Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gens sign McDowell

5 posters

Go down

Gens sign McDowell Empty Gens sign McDowell

Post by Generalizations Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:45 am

By Roger Lajoie

The Oshawa Generals have landed a defenceman that obviously believes the Ontario Hockey League is a perfect fit for him.

General Manager/Coach Chris DePiero announced on Wednesday that the club had come to terms with Jimmy McDowell, who played last season for the Detroit Little Caesars Under-16 team.

McDowell was the Generals 12th round draft pick in May’s OHL Priority Selection after turning in a strong season with the Little Caesars team. The promising young defenceman had a scholarship opportunity to go to Michigan State , so teams were leery about taking him with a high draft pick despite his strong potential.

But McDowell has decided to join the Generals and forgo Michigan State , as he’ll report to the Generals training camp next month.

“We’re absolutely delighted that Jimmy is joining our hockey club,” DePiero said. “He’s a promising young player with a lot of upside and we’re pleased he has decided to play in the OHL.

“This is a great coup for our organization. Jimmy’s family lives just 15 minutes from Michigan State , which has an excellent program, but he has opted to join us to pursue his hockey career. That speaks volumes about his commitment to making himself a better player, and says a lot about what the Generals and the OHL can offer a young player as well.”

McDowell is 6-feet, 165 pounds and a 1993 birthdate. DePiero says he will be given every chance to develop his game with the Generals as he learns to adjust to life in the OHL.

“We’ll make sure this is the best decision for Jimmy and his family and we’ll welcome him with open arms at training camp,” DePiero says.

The Generals are at work getting more players under contract for next season as they get set for the 2009-10 OHL season. The club has already come to terms with Boone Jenner, their first round pick, and Colin Sullentrop, their third round selection.

Generalizations

Number of posts : 435
Seat Section : Section 120
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Gens sign McDowell Empty Re: Gens sign McDowell

Post by Generalizations Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:45 am

I hope this works out for the team and McDowell. We need revitalization on defence.

Generalizations

Number of posts : 435
Seat Section : Section 120
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:03 pm

Dips is making some good off season moves

Chris how about some top forwards

Still not sure about picking BIGGS in 2nd rd

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:55 pm

I think Biggs isn't coming now because teams can't have 3 16 yr olds on one team and the Gen's now we have 3 Boone Jenner, Colin Suelllentop and we just sign Jimmy McDowell.Does anyone know if this is the rule?
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:08 pm

I thought it was four, but I'm not sure! McDowell looked fairly good I thought at the Orientation Camp. Another DeHaan type would be my guess! As the article stated, he probably would have been drafted higher if they were more certain about his status. I thought he looked better than earlier picks. Not too big though! He might be a good grab. I read elsewhere, Biggs was selected for the U.S. under 16 team at a recent tryout camp. Maybe he'll show next year?

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Chamoo Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:52 pm

I thought it was 4 as well.

Chamoo

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down