kitchener for draft picks.

Sam Studnicka traded to Ottawa from Windsor for draft picks.

Matt Mahalek (G) traded from Plymouth to Kingston for draft picks. ( Kingston continuing the trend of acquiring a veteran goalie prior to the season).

*Mahalek is a good pick up for Kingston in my opinion, they where a good young team last season an will be serious contenders in 2013-2014.

*Teichmann will probably once again backup like he's done for most of his career as he's never been overly impressive as a starter, but playing for a strong team like Kitchener may benefit him.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Summer Trades and Activity amongst OHL Sqauds Empty Re: Summer Trades and Activity amongst OHL Sqauds

Post by nerfherder Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:38 pm

Kitchener is said to have a weaker team this year. They are talking about rebuilding

nerfherder

Number of posts : 144
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Summer Trades and Activity amongst OHL Sqauds Empty Re: Summer Trades and Activity amongst OHL Sqauds

Post by jaycro Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:13 pm

I see 19 year old Cody Payne has been traded from the Whalers to Saginaw for a 2nd and a 3rd a few years down the road. Thought Cody had the stuff to be a first or second line power forward for the Gennies but he has disappointed to date although this past season was not bad. He may yet prove to me he had/has that potential. Also traded to Dallas from Boston this past year.

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by 5forfighting Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:29 pm

I thought I read somewhere that Teichmann was going to by the starter in Kitchener this year. Not sure where i read that....

5forfighting

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Neither Vienneau (92) nor Gibson(93) will return this year and they will lose a ton of veteran talent so Teichmann will be the veteran starter for that club. unless they make a further trade, bet on it. He certainly has bounced around.

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:53 pm

Teichman - It makes sense that he is being given the starters role, He is an overage player going into 2013-2014. Like its been mentioned Kitchener will lose Vienneau and Gibson, they will also likely lose a number of top tier players. Corrado is likely headed to Chicago of the AHL if not Vancouver. Ryan Murphy is headed to Charlotte of the AHL if not Carolina, Puempel will be headed to Binghamton & Levio will be headed to Toronto of the AHL. They also lose Alberga & Schoenmakers to OA. Tobias Reider may be kept as an OA but since he's an import, but I see him being traded or sent to San Antonio of the AHL as he was traded to Phoenix last season.

Francesco Vilardi to Plymouth from Kingtson for draft picks.
- Vilardi spent 2012-2013 in the OPJAHL with the Kingston Voyageurs, scoring 9 goals and adding 13 assists for 22 points in 51 games. Seems like a depth move on Plymouth's part as they sure to lose a number of quality player next season.

Cody Payne to Saginaw from Plymouth for 2nd round pick in 2015 & 3rd round pick in 2016.
- Looks as if Plymouth is in full out rebuild. They lose Mitchell Heard, Austin Levi & Colin McDonald to OA. Trocheck, Rakell, & Noesen to the AHL.. if not NHL. An have since 93's on the Roster so will likely lose more guys from last season. Tom Wilson also showed well in his AHL/NHL call up once Plymouth was ousted from the OHL playoffs and could likely stick in the NHL.

-Payne, Cody Payne is a big bodied forward who has steadily gotten better as his OHL career has gone on. He may have benefited from playing with a good Plymouth squad last season, but either way he's and NHL drafted forward with good size and decent speed, his skating is some what of an issue, but it looks like a good pick up for the Spirit. In my opinion he'll likely put up 30 goals and 30 assists next season.. give or take a few. An a 30 goal scorer for a couple picks is a win in my books.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:17 pm

Sean Callaghan to Saginaw from Ottawa for Connor Graham & a 3rd round pick in 2014.
- Graham played in Austria last season. Callaghan had 2 goals and 5 assists for 7 points in 65 games. Callaghan posted 104 penalty minutes and was a -37 on a very bad 67s team. Seems like Saginaw picked up Callaghan for some toughness and veteran leadership on the back end.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Good summary Macker88. Dead on with your observations. Wish we were talking Gennies moves here instead of Saginaw's or Plymouth's. Don't see much happening here though. Too much up in the air with Laughton, Lessio and Biggs and their future placements. Not a lot of draft choices to move and not a great deal of talent to trade. Maybe in Sept. when the composition of the team is clearer?

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:42 pm

Thanks jaycro.
I too wish it was the Generals making some moves here, since Thowey (or however your spell it) has taken over the Gens have been pretty quite trade wise.
I personally think, Biggs will be with the Marlies, the Leafs spent a 1st round pick on the kid, an while I think another OHL season would be best for him, its hard for me to see him back with then Generals. As far as Lessio goes, he to could benefit from an OA season in the OHL, but given Phoenix's situation, an lack of talented forwards in their system I see him with San Antonio of the AHL. Laughton is really 50/50, I feel like Philadelphia will see the benefit of sending him back to the O. He'll get to play in the subway series, likely the world juniors an be a top line player. With that being said I think the Generals should trade him.

All we will have up front is Laughton, Dal Colle and Cassels. We are definitely in the middle of a rebuild and Laughton would fetch a big return from a team like London, Owen Sound, Guelph, Saginaw, Soo Sault Marie or Sudbury, all teams with a good shot a league championship next seasons, and from the west with the exception of Sudbury.

Robbi Fabbri from Guelph would be my main target as he's a 96 and had a great rookie season. Miles Liberati and one of Jacob Jammes, Kyle Platzer or Remi Elle would be my targets from London. I think its crucial the Gens add a good young defensemen in any deal for Laughton. Matt Schmalz & Evan de Haan from Sudbury would make some sense for me coming in return for Laughton. Its hard to say who the Soo, Owen Sound or Saginaw would offer but in my opinion they make sense as possible landing points if the Generals decide to move Laughton

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:54 am

Saginaw has acquired Kristoff Kontos from the Mississauga Steelheads in exchange for a 4th round pick in 2014 and a 7th round pick in 2015

Kontos is going into his overage season, posted 17 goals and 20 assists for 37 points in 68 games, and was a minus 22 an racked up 22 penalty minutes.

Kontos, his best season was 2011-2012, his third in the OHL which he split between Sudbury and Mississauga, he put up 47 points in 66 games and was a minus 8. Look for Kontos to put up between 40-50 points in 2013-2014. He's a big bodied player, not overly physical but a reasonable 2nd-3rd line player. In my opinion he'll likely be traded again at some point this season, with Eric Locke and Steven Strong likely back as OA's, Kontos would be their 3rd, an if Saginaw is a real playoff threat, they'll likely want to add a far more productive over ager rather then fill that spot with a 3rd line role player.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:09 am

Carter Sandlack to Plymouth from Belleville for a 4th round pick in 2014.

Patrick Watling to Soo Sault Marie from Guelph for Windsor's 4th round pick in 2014.

Sandlack, Sandlack was one of 9 1993 age players on the Belleville Bulls roster. He is undrafted in the NHL an is destined to play his Overage season in the OHL, with guys like Michael Curtis, Jake Worrad, Scott Simmonds and Austen Brassard, this move was more or less a necessity, as will a few more moves. Sandlack has underachieved to say the least after being the 11th overall pick in the 09 OHL draft. Players such as Brett Ritchie, Anthony Camara, Stuart Percy, Cody Ceci & Scott Harrington where all selected after him. Last season was Sandlack's best statistically, with 23 points in 60 games. Sandlack is a big bodied checking forward who can contribute here an there offensively, but should not be relied upon to score. Plymouth adds a third line character player. Just a side note Belleville's 1st round pick in 09 was Tyson Teichman, who I consider a bust as a 1st rounder. They also had Alain Quine and Austen Brassard who where also 09 1st round picks on their roster this past season.

Watling, Watling was a 10th round pick of the Guelph Storm in 2009 and is going home to finish his OHL career. Watling is a Soo Sault Marie native who played all 3 of his OHL seasons with the Storm, racking up 18 goals and 30 assists for 48 points in 122 OHL games. In 2012-2013 his goal total doubled from 6 to 12 as his ice time increased. Look for Watling to play a bigger role on a young Soo team. His ice time will likely increase again in his OA season an he'll more then likely see an increase in points, toping out at between 16-22 goals and 16-25 assists. Looks like the Soo merely made this trade to bring home a Native of the town as well as some character and age to the dressing room

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:48 pm

Michael Curtis & Mississauga's 3rd Round Pick in 2014 to Erie for Luke Cairns.

Belleville dealt with their overage situation some what in this trade, and did well in doing so. They had to give up a 3rd round pick in 2014 along with Curtis but acquired a 4th year player in Cairns who has seen is point total increase year by year from 18 to 33 to 41. A 55-60 point 4th season is not out of the question in 2013-2014. Cairns went undrafted in 2013 but is a solid OHL veteran who will provide the Bulls with some 2nd/3rd line scoring and overall depth.
Michael Curtis has never been a prolific goal scorer or point producer, and saw his minutes and point production go down last season on a deep an talented Belleville roster. Curtis should see an increase in minutes with a young and improving Erie roster. If he ends up playing along side Connor McDavid and Connor Brown on the teams top line he does have the skill to put the puck in the net an make plays, so look for his point production to possibly triple from the 20 points he produced in 2012-2013. Even if the Otter decide to use him in a 2nd line role along side 1st round pick Dylan Strome his Point Totals should at least double.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:15 pm

Rights to Jake Marchment to Belleville from North Bay for a 6th Round Pick in 2014.

Blake Richard (G), Jake Gilmour & a Conditional Pick 12th Round Pick in 2015 to Niagara from Kingston for a 2015 12 Round Pick.

Marchment, he spent the 2012-2013 season with the Wellington Dukes in the Tier 2 Jr. A Loop. I never saw him play so I can't comment to much. He's a 6'3, 200 pound Center who put up 7 goals and 13 assists for 20 points in 49 games, which tied him for 7th on the team in scoring. He also racked up 50 penalty minutes. He'll likely be used on the wing in Belleville if he's to get decent minutes. Otherwise he'll likely be their 4th line center or a guy in an out of the lineup. At 6'3, 200 pounds there is obvious potential, it will be interesting to see how effective he is in the OHL.
*He is listed on the Belleville Bulls roster for 2013-2014 & not the Wellington Dukes roster

Blake Richard, Richard as you may remember was an emergency call up for the Kingston Frontenacs during the 2010-2011 1st round playoff series vs the Generals. He saw some action and didn't fair to well. He's since been unable to crack an OHL roster and has spent his past season in the GOJHL playing for the Thorold Blackhawks and then was traded to the Stoney Creek Warriors for the playoff run. He's Currently listed on the Ancaster Avalanche's roster for the upcoming season, but will battle OA goal Chris Festarini, former Generals Prospect Bo Bessette and 2012-2013 backup Brent Moran for ice time in Niagara this upcoming season.

Jake Gilmour, Gilmour spent the 2012-2013 season with the Brampton Bombers of the GOJHL, as a true rookie (born in 1996) he played in 43 games and put up just 8 assists to go along with 14 penalty minutes. In his Minor Midget season he only put up 11 assists in 32 games, so clearly he's never been a real big goal scorer. Niagara has numerous roster spots up front open for competition this up coming season, and Gilmour standing 6'3 and weighing 200 pounds definitely does have a legitimate shot at cracking the roster. Although he is currently listen on the Brampton Bomber's 2013-2014, that could change after Icedogs training camp.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:49 pm

It would be nice to see Twohey get in on some of this pre-season trade action a la George Burnett. I realize we don't have a surplus of overagers like Bellevegas but we have some last year players that could/should be moved. Granted, they won't get much but I hope Twohey is at least actively pursuing making some improvements. I am sure he is, but not much happening. I guess the big element is the uncertainty of of some 'big stars' possibly returning.

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:32 pm

Twohey may be force to make a trade but not right now as Claude Giroux is out for 5-6 weeks which could open a spot for Laughton.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:17 pm

In my opinion Twohey is an awful General Manager. He was in Peterborough and he still is now in Oshawa. What did he do last year.. the Generals could have won the East with a couple bold moves. I mean I wouldn't have traded Dal Colle or Josh Brown, but maybe moving a couple 2nd round picks or a guy like Cassels who's done nothing but underachieve. I mean we saw what Graovac was had for and same with Quine, both guys would have helped in Oshawa. An if he didn't feel his club was good enough to win the OHL... why not sell of your assets... Guys like Jenner, Lessio, Biggs, Petgrave, Schemitsch, Laughton.. all would have brought in big returns.. guys like Laughton, Lessio and especially Jenner would have brought in a Kings Ransom.
I'm very unhappy with the direction Twohey has been taking this team. I'm just glad the Generals scouting staff is awesome and makes it near impossible for Twohey to screw up their 1st and 2nd round picks.

I understand the OHL is a revolving door as far as when your teams bad an when its competitive, but with that being said I'm a paying customer, I'm a big Generals supporter, and I'd at least like to see the effort of making the team better. DiPerio may not have been an outstanding Coach but he made some good moves as GM of the club.. an if he got fired for his effort as a GM, Twohey should be gone by the 10 game mark this season

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:57 pm

Twohey's a 'nice guy' but was, with the exception a couple of big trades at the deadline, in Petes Land, not much of a 'mover and shaker'. A little too conservative for my liking!

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Brendan O'Neill(G) to North Bay Battalion from Sudbury for a conditional 15th Round Pick in 2015.

Looks like the North Bay Battalion have added a veteran goalie to back up young goaltender Jake Smith, who served as Matej Machovsky's back up last season. The Battalion's two Import Picks in the 2013 draft have committed to the team, and with Machovsky being an OA this season, there is little to know chance he returns.

O'Neill, O'Neill has only ever appeared in 10 OHL games and during those games he had a G.AA of above 5.50. Although he was rather young at the time. He has certainly improved while playing the 2012-2013 season on 3 different Tier two Jr. A teams (Kingtson & Trenton in the OPJHL and Carleton Place of the CCHL). Although its unlikely O'Neill makes a big impact with the Battalion in 2013-2014 it cost them basically nothing to acquire him, so I see it as a good move.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:27 pm

Macker88 wrote:Brendan O'Neill(G) to North Bay Battalion from Sudbury for a conditional 15th Round Pick in 2015.

Looks like the North Bay Battalion have added a veteran goalie to back up young goaltender Jake Smith, who served as Matej Machovsky's back up last season. The Battalion's two Import Picks in the 2013 draft have committed to the team, and with Machovsky being an OA this season, there is little to know chance he returns.

O'Neill, O'Neill has only ever appeared in 10 OHL games and during those games he had a G.AA of above 5.50. Although he was rather young at the time. He has certainly improved while playing the 2012-2013 season on 3 different Tier two Jr. A teams (Kingtson & Trenton in the OPJHL and Carleton Place of the CCHL). Although its unlikely O'Neill makes a big impact with the Battalion in 2013-2014 it cost them basically nothing to acquire him, so I see it as a good move.

What your saying make a trade to just make a trade, because other GM's are making trades: Rolling Eyes 
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Actually I didn't say that at all. All I wrote in my last post was the trade details between North Bay & Sudbury and give my analysis on the trade. I do this because the OHL website rarely reports trades.

And the Generals do need to make a trade... not just because other GM's are making trades, but because they need to improve their roster. Belleville has improved their roster, Kingston has improved their roster and those two teams are the Generals top competition in the division this season. So yes although I didn't say anything of the sort prior to this post.. they do need to make trades because other GM's are making trades.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:10 pm

Macker88 wrote:Actually I didn't say that at all. All I wrote in my last post was the trade details between North Bay & Sudbury and give my analysis on the trade. I do this because the OHL website rarely reports trades.

And the Generals do need to make a trade... not just because other GM's are making trades, but because they need to improve their roster. Belleville has improved their roster, Kingston has improved their roster and those two teams are the Generals top competition in the division this season. So yes although I didn't say anything of the sort prior to this post.. they do need to make trades because other GM's are making trades.

Why do the Gen's need to make a trade?in order to get something your going to give up something, so what is the point other teams will want Del Colle, Brown, are top players your not going to get any body worth while for a 8 round draft pick or a 3rd or 4 line player so what's the point, I can see Gen's making a trade closer to the trading deadline, This is a rebuilding year don't expect much more.
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:56 pm

To Windsor Spitfires Steven Janes from Owen Sound Attack in exchange for a 3rd Round Draft Pick in 2017 and an 8th Round Draft Pick in 2015.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:47 pm

To Kingston Corey Pawley from London for a 4th Round Pick in 2015.

Pawley suited up for 27 games for the Ontario Hockey League Champs in 2012-2013. Putting up 3 goals and 4 assists for 7 points in those game. 2013-2014 will be Pawley's 3rd in the OHL. Pawley is an energy player who will add some depth to the Frontenacs forward core an will likely play 3rd line minutes and see some time on the PK

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:13 pm

Hey Macker88 the Gen's miss out on another trade Sad 

Saginaw trades rights to D Rylee McKinnon to Peterborough for cond. 15th rd pick in 2015. Played for Cobourg.Laughing
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:21 pm

Again, yes I believe the Generals should make a trade if possible, but like I've said before I don't post the trades on here for that purpose. I post them so other fans can see what's going on with other teams because the OHL website often fails to mention trades. If you go to their website you'll notice the majority of the trades I've posted are not on their transactions page.
But if you feel the need to be an idiot an question my every post, ill stop trying to be informative for all the other readers of this message board. It's know wonder barely any people comment on this board anymore. They probably just don't want the hassle of defending their every posts to idiots like yourself.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next