Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dips is a good GM but...

+11
hockeybeats
archer_gens
ogf
JPH
mygens
Kevy
Oshawa fan
Gens Camper
gogeneralsgo
pucktopuck
ohagan
15 posters

Go down

Dips is a good GM but... Empty Dips is a good GM but...

Post by ohagan Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:40 pm

Dips has built a good foundation for our hockey club as a GM and i feel like we will be in good shape in future seasons. But i wonder, is he a good coach for this team?

ohagan

Number of posts : 360
Seat Section : 119 standing room
Registration date : 2010-09-08

Back to top Go down

Dips is a good GM but... Empty Re: Dips is a good GM but...

Post by pucktopuck Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:47 pm

The scouts have built a good foundation...

pucktopuck

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by gogeneralsgo Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:57 pm

I agree - bringing in Graves / Payne / Laughton / Jensen / Sabourin / Quinn all from different places - a bright future for our Gens.

gogeneralsgo

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:10 pm

This is not a valid topic at this time.

Is he a good coach - time will tell and your reasons for asking

Lask week - 4 and 0 - you wouldn't ask so why now ?

A hockey club even the GM role is not just 1 person - it is the group of scouts as well as others in the organization.

The coach will be evaluated at the end of the year - if we make the playoffs and battle for 4th or 5th position - to me that is a bonus - this is a very talented ROOKIE laden team, and will take time to jell.

A good coach finds a way to get the players to over achieve - let's hope this happens

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:38 pm

I can't believe this topic this stage of the season. As GM Dips made the team he wanted so let him do what he should with it. In March we can talk about his coaching (actually I hoping it is May).

I do think the addition of Joe Cirella is a very positive step.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevy Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:52 pm

And it starts...
Kevy
Kevy

Number of posts : 789
Seat Section : 114 Row 7
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:10 pm

its not coaching , its goal tending , this team has very week goaltending , dips needs to go out and find a vet goalie , i was kind of surprised the gens passed on missean (sp) from the petes in fact the whole league passed on him , must be something else to that story , in any case lets hope dips can find someone before a great effort is wasted by the rest of the team and the losses start piling up . In the meantime i would go with bailie , zador is technically terrible , constantly giving up big rebounds , second and third scoring chances .

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by JPH Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:43 pm

mygens wrote:its not coaching , its goal tending , this team has very week goaltending , dips needs to go out and find a vet goalie , i was kind of surprised the gens passed on missean (sp) from the petes in fact the whole league passed on him , must be something else to that story , in any case lets hope dips can find someone before a great effort is wasted by the rest of the team and the losses start piling up . In the meantime i would go with bailie , zador is technically terrible , constantly giving up big rebounds , second and third scoring chances .

Goaltending is only as good as team defence. In no way do I think either of our Goalies are "stars" persay, They are able to make the save.....for the most part. Our defence is starting to turn from the allow 5 chances every time the oppostion gets s shot mentality. It shows in less GA. The last 2 starts, Zador has been good for one softie each game.

You can't blame goaltending for the sheer amount of poor penalites our team takes, nor can you blame our goaltending for our atrocious Pplay, nor can you blame the goaltending for when our D cannot clear the puck out of the zone.

I don't think our goaltending has lost us a game yet. While people may be quick to point at the 8-7 game, I feel the whole team was rather uninspired while those goals were piling up.

I've been one to critique the Goaltending many many times, and I'll say this year.....so far... it has not been an issue.

3 in 3 coming up, we will see both goalies, although personally I have to disagree with you, and stick with Zador.

JPH

Number of posts : 172
Seat Section : Somewhere in Section 119
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:11 am

well said JPH

ogf

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2007-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:17 am

We're doing worse then the Leafs and the Sky is Falling!!!!

bounce

There is no way to tell if Dips is a good coach, we have nothing to compare him to. By which I mean you can't say well Dips went 4-1-1 with the team and Coach B went 6-0.

We've all jumped on Dips alot in the past (maybe not all but majority) and I've always said he's a good gm and a not so excellent coach. That said this is his chance to impress, these are his players and not Selwoods. So that being said I think barring missing the playoffs that he should be given the go ahead for this season and next season. This year is seen as a building year, so as long as we move forward (playoffs) give him next year. If we don't do well next year with Dips then you have your answer.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:26 am

p.s. if the Leafs have a playoff bound team (I don't yet believe they do), will Gens attendance suffer?

Leafs Nation seems to be crazily abuzz with dreams of Playoffs sketched in there heads.

I see people jumping on the bandwagon fast.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:58 pm

Hilarious!

So a team that is motivated enough to come back from 7-2 and leading the division has questionable coaching?

He built the team he wanted to coach, you can't separate the roles. If he's a bad coach, he's also a bad GM. If he's a good GM, he's a good coach. It cannot be logically said that he assembled a great team but then didn't know how to lead them - the team was designed to be led by him.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ohagan Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:08 pm

Why are we motivated after we are down 7 2? My problem with Dips, as a coach, is we are rarely prepared at opening puck drop. Is that not part of the coaching staffs job to prepare the boys to play before the game?

Last edited by ohagan on Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

ohagan

Number of posts : 360
Seat Section : 119 standing room
Registration date : 2010-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayes#21 Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:25 pm

I agree, the coach is responsible for having his team ready at the drop of the puck in the first period. Whatever speech he gave the last two games....didn't work...he needs a new motivational speech tomorrow night!!!

Hayes#21

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:07 pm

So you prefer a team that starts strong instead of finishing strong. I see.

And a .750 winning percentage isn't good enough? Get serious, it's a 68-game season. Even contenders don't win them all and have bad games. They've won four out of six and the two losses are by a single goal, one of them with a great comeback.

Your standards are just too high, plain and simple. You're gonna have a stinker once in awhile - every team does. Through six, we've seen a couple of weak periods but still yet to see them play awful for a whole game. It's gonna happen at least three or four times because it happens to all teams. And I'll bet you'll be hear to complain about the coaching after every single one even if they're 38-5.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by gensrock Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:43 pm

WOW.......this topic really makes me think confused
over the last 2 years I for one was not sold on "dips" as the "the guy" to pick up this team & lead them. I only have this to say.......

CUT "DIPS" SOME FRIGGIN' SLACK....THE BOYS TOO EH.....
we have only played about 8% of our season and we lost 2 games ( which if some bounces went our way we would have one both games)

from what I see, both goalies are playing better than last year because "team" is playing better
I truely believe "dips" the GM has spent alot of time with "dips" the coach and they are on the same page.
this is his team
he built it
he'll let it grow
he'll baby it
he'll feed it
he'll make changes
he'll win
he'll lose

only time will tell

but maybe just maybe we should cut him some slack right now
we just came out of the"outhouse" and are on our way
gensrock
gensrock

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayes#21 Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:49 am

I don't think anyone is running Dips out as the coach. We all want a team that starts well and finishes well. A full 60 minutes. That is not a bad goal or a silly wish. And the coach is responsible to work on making that happen.

Most posters will agree that there will be good games and bad games and the gens won't win every game.

Hayes#21

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:45 am

You are right it may be the coaches job to be ready for the drop of the puck

But the Captain who only arrived on Friday will have the boys ready to rock tonight -

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Hayes#21 wrote:

Most posters will agree that there will be good games and bad games and the gens won't win every game.

To be honest, I'm not convinced. There are some here who seem to think that there's some magic coach out there that would have them go 68-0.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:00 pm

You are right Beats - all you want is an honest hard working effort every night - WIN SOME LOSE SOME - Improve on last yr

Some areas of improvement that I am happy to see

Team speed - team toughness - PK has improved

puck control comes from winning faceoffs - great job so far

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:58 am

Contract extension! cheers
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by Generalizations Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:53 pm

The decision DePiero made to bring along his assistant coaches from the Buzzers was disastrous to the team defence. That was evident for the last couple season. Now that Joe Cirella is in the picture instead, things are looking up and will only improve with time. The goalkeepers will come along with the maturing defenders. We also have alot of young forwards out there, gime them time as well. We have a much better group of core players this season than before.

Generalizations

Number of posts : 435
Seat Section : Section 120
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:03 pm

Agree 100% Generalizations.....well said

Gens_Fan_22

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down