Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Congratulations D.J Smith

+2
Gens Camper
steamed
6 posters

Go down

Congratulations D.J Smith Empty Congratulations D.J Smith

Post by steamed Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:17 pm

I'm glad they signed D.J. for a 3yr extension Good move by the organization Very Happy

The Oshawa Generals are pleased to announce that Head Coach DJ Smith and the hockey club have agreed to a three year contract extension.

“The Oshawa Generals ownership is extremely pleased to lock up DJ for another 3 years, commented Oshawa Generals President and Governor Rocco Tullio. “DJ has done an outstanding job of developing our players and teaching them to play the game the right way. His hockey knowledge and tremendous work ethic, coupled with his ability to communicate with our players were the reasons we wanted to extend his contract.”

So far in his first season as Head Coach of the Oshawa Generals, Smith has led the team to a record of 42-22-1-3 and a first round playoff victory over the Niagara IceDogs. The team also recorded a franchise record low 192 goals against.

“Getting DJ signed was an organizational priority,” said Oshawa Generals General Manager Jeff Twohey. “He is one of the bright up and coming young coaches in the Ontario Hockey League. We have developed a close working relationship and friendship over the past year and I look forward to continuing to work with DJ over the next three years. He is a vital part of our organization moving forward.”

Smith joined the Generals in the summer of 2012. Previously, he spent six seasons beginning in 2005 as Assistant and then Associate Coach to the Windsor Spitfires and was part of the team’s back-to-back Memorial Cup titles in 2009 and 2010.

A native of Windsor, Ontario, Smith played for the Spitfires for three seasons beginning in 1994 and was drafted by the New York Islanders, 41st overall, in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft.

Smith played professionally in the National Hockey League and American Hockey League, spending time with the Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL) and St. John’s Maple Leafs (AHL) before moving to the Hershey Bears (AHL) and Colorado Avalanche (NHL). He retired in 2004.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Congratulations D.J Smith Empty Re: Congratulations D.J Smith

Post by Gens Camper Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:02 pm

Congrats for sure - I am impressed

Let us see if he can turn this group around on Sunday and Tuesday

Then we will be impressed -

After last night - not so sure - Good Luck

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:44 am

DJ has done an outstanding job of developing our players and teaching them to play the game the right way. His hockey knowledge and tremendous work ethic, coupled with his ability to communicate with our players were the reasons we wanted to extend his contract

REALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4

Number of posts : 230
Seat Section : 105
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by nerfherder Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:46 am

Well DJ did well for most of the season. But I do remember him preaching a defensive team first and winning a lot of 1 goal games. Hmmm seems to me that this team was anything but defensive in the playoffs. I liked him hoped he'd be back but wished this organization would learn and take it year by year. I felt he lost this team in the playoffs. Last night I hate to say he reminded me of Dips. Not having enough players on the ice. Calling a timeout with 1 min left and blasting his players. A little late DJ. Again great regular season but I thought with his playoff experience with Windsor they would have been better prepared. Oh well we can see what he is made of with a fresh team. I don't think we have to worry about playoff experience next year. Maybe by 2017 we will be rebuilt only to lose and rebuild again. Very Happy

nerfherder

Number of posts : 144
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:13 pm

I do like what we have in Jeff Twohey, DJ Smith and his coaching staff.but the was 2 teams out there the 1st one in the regular season was peasent to watch, and the 2nd that was in the playoffs that reminded me of last years team.clean house as it's a rebuild year next season.
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:27 pm

Hopefully we can get a new goalie coach and a power play coach

In the Barrie series the breakaways must have hit double didgits and I cannot think of 1 time that Altshuller came out to challenge the shooter

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:30 pm

altshuller performed very well in my view , he was left alone as you mentioned on so many occasions , in the Barrie series , overall happy with dj smith , but not in the playoffs , whereas teams usually turn it up a notch in the postseason , the gens took a few steps back , in work ethic , smarts and discipline , speaks to coaching which , i'm sure SMITH is not happy with his performance .

we have to keep in mind he was also a rookie coach , hope he learned from his first playoff experience , and he REALLY needs to come up better special teams , especially PP which was nothing short of BRUTAL in the two series !

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:42 am

I think 'brutal' is being too kind, mygens.

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:07 am

Yeah I didn't like the way we finshed this season,but I do think this years team still wasn't JD Smith & Jeff Twohey team,as it still was the old regime(sp) team with the same mentality(me, myself, I) like the saying goes you can't teach old dogs new tricks.
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:34 pm

No, but you can shoot them! (just kidding!!)

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down