Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gens vs Wolves

+8
jaycro
BOBBY ORR NUMBER4
Gens-southern-fanclub
Gens_Fan_22
steamed
gensfan4life3232
Gensfan_118
archer_gens
12 posters

Go down

Gens vs Wolves Empty Gens vs Wolves

Post by archer_gens Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:39 pm

The Wolves are playing fairly good hockey and while they sit 6th going into Saturday with 3 games in hand they will be looking to jump Barrie and the Petes and to close in on Niagara. The Majors will use there game in hand up Saturday night, so 2 loss's for them and a Gens win would allow us to move up into 8th.

Who would have thought at the start of the year I'd be excited by the prospect of moving up into 8th place.

Should be a great game from two teams that want it badly.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Gens vs Wolves Empty Re: Gens vs Wolves

Post by Gensfan_118 Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:23 pm

Should be a great game indeed. Looking forward to seeing if Melchiori's game on Friday night was a one time thing or if that's his normal play. That was the best performance I have seen from a Gens defenceman in ages. I don't remember seeing him lose a single battle all game. If he brings that game every night, that trade will go down with last year's Di Salvo trade as Dipiero's best IMO.

Gensfan_118

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post by gensfan4life3232 Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:34 pm

Let's Go Gens and this the gens final eeting thi saeaon against the wolves. to
gensfan4life3232
gensfan4life3232

Number of posts : 180
Seat Section : sec 114 row 6 seat 8
Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:16 am

Special teams were a big problem tonight. Several break aways during our power plays and 3 of the first 6 shots by the Wolves were on our powerplay. We can blame the refs all we want, but our power plays and penalty kills both looked the same to me, we looked short handed.

I thought we played one of our best games 5 on 5.

I also think that we may have made a mistake in trading for 3 d-men and leaving our goaltending as is. I think Bailie is a good Goalie this year, but not great, and not good enough to make a spectacular save several times a night and Altshuller is a rookie.

I love to see the effort out there and am already looking forward to Saturday and Sunday (I've cursed the double headers all year).

Anyword on Clark, I thought he would have been back tonight. Labardo should be another month?

Why now that we have some good defencemen is Thomas still playing the point on the PP? Petgrave was playing like a forward so 5 forwards and no D and way to many chances the other way. Should come together with a few more games hopefully.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by gensfan4life3232 Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:48 am

clark will be back next weekend i heard somone say yesterday
gensfan4life3232
gensfan4life3232

Number of posts : 180
Seat Section : sec 114 row 6 seat 8
Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:14 am

I don't know why Agnew keeps on playing Bailie as he can't make the big stops when needed and every shot is an adventure, he is not even a good back up in the O,for the Gen's to even have a chance to make the playoffs they have to be playing Altshuller all the time with spot duty to Bailie. Sorry Bailie fan's.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:36 am

According to Emersons father, he should be back in the line-up next weekend.
J.P Labardo has a stage two should separation and they are saying he will be out one month. Time will tell i f it will be longer.
For those posters that said the Gens should have traded Bailie; he has a no trade clause in his contract so that was not going to happen.

Gens_Fan_22

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens-southern-fanclub Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:32 am

I didn't think Bailie had a bad game at all I thought he was solid. He gives up one breakaway, one powerplay and one on just a horrible turnover by Maggio. That is a very good team. When you get your chance you need to put the puck in the net and we, at times, have trouble with that especially with the stronger teams.

Gens-southern-fanclub

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:52 am

But he dosn't make the big game saving save,even with Maggio horrible turnover Bailie should of made that save,you have your opinion and I have mine
oh well I can see this happing next season Kevin as an OA and Altshuller wanting out. Sad
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens-southern-fanclub Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:04 pm

I agree with you but I ask you this
How many BIG saves does he need to make in game to get you to be on his side.

How many big saves did he have last night to keep us in the game?
Just one he didn't and you are folding up the tent and going home
How many scoring chances does Maggio need to give up to be sat.
Obviously there is not a limit

Gens-southern-fanclub

Back to top Go down

Post by BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:09 pm

How about enough of Lessio and his "after whistle" antics . Either drop the gloves or shut the @#$%%^ up. Nice to see Agnew chew Lessio after the Ref chewed Agnew.

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4

Number of posts : 230
Seat Section : 105
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:20 pm

I tend to agree with steamed on this. To me, Bailie always appears hesitant and nervous. He makes the easy save and the odd 'biggie" but never seems to make the "Game saver". True, Maggio should not let a rookie with three goals strip him last night but that shot looked stoppable. Two other questions... what's with Thomas on the point; he looks terrible there and the predictable slapshot 'one-timer'? Wht's wrong with Jensen? He's practically invisible out there when he's not giving up breakaways to the other team. It was an overall good team effort last night, just beaten by superior goaltending...again. That's the Gennies 'achilles heel'!

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Gens-southern-fanclub wrote:I agree with you but I ask you this
How many BIG saves does he need to make in game to get you to be on his side.

How many big saves did he have last night to keep us in the game?
Just one he didn't and you are folding up the tent and going home
How many scoring chances does Maggio need to give up to be sat.
Obviously there is not a limit

Sudburys goalie(1st Star) made bigger saves than Bailie did, the 2 goals that Bailie let in should of been stop even with Maggio bad giveaway.I will NEVER be on his side, he had 2.5 years to prove it and hasn't provin that he can be a #1 (or even a back up)why do you think that the Gen's are always trading for a goalie, because they see it to.Well it is what it is, trading deadline is over.at least we will have Alshuller in net for fridays game. cheers
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens-southern-fanclub Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:51 pm

Not going to win many games scoring 2 goals and to keep saying the goalie on the other team made bigger saves come on. We score two goals in regulation in both games this weekend and everyone want to blame the goalie for the loss.
Come on where was Boone this weekend where was jensen, maybe they are under the weather I don't know but they were ghost out there this weekend. The only kid you see making plays out there is Laughton and thank God for him or we really be in a mess. You have to get dirty to score goals against these good teams and I'm sorry I don't see it except for Sabourin

Gens-southern-fanclub

Back to top Go down

Post by Lindy88 Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:00 pm

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 wrote:How about enough of Lessio and his "after whistle" antics . Either drop the gloves or shut the @#$%%^ up. Nice to see Agnew chew Lessio after the Ref chewed Agnew.

Ya, but why was Lessio on the ice for the next shift after being released from the penalty box after Sudbury scored during his "delay of game" penalty? Action would have been to bench him for a period or so. It, in my opinion, is the same reason Jenner speared during the WJC. It's the culture that the Generals coaching staff has bred here - selfish actions that hurt the team will not be met with stiff consequences.

I am seeing big improvement with this team and I love the trades DiPiero made. I said along he should remain as GM and a new coach brought in. I have a renewed excitement for this team that I haven't had in a while.

However, last night was a small step backwards.
Lindy88
Lindy88

Number of posts : 75
Seat Section : 104 row 13
Registration date : 2009-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:54 pm

I am seeing big improvement with this team and I love the trades DiPiero made. I said along he should remain as GM and a new coach brought in. I have a renewed excitement for this team that I haven't had in a while.

Remember that next year when the cupboards are bare and people are saying that he's a terrible GM.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:03 pm

Very true, We could potentially lose as many as 12 players from this year's team, if no 92s return (not likely!). If our top four 2012 draftees make it and maybe 2-3 2011s do as well there's still a shortfall. But we'll worry about that next September. Trading your youth is the price of doing business to make a run.

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:17 pm

I 100% understand however when Selwood emptied the cupboards I believe we were alot closer to winning then we are this year. People crucified Selwood, and next year I have a feeling we will be crucifying Dips.

Just calling it now.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by top gunner Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:18 pm

Our last 3 games were against some pretty tough competitors (Brampton 2X and Sudbury) 2 regulation time goals per game is not going to cut it on most teams on most nights. Lots of puck control and perimeter shooting, not enough going to the dirty areas (and lots of shots missing the net).

IMO the Sudbury game was not lost on the lack of "big saves" on our part, that game was lost because we made far more "big mistakes" than the Wolves. 3 clear cut breakaways in the first period, 2 which were stopped, along with a two on one with good one timer. Yes we outshot them badly, but they outchanced us. Without very good goaltending the game could have easily 3-0 Sudbury at the end of the first. Our one breakaway we unfortunately lost the handle and didn't even get a shot on goal. When we did convert a two on one with a shot on net we scored (Andreoff). Sudbury had a few more two on ones in the second and third that we also got big saves on, especially the one near the end of the game which gave us a chance to come back. 2 unassisted goals on a breakaway and a walk in after a strip (technically also a breakaway), along with a PP goal on a very good mid-slot shot just under the bar is not bad goaltending. Our goaltending was very good last night.

I am encouraged with what I see lately, mistakes get made, just too many big ones last night. I like what I see of Agnew, he is for the most part, line matching forwards and d on most shifts.

top gunner

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by JPH Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:16 pm

Altshuller helps the Gens put together their mosts impressive streak of the year, loses a game, and we go back to Bailie, who is able to win exactly one. More win and you're in crap.

The TV guys mentioned Bailies season stats against the wolves as well, and his GAA was 5.... FIVE. No way he should have been in net.

Games like last night make me truly wonder how we have, or had the 4th best PP in the OHL. We should start declining the penalties, and continuing 5 on 5 lol.

JPH

Number of posts : 172
Seat Section : Somewhere in Section 119
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Not to argue, but I can't believe that stat. I think our powerplay stinks! Lots of perimeter puck movement, seldom does anyone go to the net and the two mandatory cross-ice passes to Thomas who misfires or blasts it high and wide. It'a treat to watch when it works, about every 10th time! But, on the positive side, I see much improved team play, sharper passing and more puck sharing and we seem to clear our end more efficiently. Put Altshuller back in the nets, ...please!

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by chupa81 Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:29 pm

I agree Altshuller better be back in net, I don't understand why he wasn't last night. Wins 5 in a row and then sits??? Don't get why the coach decided this but oh well... He won't be around next year anyways.

chupa81

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2011-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by JPH Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:52 pm

chupa81 wrote:I agree Altshuller better be back in net, I don't understand why he wasn't last night. Wins 5 in a row and then sits??? Don't get why the coach decided this but oh well... He won't be around next year anyways.

Because the Generals way is "win and you are in" Which may be fine if you running a pee wee team, not so much if you want to win, and need to string wins together to get into postseason. If only there was a guy who could string wins together and give us a chance to win.....oh wait there is, he was working the bench door. I don't say Bailie lost last nights game, although the 3rd was a bit of a stinker. However, what does this do to the confidence of a guy like Altshuller. You want these guys to worry about giving up goals, and taking a loss, which will get them taken out of the net until the next guy screws up? No wonder our goalies never have any confidence.

They had no problem riding Di'Salvo night in night out. Play the goalie that gives you the best chance to win.

JPH

Number of posts : 172
Seat Section : Somewhere in Section 119
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by chupa81 Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:15 pm

They brought in Altshuller to be the started and did give up a lot for him... I would ride him all the way, He is the better of the two gaolies and won 5 in a row with a weaker team in front of him. before the deadline. I don't like this win and your in your right it's good for a PeeWee team or the Leafs, that's what they are doing..LOL

chupa81

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2011-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down