Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this another January tailspin

5 posters

Go down

Is this another January tailspin Empty Is this another January tailspin

Post by Gens Camper Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:46 am

Well - our last 4 we have 3 in the loss column - 2 in a row

Up next Ottawa then Sudbury

Next weekend is no better - In Kitchener on Friday - back home to Kingston on Sat - then next afternoon vs London

Now to finish off January - we head out to Saginaw and Plymouth - that is our next 7 and will tell a lot about where we finish in the standings this year

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Is this another January tailspin Empty Re: Is this another January tailspin

Post by jaycro Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:22 am

This is not a powerhouse team. It's very fragile and does not have the veteran leadership and skilled forwards that several other teams have. In a "dogfight" our troops seem to lack the toughness and resiliancy that other teams have. I know, I know, look at the points they have accumulated but now they are harder to come by. This will tell us a lot about our coaching stafff!

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by the croc Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:41 pm

Just say what you truly mean, Jaycro. Both Baillie and Disalvo were hung out to dry last night. Team defence=good coaching.

the croc

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:50 pm

Here we go, losing three out of four and suddenly they have poor coaching. Laughing

Hilarious!

They have a .637 winning percentage. Last year, that would have won the division. This year, the bar is raised a little higher. I hope they can catch Ottawa but even if they fall a bit short and finish #4 in the conference - that's pretty good considering it's a team built for next year. And who knows, a #4 seed could win two playoff rounds. It wouldn't be that shocking if they did, they just have to get hot at the right time. Also, with Mississauga hosting the Memorial Cup, maybe their intensity level drops a place or two with their mind on the future games rather than the task at hand. It's happened before to Memorial Cup hosts.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:25 pm

Never said the Gens don't have good coaching...yet! I said, we'll see how the coaching handles the next three months where we're running into a slew of strong contenders and the points will be harder to come by. I think DePiero's status for next year will be determined over that period.

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:24 pm

Like I said the next 7 games are huge - we must end Jan with 5 - 2 and start tonight - BUT who is in net for this BIG game

Ottawa is ahead of us by 7 points - Niagara by 6 - now only up on Kingston by 5 points

Now BEATS - you think we can win 2 rounds - wishful thinking - first we finish # 4 or # 5 and play Kingston - lets say we did beat them - not by last nights game - But if we did we would then play Missy - if all other top seeds won - now that would be an upset to beat them 4 out of 7

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:36 pm

i see a slump brewing here as well , the thomas /berger.jenner line has been very mediocre for about a month now , thank goodness the "second line" which i think is really the "first line is carrying this team for quite awhile now , that being andreoff/jensen /lessio.
furthermore where is dehaan ??? not exactly burning up this league he supposedly too good for , to me dehaan should be back for another year of junior next year , hes just not that physical or energetic . just my observations

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:38 pm

correct me if i'm wrong , but my instincts tell me that thomas and jenner are not that buddy buddy !

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:05 am

Based on tonight's game, I take back my comments above ...for now. What a comeback , best one this year and maybe the best game in terms of excitement. I'll eat my words for now as the "kids" overcame the Martindale, Nesbitt, Lindsay experience and those latter two usually kill us. Well done boys!!

Last edited by jaycro on Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:33 am

jaycro wrote:Based on tonight's game, I take back my comments above ...for now. What a comeback , best one this year and maybe the best game in terms of excitement. I'll eat my words for now as the "kids" overcame the Martindale, Nesbitt Lindsay experience and those latter two usually kill us. Well done boys!!

This is exactly my disagreement with you and a few others on this board. It's not about tonight's game, it's not about last night's game. You keep switching your opinion on this team (and its coaching) based on one or two games. It's a great comeback but whatever you think of this team should not change based on one game. It's about their overall record and whether it looks like they can compete with the top teams over a 7-game series. In junior hockey, it's also about playing the cycle right and trying to time it right so that your team can be the best over a 7-game series against any of the contenders.

I'm happy they won but my opinion on this team does not change based on one game. I still think they will win one round and they might win two depending on whether they can get hot at the right time. I don't think they can win three this year unless they get some luck with some upsets but it is possible. It's more likely that they can win three or four rounds next season.

Even if the comeback fell short and the Gens lost 5-4, that's a good sign that they can compete with the best team in the division and it would be a fantastic playoff series should they end up playing against the 67s.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:43 am

^That's why I stated "Based on tonight's game". They showed resiliancy and overcame the Otawa leaders who are third and fourth year players. I suspect, long term they will not. I agree with you ,hockeybeats, that this team can win one round, depending on who they meet. I haven't changed my mind about that but it will be tough winning more than two games out of the next eight. This is the time of the year when teams start to separate themselves into challengers and bottomfeeders and there are disparities in the scores for the balance of the schedule. Still..well done Gens!

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:26 am

Well big come back for sure , they dug themselves a hole , but didn,t give up , once again the andreoff line came to the rescue , if this team can get some scoring from , Burger, Laughton and the like they will compete with Ottawa for top spot, hopefully avoid a long slump ......I don't know what's wrong with dehaan but he,s not our best defenseman so far and should be!
I missed the game unfortunately , was very surprised to see the score, atbthe end after being down 5to3 , big character win .

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:29 am

Sunday at home against sudbury a must win , win some tough road games coming up .......good job tonight gens ,!

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:51 am

This was a huge character building game - GREAT WIN - to build on

This was like 2 seperate games in 1 - When we killed that 4 min penalty to start the 3rd- not sure what happened but the blood started pumping and the GENS were putting the 67's on their heels

I thought the reffing was a little suspect at times but we did get a power play goal to win it

What was that 3 power play goals in the 3rd - need more of that

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down