Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gen's make a trade.

+5
jaycro
oshgens2k2
Tuckerfan1
LX
steamed
9 posters

Go down

Gen's make a trade. Empty Gen's make a trade.

Post by steamed Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:02 pm

Gens make a trade today for draft picks didn't see this one coming
Kitchener Rangers ‏@OHLRangers
#TRANSACTION: F Brent Pedersen headed to @Oshawa_Generals for 2nd rd picks ('17, '18), 3rd rd ('16) and 2 cond'l

steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Gen's make a trade. Empty Re: Gen's make a trade.

Post by LX Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:41 pm

That seems like a lot. I looked up his stats. Nothing impressive but listed as a big guy. I'm guessing power forward?

LX

Number of posts : 190
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerfan1 Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:47 pm

Hopefully we can go 2 for 2 when bringing in guys from Kitchener to play under DJ. Sterk has turned out to be a steal and everyone is saying Pedersen is a hard working player.
Tuckerfan1
Tuckerfan1

Number of posts : 59
Seat Section : 101
Registration date : 2014-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerfan1 Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:49 pm

My only question is where does he slot into the lineup? With Cassels back, that means 2 guys will be scratched. Huether and ????
Tuckerfan1
Tuckerfan1

Number of posts : 59
Seat Section : 101
Registration date : 2014-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:53 pm

With cassels back I think line up looks like
Smith - cassels - latour
Mdc- cirelli- sterk
Lindberg- Harding-pederson
Turner- Wallace- heuther/manchurek

Pu is next piece in trade after jan 1 prob

oshgens2k2

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:18 pm

Not exactly what I was looking for. I was hoping for more of a scorer. Ranger fans have complained that he was not a legitimate 1st rounder and have been disappointed in his development. I think we overpaid by one 2nd! I think I would have preferred Justin Bailey! We are weaker on the right side and Pederson is a LW. What's Macker think?

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:33 pm

I'm a fan of bringing in Pedersen, as I think he was exactly what the Generals where missing last year when they came up against North Bay in the East Finals. However, I'm not exactly thrilled with the price tag. I understand you have to give up something to get something. An in the Generals position you don't want to subtract from your current lineup. But two 2nd round picks, a 3rd and two conditional picks, its a lot.

Before I get into more detail, Pedersen likely won't be back next year, he's pro ready as a third line AHL player, he'll be with the Charlotte Checkers next season. So one of the conditional picks will never change hands. I believe the other condition is the Generals make it to the league final, so one of those conditionals will likely exchange hands. (I'll dig into some sources to find out the exact conditions and post when I am 100% assured of the facts)

Pedersen may never live up to his first round pick billing, but he is a solid 6'2, 215 power forward, with a high compete level, offensive ability and by every sense of the term a hockey player. He will drop the mitts and stick up for teammates (fought Hunter Smith when Kitchener was in Oshawa earlier this year), he's a solid net front presence and skates well for a guy of his size. Throw in his hockey IQ and the fact he's defensively responsible and this guy is a good fit for the Gens. Someone who won't throw off the chemistry or come in an be a raw raw guy that is all about himself. While he may not produce potently offensively, he'll contribute and his major contributions will come in the playoffs.

Side note, I can 100% confirm the Generals are in on Dakota Mermis, and they where in on Mike McCarron prior to acquiring Pedersen. Nick Moutrey was the target, but his price was even higher then Pedersen's. Look for the Soo Greyhounds to snag Moutrey before everything is said an done.

*I'll have a full trade article up on imaginesportsmedia.com within the hour as well as a full trade deadline preview in the coming days.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:38 pm

As far as the lines, that's anyone's guess at this point. However I can see Latour dropping down into a 3rd line role with the addition of Pedersen.

Dal Colle - Cirelli - Pedersen
Smith - Cassels - Sterk
Latour- Harding - Lindberg
Pu* - Wallace - Huether**

*I expect Pu to be trade bait for the Generals as they are very legitimate Memorial Cup Contenders and this year has been a complete bust for Pu with the early injury and now playing limited minutes. While it may hurt the future, moving him may allow the Generals to pick up a key piece that gets them to a Memorial Cup.

**Huether I think is the more effective off himself, Manchurek and Turner. However all play different styles and will likely rotate based on play and opponent. Don't expect Huether, wouldn't be surprised to see Manchurek or Turner move in a smaller deal to recoup some picks, all be it mid to late picks.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by generalsfan Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:41 pm

Interesting to look at the trade deadline discussion thread that was started on the Rangers board yesterday. Pedersen is the player a few of their message board posters said they wouldn't trade, because in their opinion, he's the heart and soul of their team. Another Rangers fan has posted that Oshawa just upped their character game big time and that Pedersen will shine with us.

Nice to read. Let's see if it works out that way! Very Happy

generalsfan

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:46 pm

I'm happy with the trade a power forward, gave draft pick not bodies, the draft picks will gave up we will likely get back in the next couple of years when we sell our assets Very Happy
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:48 pm

Just checked the Rangers thread on HF Boards and they all are very complimentary toward Pederson and as Macker says, a good character player, a hard worker, 200 foot power forward who will likely blossom into more of a scorer in Oshawa just like Sterk, only moreso. They say he is a better pickup than Bailey who can be lazy or disinterested at times whereas Pederson is a worker all the time. Some Ranger fans are a little surprised the Gens gave up so much to get him however. Looks like a good addition a poor man's Nick Ritchie!

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:52 pm

jaycro wrote:Just checked the Rangers thread on HF Boards and they all are very complimentary toward Pederson and as Macker says, a good character player, a hard worker, 200 foot power forward who will likely blossom into more of a scorer in Oshawa just like Sterk, only moreso. They say he is a better pickup than  Bailey who can be lazy or disinterested at times whereas Pederson is a worker all the time. Some Ranger fans are a little surprised the Gens gave up so much to get him however. Looks like a good addition a poor man's Nick Ritchie!

And without the on ice off ice issue that Richie has. Roger Hunt also coached him in one of the under Championships a couple of years ago also played with Cassels on that team so the Gen's do know what there getting
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:00 pm

Now all we need is a big, tough, experienced ('94) defenceman a la Brown who can clear the front of the net. Who would you like to see?

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:14 pm

Look for the Generals to try and get Curcuruto out of Plymouth, although they've ben linked to Mermis with Corbett being the third option.

Here's the trade article,
http://imaginesportsmedia.com/?p=3118

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:19 pm

Just a thought maybe there is more to this deal, Iafrate is waiting on a suspension OHL hasn't issued it yet as Branch is still in Christmas cheer Laughing
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by core33 Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:38 pm

Wow that's a lot to give up for a rental who's not a star. Sudbury wouldn't take that for pancel? Even if you had to add a younger player not named Pu or Harding, or add another 3rd.

core33

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by core33 Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:40 pm

Don't get me wrong, he does like look like a good addition. Belleville got Brace last year for just a 2nd. And we got Smokowitz for a 2nd.

core33

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by gensrock Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:39 pm

funny how almost no one mentions Brent Pedersen in any guessing trades yet he comes to oshawa ........this is why I always say only a few actual employees of the gens know what they are doing!
gensrock
gensrock

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:53 pm

To respond to my own question above, I would like to see Max Iafrate in a Gennies uniform.

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down