Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gens to announce on Jan 3 Ownership CHange Structure

+12
wannabe
generalsfan
archer_gens
Gens Fan 108
Generalizations
ogf
the croc
steamed
UGENS
hockeybeats
gmc 118
Gens_Fan_22
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gens to announce on Jan 3 Ownership CHange Structure Empty Gens to announce on Jan 3 Ownership CHange Structure

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:05 pm

Press conference schedule for 3 p.m. on Sunday to announce Ownership Change structure.
Guess we couldn't be so lucky for Tulio to be gone...........was that too nasty to say?????? as it is just a structure change. Hopefully he owns less and less til he is gone.

Gens_Fan_22

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

Gens to announce on Jan 3 Ownership CHange Structure Empty Re: Gens to announce on Jan 3 Ownership CHange Structure

Post by gmc 118 Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:10 pm

Well let the debate begin. Maybe most gens fans like john davies as the owner. I for one wish he is gone. Not to say tullio is perfect, but davies sure made lots of mistakes when he owned the generals. He hired his friends as GM and COACH instead of hockey people, and where did that get us.COACHES fired and fired cause sellwood hired the wrong people. With any luck, both will be gone and we will get hockey people as owners.
gmc 118
gmc 118

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Gens to announce on Jan 3 Ownership CHange Structure Empty Re: Gens to announce on Jan 3 Ownership CHange Structure

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:36 pm

When Tulio sees fans in opposing teams arenas and doesn't even acknowlege them tells us fans alot.

Gens_Fan_22

Back to top Go down

Post by gmc 118 Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:44 pm

HHHmmm i am a season ticket holder, and have never seen either owner at the games. I know they are both there. davies has walked by where we stand before the game starts and has never stopped to say hi or acknowledge us, you think tullio should be gone and i think davies or both should be gone. Like i said in my first post i did say lets bring in hockey people not just business men who know nothing about hockey, and judging by all davies mistakes, he knows very little about hockey.He ran this club like a friendship club.
gmc 118
gmc 118

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:15 pm

Tullio was at almost every game initially but has not been around lately. He was at the game against Windsor (logically) and I think the home opener and that's it for this season as far as I know although I do know he has been in the office during the week sometimes even if not at the game on the weekend.

As for "bringing in hockey people", you can't really do that because nobody hires the owner. Not being a publically traded corporation with a board accountable to stockholders, the only way to change an owner is to get the current owner to sell and that owner could sell to whomever he wishes. And if they don't want to sell, nobody can make them.

That's why for example, Brampton can survive in its market with 1000-2000 fans showing up, lose tons of money but still continue because its wealthy owner just keeps bleeding money.

To be honest, I don't think a "present" owner that is visible to fans really matters. The face of the club are those who work in the office. The owner's job is merely to finance the organization properly, seek the best people to run the organization and collect profits if there are any. The owner doesn't do public relations, he hires someone for that. He doesn't do marketing, he hires someone for that. He shouldn't be involved with player personnel decisions, that's the GM's responsibility and who plays is the coach's decision. The owner can keep a watchful eye to make sure everybody is doing what they are supposed to but not step on anyone else's toes. That's how I think an ideal organization would be run.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:51 pm

Understand your logic.
I am just saying that as a season ticket holder and also someone who travels to most away games, it is disheartening when you do run into Tulio at an out of town game and no acknowledgement is made. WE as fans are lining his pockets because without US his pockets wouldn't be as full

Gens_Fan_22

Back to top Go down

Post by UGENS Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:19 pm

Gens_Fan_22

I don't know who you are by your handle, but if you ride consistanly with the Oshawa Booster Club you would have heard the appology that was sent to the fan members by Mr Tullio on the bus to Owen Sound. He called me a day or so prior to the Owen Sound trip to say he was sorry he couldn't come see us as he has already made a huge promise to his son to host his minor team at that game. He truly appreciates the support our Booster Club gives the lads and wouldn't want to offend any fan.

UGENS(Karon)
UGENS
UGENS

Number of posts : 944
Seat Section : Sec 113 row 15 seat 18
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:27 pm

The only way Rocco would know that you are a season ticket holder when you walk in a visiting arena is if he has talked to you a few times and remembers your face. Maybe he isn't the type to do that. Remember not only season ticket holders travel. There are Generals fans that travel all over the place for all sorts of reasons and even some living in other cities who may have moved. How can he possibly remember the face of hundreds, even thousands of people and say "I know that couple, they are season ticket holders" unless he has talked to you a few times?

I guess I'm somebody who has a poor memory with names and faces. I've had it happen where I run into someone that I haven't seen in a long time and they become offended that I don't remember them. All I can do is apologize and move on. I've lived in four different cities over the past decade and met hundreds of people doing various things. I don't remember them all. Maybe Rocco is similar.

Have you had enough conversations with Rocco that he might be able to identify you as a season ticket holder and remember your face? I don't how many season ticket holders there are but I imagine it's at least 2000. Tough to remember that many people by face I would think.

When I purchased season tickets for the Ottawa 67s and then returned two or three weeks later to make my final payment, the lady who worked in the team store/office immediately recognized me and even remembered my name from that one initial meeting two weeks earlier! Yes, that did make me feel valued but I wouldn't hold anybody else to that standard. That's a talent. One I surely don't have.

Perhaps what you would prefer is that Rocco is at every game at the doorway, welcoming fans into the arena and mingling with fans. Maybe that's just not his personality type and it's not something I see most OHL owners doing. The only time I ever saw Jeff Hunt when I had 67s season tickets was at their big ticket distribution ceremony where he gave a speech but I was in a crowd of thousands. I wouldn't expect him to recognize me. But I still think he's an incredibly successful owner because OHL hockey is thriving in a market with an NHL team and attendance is way, way up from the time before he was owner and the team is reasonably successful on the ice.

EDIT: I didn't consider the Booster Club, I was thinking of this in a sense of fans travelling on their own to a visiting team's rink.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:35 pm

I found this intersting when I went on the Gens offical site and looked @ all the drop down tabs when I came to ownership tab the only photo was Roco's and not Davies and it was there before so it makes me thing Roccos the sole owner I guess we will find out at the rink Sunday night Cool
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by the croc Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:11 pm

I didn't always see the Humphries(father&son) when they owned the team, but they were able to hire some capable people to run this team. They were local and until Humphries junior retired to Gravenhust he was very much involved. I wish that the ownership was still local then they might have their heart in this rather than just their money. HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

the croc

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:16 pm

I agree with you Beats

ogf

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2007-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:17 pm

he is something I found on Loose pucks:

The Oshawa Generals will be holding a press conference on Sunday Jan. 3, to make an announcement regarding the team's ownership.

The headline of the press release sent out by the team said the following: "GENERALS TO ANNOUNCE NEW OWNERSHIP" this would obviously imply new people taking over from both current owners Rocco Tullio and John Davies.

However, when you read the finer print in the press release, it states the announcement is to herald in a "change in the team’s ownership structure" which is a completely different kind of monkey.

My guess -- and it's an uneducated guess at that-- is that based on the fact that only Tullio is scheduled to appear at the presser, he's staying on as owner and has bought out or has found someone else to buyout John Davies' shares.

The ownership situation in Oshawa has been cloudy since July 2008 when John Davies' shares in the Generals were supposed to have been bought out by former NHLer Adam Graves and ex-OHL coach Peter DeBoer who were brought in by Tullio. According to a story in the Durham Region News from this summer, the deal to purchase Davies' shares was terminated in June when the conditions of the sale were not met. And as always, with big money issues, there were lawyers involved.

Hopefully Sunday's announcement will clear a lot of questions up.
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Generalizations Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:49 pm

I've seen both owners at games in the past. Davies used to have a season seat on the aisle behind the penalty box and would talk to many of the fans. I'd see him alot at road games as well. Although I haven't seen him since his share was sold off to Tullio. I have also seen Tullio at games. He does seem busy with running the team and his other businesses, and did seem a bit less accessible than Davies, but nonetheless, he did memorize my name and always said hello.

Generalizations

Number of posts : 435
Seat Section : Section 120
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by gmc 118 Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:08 pm

Well judging how its announced on the GENS website, with ROCCO TULLIO, CHRIS DIPIERO AND THE PLAYERS to be on hand. No mention of JOHN DAVIES, this would probably mean he is no longer owner of the club. Smile
gmc 118
gmc 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 108 Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:41 am

First off... HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

Second, Davies name was on the Gens website just after the start of the season and yes, it is now gone. I saw Davies at one of the red & white game at the begining of the year but have not seen him since.

Hopefully this means that the year will start off well, at least in some areas.... Very Happy

Gens Fan 108

Number of posts : 81
Seat Section : 108
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:53 am

This post sure took off.

All I was saing is that it would be nice to be acknowleged by Tulio in opposing teams arena when he see you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gens_Fan_22

Back to top Go down

Post by UGENS Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:33 pm

Sure it's nice to be acknowledged by the owner, if your in a large group like the Generals Booster Club, but no owner has to go out of his way to say hello. At least all of our owners over the years who have made it clear they appreciate their Booster Club.

I guess what I'm trying to say is no owner of any team has to say hello if they don't want to, if they do that's nice, but as they never twisted your arm to support that team or any other. Seems all us fans at times expect way to much for what we pay for and that is to see a hockey game that's it!!!

UGENS(karon)
UGENS
UGENS

Number of posts : 944
Seat Section : Sec 113 row 15 seat 18
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by gmc 118 Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:30 pm

Well the rumour has it, tullio has brought in peter deboer and adam graves as part of the ownership group.Now we have real hockey people and stability in the ownership.We all know what peter has done in his years in the ohl.This should help in our bid that was put forward to host the memorial cup next year.
gmc 118
gmc 118

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:18 am

gmc 118 wrote:Well the rumour has it, tullio has brought in peter deboer and adam graves as part of the ownership group.Now we have real hockey people and stability in the ownership.We all know what peter has done in his years in the ohl.This should help in our bid that was put forward to host the memorial cup next year.

we're gonna go through this all over again by the sounds of it

wow
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by generalsfan Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:23 am

gmc 118 wrote:Well the rumour has it, tullio has brought in peter deboer and adam graves as part of the ownership group.Now we have real hockey people and stability in the ownership.We all know what peter has done in his years in the ohl.This should help in our bid that was put forward to host the memorial cup next year.
Sounds like that could be it. TSN is saying that's what the Gens are expected to announce. Kind of like deja vu all over again!

generalsfan

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by wannabe Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:28 pm

Gens_Fan_22 wrote:When Tulio sees fans in opposing teams arenas and doesn't even acknowlege them tells us fans alot.

You've never been unfortunate enough to be a London Knights season ticket holder then?? Much ruder than anyone I have ever dealt with in Oshawa. As a season ticket holder you have no claims to face time with owners or coaches. That's what town hall meetings, open houses and special events are for. I've seen Tullio acknowlege plenty of people. As an owner he is most interested in his hockey club, his players and their families. I can tell you from first hand experience that he is a stand-up guy who has the best interests of his players and their families in heart. He makes sure they are taken care of in whatever indeavors they are involved in be it finding a training centre in the off season, a job for the summer, school or career councelling. He even will go as far as to offer his home to not only Gens players but players we have traded. For example Dale Mitchell and Justin Shugg lived with the Tullio family when they were trade to Windsor to ease the transition. This was greatly appreciated by players and families involved. I would much rather have him and his family involved with these kids than say Brad Selwood who gave a crap only about John Tavares on the team. Selwood and Davies would beeline for Barb Tavares after every game and ignore each and every other parent that was standing in their way. I've seen it first hand. Yes there are stars on a team but hockey is a team sport and the rest of the team is not just a supporting cast member but an important part of the organization.

wannabe

Number of posts : 50
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2009-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:48 pm

I disagree somewhat with many of the comments regarding acknowleging fans at games
At home I could care less if I was acknowledged or not by Tulio as there are just too many fans there.
However, if I am out of town and our paths cross, I expected at least a hello from him. If our paths don't cross, then he shouldn't go out of his way.

Gens_Fan_22

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:05 pm

And the Gens new ownership struture change is.......
Tullio,Debour,Graves Very Happy
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:03 pm

much ado about nothing !

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:09 pm

just another photo shoot for Tullio , Davies must have won the arbritration
Tullio is another overpromise /underdeliver owner
He will sell in a year or so is my bet
Adam / Peter please buy this guy out

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4

Number of posts : 230
Seat Section : 105
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next