Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 Gen's Draft

+2
StingRay5
steamed
6 posters

Go down

2014 Gen's Draft Empty 2014 Gen's Draft

Post by steamed Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:34 pm

As the 2014 OHL Draft is coming up April 5th the Generals have slim pickings due to lack of draft picks here is the list

Generals' Draft Picks
2014: 1st, OTT 4th, 5th, BAR 5th, 7th, 8th, OTT 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 15th
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

2014 Gen's Draft Empty Re: 2014 Gen's Draft

Post by StingRay5 Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:49 pm

Not much good here other than the Ott 4th is close to a 3rd rounder.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Number of posts : 265
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:00 pm

While the Generals definitely do have slim pickings currently it would shock me to see the 5th & 8th packaged for a 3rd or something of that sort to re-acquire a top 60 pick.

Also, while the Generals lack quality picks in this draft they still do set up pretty well going into next year. Daniel Robertson & Stephen Templeton will both be joing the Gens blue line. If a guy like Kelly Summers decides to jump to the OHL that would be a huge boost. Stephen Desrocher has looked fairly good at times this year an should only improve. Don't count out big 6'5 205lbs Tyler Cooper who played this season with the Mississauga Chargers. American Rhodes Dolan is also an option as it looks as though he hasn't committed to an NCAA program yet. In net we can all expect Ken Appleby to be the starter with Jeremy Brodeur in all likelyhood backing up. If not Brodeur, Mabley may be the option. Getting Chase Pearson to commit up front would be huge for the Gens. Another player who would be nice to see jump on his NCAA commitment would be Patrick Grasso, who's committed to the University of New Hampshire. 2011 Pick Michael Turner would be nice to have as well. An Brett Seney tore up the tier 2 Jr league this year with Kingston he could surprise in camp if he's been kept on the Gens Protected list.

With that all being said, look for the Generals to go forward in the 1st round this year as their D core sets up pretty well for the 2014-2015 season

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:10 am

Draft starts this Saturday at 9am.

Had a nice little chat with Jeff Twohey before the start of game 4 in Missy and asked him how the draft prep was going. Obvisouly he didn't answer but was amused with my question. He told me somebody tried to buy him a beer during game 3.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:13 am

Did the Gennies not sign Chase Pearson last year?

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:39 pm

Follow-up....was looking at The Scout and Sean LaFortune has Pearson listed as the #1 'Uncommitted'. Does that mean he is eligible to be drafted again this year? Or he has not committed to NCAA? He has Taylor Raddysh as the Gens #1 selection...others have Sam Dunn. We shall see on Sat...

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:13 pm

Jaycro, as far as Chase Pearson goes, he has simply not committed to play for the Oshawa Generals next year, nor has he committed to an NCAA program. Pearson would be a great addition to the Generals next season, hopefully he chooses Oshawa.

I also have Taylor Raddysh as my pick for the Generals in my mock draft, Raddysh would be a great fit for the Generals system. He is a complete 200 foot player, which will make his transition to the OHL rather seamless. He's one of the more consistent players I watched throughout the Minor Midget AAA season, he rarely has a bad shit or game. He's not a flashy player, but he's the type of kid you look at the box score after the game an he's all over it. Very good an accurate shot, had 52 points in 38 regular season games with the OHL Cup Champion Toronto Marlboros. Stands 6'0 and weighs 190. I'd be over the moon if he slipped to the Gens. An there is a decent chance he's available when the Generals pick.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:34 pm

Macker88... you meant "shift" did you not?

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:43 pm

jaycro wrote:Macker88... you meant "shift" did you not?

hey good bowell movements are important too. .... apparantly

cheers 
StingRay5
StingRay5

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:56 pm

Consonants are equally important.

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:54 pm

Yeah, my bad. Either way Raddysh is the player I hope the Generals snag at #16.

A couple other guys that would fit with the Generals at #16 in my opinion are,

Cliff Pu - Pu is a center who also played wing quite a fit this season for the Toronto Marlboros. He is a phenomenal skater, a top end playmaker among the players in the '98 age group. He tends to look pass, rather then shot. He lacks a physical side to his game, and sometimes look disinterested. Those two faults while correctable may lead to him slipping to the Generals at #16. However if I'm a betting man he's gone between 10-14.

Anthony Salinitri - Salinitri was the Alliance player of the year this season, an is largely under rated in comparison to other top offensive players in this draft, largely in part to playing on a weaker team. Salinitri has top end speed and is very elusive. He's hard to contain in the offensive zone, he has a high hockey IQ. His size may turn some teams off him as he's listed at just 5'9 153. Salinitri played for the Windsor Jr. Spitfires.

Michael Pezzetta - Pezzetta is one of my favorite players in this draft. Pezzetta is a big kid at 6 foot 200 pounds as just a 16 year old as of March 13th. For a kid his size he gets around the ice really well, he's a physical presence and never stops competing. I noticed he won pretty much every puck battle. In my opinion his fore check and physical play are his best attributes while he can produce offensively he had 25 points in 29 regular season games with the Mississauga Senators this past season. Pezzetta may slip a bit because of his underwhelming offensive numbers in comparison to other elite forwards. This is a kid who will likely have modest numbers in year one in the OHL, but come year 2 and 3 he'll be a team leader.

Jonah Gadovich - Gadovich is a kid who really impressed me more and more the more times I saw him play. He's a local Whitby Wildcats product who put up 15 goals & 15 assists for 30 points in 23 regular season games. He's a kid who doesn't mind going to those dirty areas on the ice to score goals, likes to play a physical game. He has a good touch around the net, he is a real simple player who I see being a pretty solid power forward at the OHL Level. He should likely be available for the Generals, But he's more an early second round pick. I have him behind the aforementioned players in my rankings.

Matthew Hotchkiss - This kid is another Whitby Wildcat although played most of his minor hockey in Clarington. Hotchkiss is a complete wildcard. What I mean is he has top tier ability he's big, skates well, has a tremendous shot, is fairly good defensively and with his overall positioning. But he lacks consistency, I saw games where he absolutely dominated, and I saw games where he was invisible and at times even a detriment to his team. But his ceiling is so high he should be a top 15 pick. But it would not surprise me at all to seem him slide.

Defenseman Victor Mete may choose the College route but I don't have inside information on him. If he's available and will report and slips to Oshawa I would take him in a heartbeat. Sam Dunn Projects to be a very good defenseman in the OHL in the future. But with the Generals current core spending a 1st round pick on a D-Man doesn't make sense to me in this draft.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:34 am

Cross these guys off as potential 1st round picks. Americans Max Jones, Nick Pastujov & Griffin Luce all committed to the US National Developmental Program today. Joey Anderson, Trent Frederic, Patrick Khodorenko also committed as well as Chad Krys who is QMJHL eligible & Luke Martin.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:46 am

No word on Logan Brown, I'm assuming that means he's chose the OHL route. He will be a top 10 pick on Saturday. Brown is the son of former NHLer Jeff Brown who played four years with the Sudbury Wolves between 1982-1985/86. Logan Brown is a 6'4 209lbs Center who played this season with the Indiana Ice U-16 AAA team, scoring 19 goals & 12 assists in just 19 games.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:51 am

And now @ Gens mock pick by Sean Lafortune has the Generals selecting
Christopher Paquette   C Kingston Jr. Frontenac’s
Ht: 6.00 Wt: 174 03/27/1998
Gp 36 G 23 A 29 PTS 52 PIM 14
Scouting Report: Christopher is the biggest part of his team
and if he is off his game they don’t have much of a chance to compete.
He is very hard to handle when he has the puck. He has good
size, puck skills and hockey sense which allow him to create offense
for himself and his teammates. His compete level is always very
high and he rarely loses a battle for the puck in all three zones.
Christopher makes the players around him better by moving the
Puck at the right times.

By the time the Gen's pick it might be someone completly different than suggested.Too many picks ahead of us to pin point I guess we'll find out around 10-10:30 Saturday, then sit and wait for our next pick Laughing
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:00 pm

Well you can cross off my list the Gen's 1st pick Jakob Chychrun Sarnia Sting pick him Damm  Laughing
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:15 pm

Steamed, if you missed my insert in the thread 'draft fun' where I misplaced it, you will be really 'steamed'!

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:23 am

Macker88 wrote:
Cliff Pu - Pu is a center who also played wing quite a fit this season for the Toronto Marlboros. He is a phenomenal skater, a top end playmaker among the players in the '98 age group. He tends to look pass, rather then shot. He lacks a physical side to his game, and sometimes look disinterested. Those two faults while correctable may lead to him slipping to the Generals at #16. However if I'm a betting man he's gone between 10-14.

Gens first pick this morning.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:22 pm

I forgot it wAs draft day to focused on playoffs. Still so strange to me to have draft day between playoff games.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:41 pm

Generals have snagged Cliff Pu from the Toronto Marlboros Minor Midget AAA with their 1st round pick. Pu had 47 points in 33 games on 23 goals & 24 assists.

The Generals then took D-Man Riley Stillman from the Peterborough Jr. Petes in the 4th round. Stillman is 5'10 181lbs and the son of former NHLer Cory Stillman. His grandfather is also Bud Stefanski the former Coach & GM of the Barrie Colts and Toronto St. Michael's Majors. In 36 games he had 7 goals and 23 assists for 30 points to go along with 42 penalty minutes.

In the 5th round with the 93rd like the Generals took Centre Luke Keenan from the Clarington Toros. Keenan had 41 points in 35 games on 12 goals & 28 assists. Keenan stand 5'11 & weighs 176.

Also in the 5th round with the 96th pick the Generals took Domenic Commisso of the Don Mills Flyers. Commisso stands 5'9 and weighs 172. He scored 17 goals and added 16 assists for 33 points in 31 games. He also added 24 penalty minutes.

After 100 picks there is a slight break in the draft, I'll update again once the Generals have picked a few more guys

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:55 pm

Well the Gen's 7 forwards, 4 defenseman & 3 goalies.
Goalie Joseph Woll is a flyer as he already chosen NCAA and said he isn't going to the OHL
but if he does  it's a steal, and keep your eye on Dawson Shacklton we drafted in the 8rd on the small size but tuff as nails.
also do not know anything about Joseph Cerroni other than he is a D from the US, not listed in the guide, maybe another flyer.
what are your thoughts on this years draft?
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:45 pm

Not good with out a 2nd and a 3rd. There were several teams with multiple 2nds and 3rds but Twohey could not make a deal and fuddle duddled around with the last three rounds. Very disappointing! We need several players drafted last year and/or some flyers ( listed by macker88 above) to show or we'll be bottom four.

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:10 pm

To be honest with you I think the Generals did fairly well in their draft for not having a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Although having those picks I believe they would have rocked the draft. But hey we bitch about not making trades at the deadline, we bitch when we don't have picks, its one or the other. All in all a good draft for the Generals for the picks we had. I did think taking 3 goalies was pointless, as Appleby is here for 2 years and we have Brodeur coming in. There where some good skaters available when Woll & Jackson where taken.

Zachary Senecal the Generals 7th round pick, I think is very good value, 70 points in 77 games for the Soo Thunder Minor Midgets. He's basically 6'0 175, he's listed at 5'11.75. Had 58 points in 38 games as a Bantam. Only saw him play once at the OHL Cup but he was impressive. I though't he'd go a little higher. He lacks some in the physical side of things but, adding weight as he matures will likely happen. I don't see him being a regular next season, but wouldn't surprise me if the Gens wanted to have him play for one of their affiliates closer to Oshawa.

Joseph Cencconi, played mainly with the Buffalo Jr. Sabres this season, scoring 19 points in 34 games. He also played 26 games with the Muskegon Lumberjacks of the USHL scoring 6 points in 26 games. He's 6'1, 198lbs, so he's a fairly big guy for 17 (yeah born in 97). He's not going the NCAA route he could factor into the Gens play next season.

Dawson Shackelton, I was shocked when he was still around in Round 8. Now the kid may be a little undersized at 5'11, but he plays a real rugged type of game. He'll likely take a year of tier 2 before making the jump, but this kid will contribute at the OHL level. Likely in a bottom pairing, none the less he'll be effective in that role. Had 18 points in 37 games and 99 penalty minutes.

Liam Devine is a big 6'3, 216lbs goalie out of the Guelph Jr. Gryphons system. He had an amazing 1.75GAA and 5 shutouts in 22 games. He went 10-7-5 in the regular season, was 2-0-1 in the playoff round robin series and he had a 1.67 G.AA in 3 OHL Cup games. He has potential, size and all the things going for him, he's definitely worthy of the selection. He'll likely be suiting up in the GOJHL next season.

Joseph Woll, 6'1 180lbs American Born goalie. Committed to Harvard University in 2016-17. In 18 games this season with the St. Louis Blues U-16 Program he had a 1.71 GAA & a 933 Save %. He's another kid who's worth the flyer, although with taking Devine just one pick earlier I would of went with a skater as lots of players held higher value to the Generals at this point in the draft. None the less nothing against Woll he's a great goaltender.

Jason Pineo, from the Toronto Red Wings, he's a 5'11 167lbs Center. He had 21 points in 33 games this past season. He's not a player that stood out on my viewings, but he wasn't a player I noticed for mistakes either.

Eric Jackson, 5'11 165lbs from the Mississauga Reps of the GTHL. Had a 2.22GAA in 18 regular season games with the Reps. A good goalie on a bad team, I like this kid, but again why another goalie with, there is one net and we have prospect goalies already in the pipe line, a goalie in Appleby ready to be a starter, and a slim outside shot Altshuller returns as an OA.

Brett Murray, a big 6'3 190lbs Winger from the Brampton 45's. Had 27 points in 40 games. I never saw him play so I can't comment, but from what I hear, hes a bit of a project, but has some good size, and work ethic. Goes to the dirty areas and can finish in close. Look for this kid to play in the OPJAHL next year.

David D'Agostino, 5'8, 181lbs from the Niagara North Stars. 10 points in 36 games to go along with 42 penalty minutes. A kid I saw play once but didn't notice to much. Small but plays bigger, a long shot to make the O but you can see why a team would take a flyer on him in a later round.

Brock Welsh, 5'11 154 from the Barrie Jr. Colts. 24 points in 28 games, needs to add strength, but can score and put up points. Likely another player that won't see OHL action, but worth the flyer at that point in the draft.

2014-2015 Projected Lineup as of today,
Dal Colle - Cassels - Latour
Smith - Harding - Sterk
Wallace - Pu - Manchurek
Busch - McDade - Dundas
Likely to be in the running for roster spots,
Luke Keenan, Zachary Senecal, Chase Pearson, Ian Johnston, Cory Caruso. (Of course Caruso is NCAA Committed and Pearson is uncommitted but they'll be talked to an recruited to come to the O)

Petschenig - Vande Sompel
Brown - Desrocher
Carlisle - Templeton
Stillman - Robertson
*Also Kelly Summers could spur his NCAA commitment and would be a huge addition, Shackleton has an outside shot, and Rhodes Dolan is an intriguing kid.

Appleby
Brodeur
*Outside shot Altshuller returns, although very unlikely. If he does it makes him or Appleby a big trade piece.
Devine, Mabley & Jackson will all contend. Woll will be the backup if he decides to forgo his commitment.

The roster looks pretty good for 2014-2015, I think we could use a Veteran on the back end, but other then that I would be content going into the next regular season. Keep in mind we also have two import selections available.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

2014 Gen's Draft Empty Draft

Post by Gens Camper Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:46 am

I think we weathered the storm with this draft - We had some GREAT # 1 DRAFT PICKS < Jenner - Laughton < Cassels - Dal Colle in the past - Hoping we see another in this draft

Look around and not 2 many teams can boast 4 top forward picks like that - sure sets your team up for a year like this year

Welcome all drafted future GENS you have been drafted into 1 of the best orginizations around

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down