Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

De Haan Back!!!!!!!!

+8
newgensfan85
jaycro
steamed
gensfan33
ohagan
Gens Camper
archer_gens
KHE
12 posters

Go down

De Haan Back!!!!!!!! Empty De Haan Back!!!!!!!!

Post by KHE Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:38 am

Latest post from our friend at islanderspointblank.com. The last paragraph is the most important.

10:35 am, NVMC: The Islanders have hit the ice at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Everyone is here. Figure on any roster announcements/news leaks coming in the afternoon. Here’s the practice lineup:

Comeau - Tavares - Parenteau

Moulson - Nielsen - Hunter

Bailey - Weight - Niederreiter

Gillies - Konopka - Sim

Grabner (alone in green)

Defense: MacDonald, Wisniewski, Eaton, Martinek, Hillen, Mottau, Jurcina, Gervais, de Haan

DiPietro

Roloson

Michael Grabner was welcomed to the squad right away. The last player to join the pack when Scott Gordon started a meeting at one of the goals, Grabner - as is custom - has to skate a lap. He flew.

I’m under the impression that perceived 7-8 defensemen Bruno Gervais and Milan Jurcina. What that means for the rest…ah, who am I to speculate?

Never mind. It would appear the Islanders are doing to right thing for the long run, and the 19-year-old de Haan will star for the Oshawa Generals and Team Canada at the World Junior Championships.

Last edited by KHE on Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

KHE

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

De Haan Back!!!!!!!! Empty Re: De Haan Back!!!!!!!!

Post by archer_gens Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:33 pm

The Islanders will cut 2 players by today at 3pm. Because of injuries they need to cut 2 by that time, and 4 more as the 4 slowlys come back into the line up from injury.

If the team goes with 2 extra forwards and 1 extra defencemen as i expect then they will cut 2 d-men by 3pm.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:21 pm

CALVIN IS NOT ON THE ISLANDERS FINAL ROSTER JUST RELEASED!

What a battle Friday night with both teams possibly having there star d-men back in the line up!
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:23 pm

The New York Islanders announced today that defenseman Calvin de Haan has been returned to his junior club, the Oshawa Generals of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), and forward Matt Martin has been assigned to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the American Hockey League (AHL).

de Haan, 19, was selected by the Islanders in the first round (12th overall) of the 2009 National Hockey League (NHL) Entry Draft. Last season, the 6-1, 189-pound defenseman from Ottawa, ON, scored 24 points (5g/19a) in 34 games with Oshawa, before seeing his second OHL season cut short due to a shoulder injury that required surgery. de Haan represented Canada at the 2010 World Junior Championships, tallying one assist with a +4 rating in four games to help his team to a silver medal. He posted one goal and one assist in three 2010 preseason contests with the Islanders.

Martin, 21, was the Islanders’ fifth round selection (148th overall) in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. The 6-3, 210-pound. defenseman from Windsor, ON, made his NHL debut last season, posting two assists and 26 penalty minutes in five games with the Islanders. Martin also scored 31 points (12 goals, 19 assists) in 76 AHL games with the Sound Tigers last year. Martin played in one game during the 2010 preseason before suffering a lower body injury in practice, which held him out of the remainder of the Islanders’ exhibition schedule.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Great news for the GENS - now who gets cut on Defense

It is hard to believe it wasn't long ago we were looking for

players and now we have too many

Welcome back Captain Calvin

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:55 pm

The New York Islanders announced today that they have returned Defenceman Calvin de Haan to the Oshawa Generals.

de Haan, 19, was selected by the Islanders in the first round (12th overall) of the 2009 National Hockey League Entry Draft. Last season, the 6-1, 189-pound defenseman from Carp, ON, scored 24 points (5g/19a) in 34 games with Oshawa, before seeing his second OHL season cut short due to a shoulder injury that required surgery.

de Haan represented Canada at the 2010 World Junior Championships, tallying one assist with a +4 rating in four games to help his team to a silver medal. He posted one goal and one assist in three 2010 preseason contests with the Islanders.

With Calvin’s return, Oshawa Generals Head Coach and General Manager Chris DePiero also announced that de Haan has been named the Generals Team Captain for the 2010-2011 season.

Originally a third round pick of the Generals in the 2007 OHL Priority Selection, de Haan is expected to rejoin his teammates tomorrow and play Friday night with the Generals against the Kingston Frontenacs. He will make his home debut this coming Monday, October 11th when the Generals host the Ottawa 67’s at 2pm.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by ohagan Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:25 pm

What a great day for Gens news. Second in the Chl and Dehaan coming back is excellent. We got the job done against Kingston on Sunday, but with the 4 suspended players back and Dehaan in the lineup, we are going to give Kingston another run for their money on Friday

ohagan

Number of posts : 360
Seat Section : 119 standing room
Registration date : 2010-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:25 pm

Any word on who we cut? Someone will have to go befire friday so we can activate him
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by ohagan Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:51 pm

Thats a good question. I wonder if McDowell will be the casualty of the numbers crunch?

ohagan

Back to top Go down

Post by gensfan33 Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:08 pm

that's good news welcome back calvin.
gensfan33
gensfan33

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:50 pm

ohagan wrote:Thats a good question. I wonder if McDowell will be the casualty of the numbers crunch?

McDowell will not be going anywere.it will be Wlson,Hope that maybe finding a new home along with Clark play Zupancic as a forward.but it's a nice situation to be in as we never had this luxuary before.I'm sure something is going to happen soon as there is a log jam at defense and forward.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:44 pm

I agree, steamed... probably one or both of the above might be gone. Wilson brings nothing for next year as an overager and Hope is the weakest of the three draftees from last year and could be replaced by Josh Brown. Both are decent , but not great in any one area; size, hitting, playmaking, heavy shot etc..There just not good enough to keep around; although I would keep Hope ahead of Zupancic if and when de Haan is moved in January if we are not in the thick of things at that time.

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by newgensfan85 Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:58 pm

i honestly dont see the gens moving de haan anywhere this team has a great shot of going far and de haan is needed on this team to get there

newgensfan85

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Rooster Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:32 pm

newgensfan85 wrote:i honestly dont see the gens moving de haan anywhere this team has a great shot of going far and de haan is needed on this team to get there

Maybe... I think they have to see where this team is come December as it is still really early. If Chris P thinks we have a real shot at the memorial cup then keep deHaan. If not, I think you have to consider moving him to add to the puzzle for next year as Calvin will be gone after this year. If we have a better shot next year then IMO, Calvin should be traded assuming we can get some more talent for next year. Combine this with maybe getting Biggs and we are potentially becoming a real power.

Food for thought.

Rooster
Rooster

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2007-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:35 am

The last time we were in this position was the last time we made the playoffs. If we would have kept our draft picks, traded the right one or two players that were not reurning, we had a great shot. Instead we rushed things and missed the playoffs two years in a row. If we are keeping the team as is we better be in first in the conference, because if your gonna make a run we'd end up trading at the deadline to get better. Could hurt what I think are great chances for next year.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by ohagan Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:02 am

archer_gens wrote:The last time we were in this position was the last time we made the playoffs. If we would have kept our draft picks, traded the right one or two players that were not reurning, we had a great shot. Instead we rushed things and missed the playoffs two years in a row. If we are keeping the team as is we better be in first in the conference, because if your gonna make a run we'd end up trading at the deadline to get better. Could hurt what I think are great chances for next year.

i agree with your comments, but look at what dips has done in a few short years, we have an awesome team with good future potential. my point is that i dont think we will sell the boat to win quickly, the selwood days are finally gone and his fingerprints are finally off this team. dips has built a great team and he is a smart gm and i look forward to good seasons to come. we havent had a good gm since wayne daniels left in the mid to late 90s and i now i think we are in good shape again. really. we havent had playoff success since 1997, our last cup appearance.

ohagan

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:54 pm

I know it's not the same league but De Piero did the same thing with the Buzzers in Junior A. He started out not with a rebuilding team but an expansion team, same idea. Went 0-9 to start the season, I'm not sure what their record was at the end but they missed the playoffs. A short time later they were one of the top teams year after year.

I did mention that two years ago and don't recall very many people agreeing with me at all. Supposedly he "already had his chance". Rolling Eyes

He had his vision from day one on the team he wants to coach. Gradually, he has gotten rid of the players that don't fit that vision (through not only trades but graduation as well) and used the draft to select the type of players that he thinks would complement each other and fit his style of coaching.

That's why I always took issue with those who said that he's a good GM and a bad coach - you can't separate the two. As a GM, he selected players that he wanted to coach. He is either effective in the dual role or he isn't. This is a three or four year process. He was thinking long-term while his critics couldn't see past the next week to see what was going on here.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ohagan Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:10 pm

Well put Beats, dips has built the gens into a contender

ohagan

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:31 pm

I agree Beats although there was a time where I thought he had to go as well after an embarrassing no effort loss.

The eau d'Selwood is now gone.

I think Cirella is a help to. I see him talking to the defense during the came. He has been around hockey a long time.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:40 pm

i said earlier dehaan would be back , it only made sense to me , good on the islanders and good for the gens , and most of all very good opportunity for dehaan , to be in a position to really make a difference , make a statement . ......next year dehaan will play for the islanders .

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down