Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hamilton Tiger Cats To Oshawa?

2 posters

Go down

Hamilton Tiger Cats To Oshawa? Empty Hamilton Tiger Cats To Oshawa?

Post by Guest Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:30 am

Hamilton Tiger Cats moving to Oshawa is being discussed at Oshawa council.

Talk is about building a new soccer stadium for the Pan Am games with the Hamilton Tiger Cats moving to Oshawa as main tenant.

If Oshawa Council plans to raise the already ridiculously high property tax rates to do this i for one want no part of it and vote no.

Am also not a CFL fan.

Now if the NFL's Buffalo Bills wanted to move to a new stadium in Oshawa lets discuss. Very Happy

In fact i'm already getting goose bumps thinking about UGENS yelling...

LETS GO YOU BILLIES!!! WOOO!!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Hamilton Tiger Cats To Oshawa? Empty Re: Hamilton Tiger Cats To Oshawa?

Post by hockeybeats Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:56 am

I love the CFL but Oshawa's too close to Toronto. It's not like the Argos are packing them in and we need another GTA team. If the Ti-Cats move, it should be to Quebec City or maybe Halifax. In Quebec City, they get crowds of 20,000 to watch CIS football, probably the only place in Canada that does nowadays so it's a market that definitely supports football. There isn't any evidence that people in Oshawa have any interest in a local pro football team. This shouldn't have even reach the discussion phase and I wonder if Oshawa City Council actually requested this or the Pan-Am committee is in panic mode because of the Ti-Cats threats to leave town because they want no part of the site in Hamilton where the stadium is to be built so they're trying to see which community they can force this cost onto.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:43 am

Beats, although I agree with what you are saying, the argument of Oshawa being to close to Toronto really doesn't fly. Oshawa-Toronto or Hamilton-Toronto is basically the same distance. I even checked it out on MapQuest. It will be a shame to see Hamilton lose their team. They do love the Cats there and it is a storied franchise. My first wish would see the Cats stay in Hamilton, but like you, I believe a place like Quebec City would probably be a better bet than moving to Oshawa. I don't believe for a second that a team in Oshawa would survive.

Taking it a step further, what about Burlington? The same fans could support the team in a new arena just down the road. But would they?

ogf

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2007-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:28 pm

The Ti-Cats exist only because they are a historic, storied franchise. Although the distance to Toronto doesn't actually change over time, in a way it has because Hamilton used to be a separate city with its own identity. Today, Hamilton is pretty much a suburb. If the Ti-Cats had never existed, Hamilton would never be considered for a CFL team today for the same reason as Oshawa - too close to Toronto.

That's the really sad part. If the Ti-Cats leave, unlike Ottawa, I don't think pro football would ever come back to Hamilton. That reminds me, Ottawa would also be a very possible destination for the Ti-Cats franchise if they do move. They're supposed to be in the process of fixing up Frank Clair Stadium anyways.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down