Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Make Or Break Season For Generals Goalie Tandem

2 posters

Go down

Make Or Break Season For Generals Goalie Tandem Empty Make Or Break Season For Generals Goalie Tandem

Post by Kevy Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:35 pm

Found this over on the Noof...

by Brian McNair
from newsdurham region

A grand total of four goalies have been selected in the first round of the Ontario Hockey League draft since the year 2000.

Exactly half of them are with the Oshawa Generals right now.

Considering one, Michael Zador, is 19, and the other, Kevin Bailie, is 18, that would suggest goaltending will be a position of strength for the Generals this season.

Unfortunately, it may well be their biggest question mark, something that will either have to change or be addressed before the team can take that much-anticipated next step.

At best, both goalies were frustratingly inconsistent last season.

Granted, they were playing behind a green blue-line and a team that didn't always seem committed to defence, but neither was able to step up, grab the proverbial ball and run with it.

Chris DePiero, the team's head coach and general manager, would often say he was starting the goalie he thought most likely could produce a win.

In truth, it seemed he was picking the goalie less likely to lay an egg.

When last season's numbers are crunched, it doesn't paint a pretty picture. Of the 31 goalies who played in 25 games or more, Zador was 28th in goals-against average (4.15) and Bailie 30th (4.41). They fared no better in save percentage, in the exact same spots at .884 and .871 respectively.

Through it all, though, DePiero remained patient, at least in front of closed doors. He quite correctly pointed out that neither went into the season with a vast amount of junior playing experience.

But, surely his patience is wearing thin.

"Our perspective is going to be, hey, they're another year older, hopefully another year more mature," says DePiero. "Both want to be professional goaltenders and I think they weren't happy with how the season went for them last year ... My expectation level of them is that they're going to show that their capable."

The fact of the matter is it's a make-or-break season for both goalies, as even DePiero quickly agrees.

"Absolutely, there's no doubt, and I think they recognize that deep, deep down," he says. "We'll have to keep a close eye on it, but work with them through this process to help make those necessary strides over the haul. I'll wait and see what the results end up being."

DePiero has pointed out in the past that contending teams normally bring in a goalie to push them over the top.

Still a young team, the Generals should take a big leap forward this season, but are surely a year away from reaching contender status.

It'll be interesting to see if one or both of these goalies can reach it with them.

Note: The Generals' annual Red versus Whitby game has been changed to start at 11 a.m. Saturday at the General Motors Centre.
Kevy
Kevy

Number of posts : 789
Seat Section : 114 Row 7
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Make Or Break Season For Generals Goalie Tandem Empty Re: Make Or Break Season For Generals Goalie Tandem

Post by archer_gens Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:02 pm

neither looked spectacular, however neither looked bad in my opinion at least anyways.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down