Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

de Haan out 6 Months

+7
ogf
jaycro
archer_gens
Chamoo
Oshawa fan
Gens_Fan_22
bigE88
11 posters

Go down

de Haan out 6 Months Empty de Haan out 6 Months

Post by bigE88 Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:27 pm

I don't know if my eyes were bugging out, but I swore I just read on TSN ticker that de Haan would be out 6 months with shoulder surgery !
bigE88
bigE88

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

de Haan out 6 Months Empty Re: de Haan out 6 Months

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:47 pm

Saw the same thing on tsn and here is the report.

Text Size
New York Islanders prospect Calvin de Haan is scheduled to have shoulder surgery on Thursday and will be out of action for six months, according to a report in Newsday.

De Haan, a star defenceman for the Oshawa Generals of the Ontario Hockey League, left Sunday's game against the Saginaw Spirit in the first period with an upper body injury.

On the play, de Haan got tied up with a Spirit forward along the sideboards and went down awkwardly. He skated off the ice hunched over and immediately went to the dressing room.

The 18-year old first round draft pick (12th overall) from the 2009 NHL Entry Draft has five goals and 19 assists with a plus- 5 rating in 34 games with the Generals.

Gens_Fan_22

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:51 pm

Now posted on Gens website

Gens_Fan_22

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:14 pm

Ouch! I feel badly for the poor kid. I hope he makes a full recovery.

It really hurts the team to lose your best player. He had really played well lately.

While I know there is no good side it does almost guarantee he will be back next year. I was worried about that as his play was so strong of late.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Chamoo Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:22 pm

Oshawa fan wrote:While I know there is no good side it does almost guarantee he will be back next year. I was worried about that as his play was so strong of late.

I was thinking the same thing. It's a real shame he is injured and I never wish that on anyone, but now that it has happened, it does pretty much guarentee he will be back in 2010/2011 which is very good news for the Gennies.

This will give the young defence we have time to improve with more playing time, however they won't have that top defenceman to look up to and try to emulate with Calvin out.

Chamoo

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:40 pm

ouch to our play off hopes

get well Calvin
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:25 pm

on a side note

Gens without Calvin

with Calvin

archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:56 pm

Aaww...crap! If it wasn't for bad luck....

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am

Remember they still won that game on Sunday night without him for most of the game. Again, the guys are going to have to step it up a notch.................aren't you sick of hearing that? I am.
Seems that the beginning of the season was basically injury free. then all hell broke loose........two basically gone cause of the world juniors.........but how can you deny them that chance.
Get well all of you injured guys and hurry back into the line up.

Gens_Fan_22

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:27 am

At least the rest of the division is starting to have problems (injuries), look at Peterborough, they are hurted big time for the next two months.

Time for the vets to start playing every shift and actually out play the young ones.

ogf

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2007-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:57 am

problem is are best player is done for the year and there players are only done until playoffs
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:19 am

i never felt dehaan was ready to play in the nhl next year anyhow , he hasnt exactly been dominating with his play this year , he's young , he needs to play junior to get stronger and develop properly , now ist very doubtful he will play with the islanders next year , good for us , and ultimately good for him .as far as missing the playoffs , i could care less , what would be the point , if we make it good experience , but we are supposed to be in a rebuild guys , we need top draft choices , i hope we sink to the bottom to get those picks , so we get someone substantial ;like boone jenner , or christian thomas , right now we have 4 quality young players , jenner, thomas , berger and valentine , with dehart as an overage next year ,and hopefully dehaan, now the rest are basically filler , we need more quality to compete for the top !.. and hopefully one or two of the young defensmen will blossom , hope ? sullentrop ?

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:24 am

just read that dehaan has been nursing a bad shoulder for awhile , which explains to me his less than the usual stellar play he is capable of , the kids needs to improe his overall size and strength to play defense with the big boys ........good for us he'll be back !

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by bigE88 Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:48 am

mygens wrote:i never felt dehaan was ready to play in the nhl next year anyhow , he hasnt exactly been dominating with his play this year , he's young , he needs to play junior to get stronger and develop properly , now ist very doubtful he will play with the islanders next year , good for us , and ultimately good for him .as far as missing the playoffs , i could care less , what would be the point , if we make it good experience , but we are supposed to be in a rebuild guys , we need top draft choices , i hope we sink to the bottom to get those picks , so we get someone substantial ;like boone jenner , or christian thomas , right now we have 4 quality young players , jenner, thomas , berger and valentine , with dehart as an overage next year ,and hopefully dehaan, now the rest are basically filler , we need more quality to compete for the top !.. and hopefully one or two of the young defensmen will blossom , hope ? sullentrop ?

umm Berger is a 90 - he would be an over ager next year if he comes back.
Valentine is a 91 - next year is his last year in the OHL most likely as he is NHL property

You should care about making the playoffs because it builds experience if you want to compete next year and the year after
bigE88
bigE88

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:28 am

My thoughts - this is an old injury from NhL camp reinjured

Maybe now some of you Calvin bashers will lighten up

He has been playing hurt for some time

Get well Calvin

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayes#21 Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:58 pm

That is such a shame. I really hope he recovers well and the surgery is successful and it corrects the injury.

We will certainly miss him . I personally enjoy watching him play hockey.

Good Luck Calvin. Our thoughts and prayers are with you to a speedy recovery and we will be waiting with open arms to welcome you back next year.

Hayes#21

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Back to top Go down

de Haan out 6 Months Empty de Hann Out for 6 Months

Post by Popbottle Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:25 pm

We are very sorry and sadden to hear of Calvin's injury.
We wish you all the best Calvin and Pray that you will have a speedy and complete recovery.
While Calvin is out, I am hopeful that defencemen such as Wilson will get a chance to help try and fill the gap left by Calvin's departure.
Work Hard Gens of Luck and Best!!!!
Sincerely
Popbottle Very Happy

Popbottle

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:13 pm

Ottawa paper claims Calvin is done in Oshawa for good.

Says his junior career is now behind him???

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Blindsided+injuries/2492721/story.html
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:19 pm

Not sure how some reporter in Ottawa would think his career is over, Next year he is 19 it's NHL or Oshawa why would the Islanders not want to play him in Oshawa.

That is where he should be - getting in game shape - rebuilding his confidence and go to the show as an O A

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:21 pm

well archer _gens , as far as i'm concerned dehaan is not ready in terms of strength to play in the nhl , if the islanders do keep him next year it would be to his detriment in my view , there is no way he is ready , obviously the islanders have final say , so anything is possible , if he puts on 20 lbs of muscle over the summer , maybe , he jsut doesnt have the frame to play defense in the big leagues right now .....he'll be back

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:05 pm

Agreed, mygens!

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down