Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OHL Off-Season News

+3
mygens
StingRay5
Macker88
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

OHL Off-Season News Empty OHL Off-Season News

Post by Macker88 Tue May 20, 2014 10:13 pm

Yes I know it's the Oshawa Generals Forum, but I figure why not keep up to date with the going on's of the league as a whole as well.

First off I'd like to talk about the Ottawa 67's coaching vacancy. Numerous names have been thrown in to the mix, an for the most part all the names I've heard have a validity to them. I've checked with my sources and made some inquires myself and these are the names that consistently pop up.

Todd Gill, Dave Cameron, Jacques Beaulieu, Trent Cull, Vince Mallette, Jake Grimes, Guy Boucher, Jeff Brown, & Brian Kilrea.

Todd Gill to me got an unfair shake with the Frontenacs. He was the scapegoat for an unfortunate early playoff exit. Where the Fronts talented, yes, but they where also relatively young and lacked top notch goaltending. They also ran into a really hot Peterborough team. Gill's had success at the OHL & Tier 2 Jr Hockey level with the Brockville Braves. He'll be back in this league sooner rather then later. I think Gill is the #2 option for the 67's at this point.

Guy Boucher, Boucher was extremely successful in the QMJHL, he waited around for another NHL job to come around and it never did, nor did an AHL head coaching job, so he signed on to coach a Swiss Elite League team. I believe he would be a good fit for the 67's but my gut tells me he doesn't wanna return to Jr hockey at this point and time.

Dave Cameron, if he was unemployed and wanted to return to the OHL, hands down the best and most qualified coach of the bunch. But he's seemingly happy for now as an assistant with the Ottawa Senators. Rumours swirled of him taking over for Paul McLean, but when McLean was retained that rumour died quick. However the writing is on the walls, Cameron will be the favourite to take over for McLean if he's let go.

Jeff Brown, Brown is currently the head coach with the Indiana Ice of the USHL, an that team is currently in the USHL finals against the Waterloo Blackhawks. Brown is an Ottawa area native, who played Jr hockey for the Sudbury Wolves. He's been rumoured with every OHL head coach vacancy but Ottawa makes the most sense. My gut feeling is the delay in the 67's making a coaching choice is due to them Waiting on Brown's season to end.

Brian Kilrea, I find this far fetched, but Killer still has interest in coaching and rumour is he's been discussed. I highly doubt this happens. But how can you argue with his track record. If he wants to be back an can physically do it, hey who knows.

Vince Mallette was a long time assistant of Kilrea's I don't know much about Mallette but word is Kilrea has also been in the ear of Chris Bryne and ownership about Mallette and at least interviewing him for the position. He knows the 67's culture, he's been a part
Of winners in the city, he makes sense.

Jake Grimes, another assistant, I believe deserving off the opportunity to be a head coach. Another guy I couldn't find much about, but i hear nothing but good things about him. From what I heard its only a Matter
Of time before he's a head coach.

Trent Cull did a great job with the Sudbury Wolves but was let go based mainly around an issue with the owner. Word has it Cull did not wanna Connor Burgess the owners son on the roster and that didn't fly with the owner and as soon as the season was over he was relieved of his duties. Cull is a great coach an has had success at various levels, he's a dark horse but I think he would be a great coach for the 67's.

Jaques Beaulieu, has had success at the Jr level,
Was unfairly let go by the Sarnia Sting, has qualities to be a good OHL coach, but right now is pretty far down the .. "Depth Chart" in regards to potential coaches for the 67's.

*If any of you are interested you can follow me on twitter @Macker61 I usually have up to date rumours and other OHL, OJAHL and CHL information going around

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

OHL Off-Season News Empty Re: OHL Off-Season News

Post by StingRay5 Wed May 21, 2014 10:27 am

Any word yet of posible asst coach possibilities for the Gens?
StingRay5
StingRay5

Number of posts : 265
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:03 pm

Just a note on some OHL guys who went un-signed by NHL teams who drafted them.

Gianluca Curcurruto - Plymouth. Was not signed by the Bluejackets an now should return as an OA

Joseph Blandisi - Barrie. Was not signed by Colorado, small chance he is drafted on re-entry, should be back as an OA. OA situation in Barrie gets pretty interesting now
Michael Clarke - Peterborough. Was also not signed by Colorado. Will be back as an OA. Clarke returning really strengthens Peterborough's top 6 for 2014-15.

Gemel Smith from London signed last minute with Dallas, thus meaning he's all but assured to be turning pro next year at the AHL level.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:55 pm

North Bay Battalion assistant coach John Goodwin has left the team to join the Kingston Frontenacs as an assistant coach under Paul McFarlane.

Solid move for the Frontencas, Paul will be a great coach in the OHL but I felt it was important to bring in an assistant with some experience and that's exactly what they did in adding Goodwin. Personally I actually thought Goodwin would be considered for the Head Coaching Job in Kingston Originally an lately the Ottawa 67's job.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:07 pm

Big Rumour surrounding the Guelph Storm & Windsor Spitfires. Apparently it had Guelph sending 2013 2nd Round Pick Luke Kirwan to the Windsor Spitfires for some of the 2nd Rounders they have up in the huge Kerby Rychel/Nick Ebert deal.

Like Kirwan is a top prospect for the 2016 NHL draft as he has a late 97 birthday. He is left winger standing 6'1, 231lbs and played for the US National U 17 team this year. He had 57 points in 54 games.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:14 pm

Also hearing Randy Cunneyworth, Jamie Rivers & John Torchetti have been added to the names to keep in mind for the Ottawa 67's job.

Cunneyworth has the most experience as he's been an assistant with numerous NHL teams as well as an intern head coach, also have tons of AHL experience as an assistant and head coach.

Torchetti has experience in the KHL, AHL, NHL & QMJHL. He's the only one of the 3 mentioned with Major Junior experience, but I doubt that matters if your considering guys with Pro Experience.

Rivers retired not to long ago, coached in the Central Hockey League and is originally from Ottawa & played his Junior Hockey with the Sudbury Wolves.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:46 pm

Ottawa 67's GM Chris Bryne will be leaving the team to become a scout with the LA Kings. Now the 67's search for a coach will include a search for a GM.

The Generals situation isn't look nearly as bad as it did a couple weeks ago.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:22 pm

I may be a few days late on this news but,

Former Buffalo, Pittsburgh & St. Louis Defenseman Jay McKee has been named an Assistant Coach with the Erie Otters.

Craig Hartsburg left the team to become the Head coach of the Lincoln Stars of the USHL, making an Assistants Job Available.

McKee has some coaching experience, as he was an assistant with the Rochester Americans last season, and was also a volunteer coach with the Niagara Men's NCAA team in 2010-2011.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:27 pm

Also, the London Knights where able to coax yet another NCAA bound American to join their franchise.

2014, 2nd round pick, 36th overall, defenseman Ben Gleason has committed to the Knights. Ben was drafted out of the Detroit Honeybaked program where he appeared in 22 games scoring 1 goal an adding 5 assists for 6 point and 10 penalty minutes. Ben is a true stay at home defender, who has a high hockey IQ. He's not overly physical, but uses his quickness and positioning as well as his hockey IQ to his advantage while defending. He does lack some strength and is not overly physical.

The London Knights also signed 5th round pick, 82 overall in 2014, Centre Drake Rymsha from the Toronto Jr. Canadiens Program. Rymsha originally from Huntington Woods, Michigan moved to the Toronto area to suite up for the Power House Canadiens in 2013-2014. Rymsha scored 15 goals and 22 assists for 41 points in 33 regular season games, adding another 8 points in 13 playoff games and 5 points in 7 games at the OHL Cup. Rymsha stands 5'10 161.

I was some what shocked to see Rymsha last to the 5th round, but I'm sure there was some talk of him going the NCAA route which scared some teams away.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:23 pm

cash is king baby , and London has lots !

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:24 pm

Branch needs to go !!!!! long overdue

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:18 pm

While I do agree that cash is king and that Branch needs to go, I do believe with London, these days its more about the organization as a whole. I mean as a former player, I'd much rather play in London then almost any other city with an OHL team. They have an NHL like atmosphere at games, great coaching staff, the JLB is as close to an NHL arena as there is & they're consistently winners. Also given its short distance to Michigan its more attractive to American born players, then say a Sudbury, North Bay, Soo Sault Marie or Mississauga.
Branch needs to go, he does show favoritism, his suspensions are way out of line (plus he always changes them anyways) and he just seems out of touch with the real purpose of Major Junior Hockey at this point. But in saying that I feel its time we lay off London an their cash is king statements, as they have many other things going for them to attract player.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:22 pm

Former NHL & Indiana Ice (USHL) Coach Jeff Brown has been hired to coach the Ottawa 67's. Brown led the Indiana Ice to the USHL Championship this past season.
Jeff Brown's son Logan Brown was selected in the first round of the 2014 OHL draft by the Niagara Icedogs, there is now wide speculation Logan's rights will be moved to the 67's. Expect the price tag on Brown's rights two be two 2nd Rounders, a mid round pick as well as a current roster player or prospect.

According to rumours and a few sources, the coaching decision came down to Brown & Todd Gill.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:57 pm

Quick note on Niagara Icedogs prospect (1st Round Pick) Logan Brown. During his dads introductory press conference as Ottawa 67's Head Coach, Jeff Brown was asked if his son would be joining him. Brown said his son is coming to the OHL, but it won't be with the 67's.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:06 pm

The London Knights have signed two more players as well today. They've signed 5th Round Pick, 95th Overall in 2014 (C) Jacob Buch & Free Agent Defenseman Chris Martenet from the Indiana Ice of the USHL.

Buch, was drafted out of the Hamilton Bulldogs Minor Midget AAA program in this past draft. He stands 5'10 & weighs 162. Born on Oct.19.1998. Last season in 34 games Buch totalled 9 Goals, 18 Assists for 27 Points & 76 Penalty Minutes.

Martenet, played his Minor Midget Season with Shattuck St. Mary's, where he appeared in 37 Games, scoring 1 goal & adding 16 assists for 17 points & 34 penalty minutes. He also spent the 2012-13 season at Shattuck St. Mary's where he appeared in 43 Games, scoring 8 goals & 22 assists for 30 points to go along with 20 penalty minutes. Last season with the USHL Champion Indiana Ice, Martenet appeared in 35 Games, adding 5 Assists and 20 Penalty Minutes on the season. Martenet comes into the OHL at 6'6, 188lbs. He's a left shooting D-Man, born Sept.25.1996.

The Knights D-Core has certainly received a boost with the signings of 3 great young defenders Ben Gleason, Tyler Norther, Chris Martenet,

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by core33 Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:53 am

Whats he suppose to say? He has to deny hes coming to Ottawa. Don't you have to wait til January to trade 1st rounders or can u trade them before the season (if they don't sign)? Regardless im sure they'll end up together before they are done in the O.

Macker88 wrote:Quick note on Niagara Icedogs prospect (1st Round Pick) Logan Brown. During his dads introductory press conference as Ottawa 67's Head Coach, Jeff Brown was asked if his son would be joining him. Brown said his son is coming to the OHL, but it won't be with the 67's.

core33

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:29 pm

I believe If a draft pick refuses to report to a given club, there is a trade window in the summer where the player can be moved. Max Domi was drafted by Kingston in his draft year an played for London in game one of their season that same year. So it is possible.

As for Brown, I've heard rumours he'd rather play for Niagara because of the strength of their team going forward in the next couple of seasons. By year 3 of Brown's career Ottawa should be in a good position, that's likely when he'd ask to be moved.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:26 pm

Oshawa Generals Draft Pick, Joseph Cecconi was selected to play for Team USA at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament. Cecconi is committed to the University of Michigan for the 2016-17 season. He is slated to play for the Youngstown Phantoms of the USHL this coming season.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:42 pm

And there goes another one! No 2nd rounder. no 3rd rounder and we have lost our 2nd choice from the 4th round, our 3rd choice from the 5th round and now our 6th selection from the 8th round. What a friggen disaster!

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:34 pm

A few signings to announce,
The London Knights have signed 5 Free Agent '97 born players.

Brandon Crawley (D) - 6'2, 201lbs - Feb.2.1997 S-L
2012-13 Jersey Wildcats - 38-5-25-30-48
2013-14 Selects Hockey Academy - 27-5-6-11-20

Ryan Valentini (C) - 5'11, 170lbs - July.13.1997 S-L
2012-13 Vaughan Kings - 37-11-11-22-30
2013-14 Vaughan Kings - 31-12-24-36-8
2013-14 Playoffs - 7-7-6-13-2
2013-14 Toronton Jr. Canadiens (OPJAHL) 5-0-1-1-0
2013-14 Playoffs (OPJAHL) 3-0-0-0-0

Kelly Klima (RW) - 5'7 148lbs - June.5.1997 S-R
2013-14 Little Caesars U-16 - 26-7-11-18-28

Kevin Klima (C) - 5'7 150lbs - June.5.1997 S-L
2013-14 Little Caesars U-16 - 25-5-13-18-42

Tyler Parsons (G) - 6'0 165lbs - Sept.18.1997 Catches-R
2012-13 Little Caesars U-16 - 12- 3.79GAA - .884 S%
2013-14 Little Caesars U-18 - 16- 2.54GAA - .918 S%

Yes, the Klima twins are sons of the great Czech player Pete Klima.

With the exception of maybe Crawley all will be headed to tier 2 Jr. A or Jr. B affiliates. Good depth signings though, this is what you do when you have minimal draft picks, you scout free agents. Don't hate on London they do it the right way

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:23 pm

The Windsor Spitfires have signed 2014, 4th Round, 72nd Overall Pick Nick Gauvin. I usually don't mention when teams sign their own draft picks, as that's pretty much expected to happen. I mention Gauvin for two reason. One being he was expected to go the NCAA route, the second he is a Durham region player, born on Courtice Ontario.

Gauvin spent last season with the Yale Hockey Academy, where he appeared in 24 games, scoring 2 goals & 6 assists for 8 points, to go along with 36 penalty minutes. He also appeared in two playoff games recording 1 goal & 4 penalty minutes. Gauvin is a 6'2, 176lbs defenseman who is expected to challenge for time in 2014-15, but will likely end up playing the majority of this season with LaSalle of the GOJHL.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:04 pm

2011 First Round, 11th Overall Pick of the Plymouth Whalers Mitchell Dempsey has signed with the Saint John Sea Dogs of the QMJHL.

Dempsey never saw much success in the OHL after coming in highly touted after a minor midget AAA season where he scored 17 goals & 27 assists for 44 points in 29 games. Plymouth moved him to Soo Sault Marie after his rookie season. After some time in the Soo, the Greyhounds released Dempsey and the Kitchener Rangers took a risk on him. Again Dempsey has little success an ended up in the Jr. B GOJHL with the Kitchener Dutchmen. He appeared in 15 games with the Dutchmen, recording 5 assists and 30 penalty minutes. In his 78 Game OHL career Dempsey had 2 goals & 9 assists for 11 points. Surprisingly despite his lack of success the Boston Bruins selected Dempsey in the 7th Round 210th Overall in 2011.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:04 pm

The Soo Sault Marie Greyhounds have signed 2011, 6th Round, 113th Overall Pick Gabe Guetler.

Guetler is a 5'9, 185 pound centre, out of Plantation Florida. Born May 3rd 1995. In his draft year he suited up for Team Illinois U-16 where he appeared in 35 games, scoring 25 goals & 34 assists for 59 points. Guetler's intentions at the time where to go the NCAA route, so the Fargo Force of the USHL selected Guetler in the 1st Round of their 2011 Draft, 2nd overall. In his first season of junior eligibility Guetler suited up for the Fargo Force, appearing in 57 games, scoring 9 goals & 19 assists for 28 points. In the summer of 2012-2013 Guetler suited up for Team USA at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament, appearing in 4 games, scoring 3 goals & 3 assists for 6 points. His 2nd season of junior eligibility was again spent with the Fargo Force, where he appeared in 60 games scoring 31 goals & 20 assists for 51 points.
In 2013-2014 Guetler made his debut with the Minnesota Golden Gophers, although he appeared in just 24 games (which was about half the Golden Gophers games) he put up 2 goals & 3 assists for 5 points.

After a team suspension from the University of Minnesota, Guetler and the Golden Gophers parted ways and Guetler decided to give the OHL a shot.

Guetler is a gritty, in your face player, who liked to get under the other teams skin. He runs around a bit, but he as some serious offensive talent. He can play any where in the Soo's top 9.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:11 pm

The first 2014 1st around Draft Pick to Officially state they will not report to the team that drafted them is, Tye Felhaber.

Felhaber was drafted 10th overall by the Saginaw Spirit out of the Ottawa Valley Titans Minor Midget AAA team, where he appeared in 30 games, scoring 38 goals & 34 assists for 72 points. He also added 6 goals & 2 assists for 8 points in 4 games at the OHL Cup. He was a call up with his hometown Pembroke Lumber Kings of the CCHL where he appeared in 5 games, scoring 1 goal & 1 assist for 2 points.

From what I've heard, he'd like to play closer to home, Ottawa, Kingston, Belleville or Peterborough. He's willing to suite up with the Pembroke Lumber Kings of the CCHL this season if he is not dealt to a team of his preference. I personally believe he simply doesn't wanna play in Saginaw, an he would go to a number of OHL teams. You know London & Windsor will make their pitches. Don't sleep on Guelph either, they have lots of picks to play with.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:14 pm

Rumour - Sonny Milano, Columbus Bluejackets 2014 1st round pick and NCAA Commit, is likely headed to the Plymouth Whalers. Lots of chatter about the Bluejackets preferring he play in the OHL against the NCAA.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next