Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roster Taking Shape

+2
jaycro
archer_gens
6 posters

Go down

Roster Taking Shape  Empty Roster Taking Shape

Post by archer_gens Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:27 am

To start off the trade of Bo makes no sense to me. I didn't even see the guy we got at camp (anyone know anything on this). From there I think we have several options for backing up Altshuller. 3 at camp that could all do ok depending on the number of games you expect them to play, and the option of bringing in a Veteran guy that just wants a place to play a few last games.

So after 3 scrimmages Thursday and Friday the Generals cut 12 skaters.

Defence

Stephen Desrocher
Tyler Cooper
Ethan Adair
Kelly Summers
Brad Yowart

Forwards

Evan Bueller
Jacob Busch
Bradley Allen
Joe Manchurek
Jarrett Parker
Corey Caruse
Brett Seney

Of the 12 there were two I would have liked a second look at, Brett Seney and Kelly Summers. Summers made a few mistakes on Defence but I thought showed some promise and speed, maybe he didn't have enough bulk its hard to always see stuff like that. Brett Seney caught my eyes almost like a Jeff Hayes type player, seemed fast and able to move the puck, he was the only player I was confused to see cut. Maybe he wouldn't have made the team I'm not saying I'd have given him a spot, but I was definitely expecting him to stick around and even play an ex game or two.

Now my thoughts on some of the players left standing after the first round of cuts.

Goaltending

After two days of camp I would have gone with Washkurak as the backup, he made several impressive saves, and seemed to be able to see the puck and move quickly to address rebounds and cross crease pass's. After today though I think that Tugwell and Appleby have to be in the running still, I see all 3 being given another look this week before cutting 1 of them. I think carrying 3 for a few weeks will help to decide who will do the best job backing up and even challenging Altshuller if he struggles.

Defence

One assumes that Petgrave, Shemitsch, Sullentrop, Brown and Carlisle were all penciled in going into camp. So that leaves 2 spots open. While there was some talent out there I didn't see anyone that makes me think any of these guys will lose there spot. However Carlisle or Brown could easily be sitting in the crowd while some of the new guys get some playing time. No one in particular really stood out to me although I have never been a good judge of defencemen. I like offensive D-men and just yell at the Stay at home type players when they let someone get by them. Our vets were easily able to get around the rookie Defenders (ya obviously I know).

Offence

One assumes Lessio, Laughton, Biggs, Dal Colle, Cassels, Jenner, Uvira have spots. So that leaves 7 spots if you carry 14 forwards. Clark, Sabourin, Labardo will fight for the final OA spot so that leaves 6 spots. Unlike the defence I see some of last years talents not being guranteed a spot, Hughes and Urbanic both will need to impress to keep there spots, not saying they are in danger of losing there spots, but neither were so bright last year (at least in my mind) that if a younger player with the same talents showed up at camp that they would keep there spot. I'm a fan of going younger and not keeping older players on the 3rd and 4th lines if they don't have a specific role.

OA battle, I believe strongly that Thomas won't be back, if he comes back obviously he is the third OA hands down. I wouldn't bring Sabourin back, period. I think he steals a 3rd or 4th line spot from a rookie and won't play that much better. I think most people prefer Labardo hands down, and I think he is more talented then Clark, however Clark brings 3 things to the table that I think should make him a consideration for the last OA spot. 1) Fan Favorite, if we end up sitting low in the standings and have a fire sale, Clark is the type of player that can get the crowd cheering and I personally would pay to see a team with him on it over JP. 2)Don't see him as a fighter but a body guard for our rookies, time and time again I have seen him jump in for a team mate whether he likes that player or not. He is extremely over protective and not afraid to take a fight for a team mate. Whether on the ice or the lacrosse floor games are very different when he is sitting in the stand vs when he is playing (it's all about the fear factor). 3) Given more ice time Clark plays well, if they give him a few more minutes and two rookies on either side to play with him I see him doubling his production. I would only keep JP if you can find a spot on the top two lines for him and believe he is going to be able to take over the scoring that Jensen or Andreoff would have provided.

I really want to see more of Llyod, Burns, and Hore. I'm pretty sure Llyod will make the team, and the other two could be in the running.

Biggs really didn't impress me, that being said Lessio was really the only vet that did. Most of the Vets were two busy taking swings at each other or stupid penaltys and the little voice in my head is screaming that they aren't taking this seriously and that there is still players in the locker room not willing to die for one another.

I'm unsure if the Gens made a second round of cuts, I assumed that they would after the Red vs White games, that being said it sounds like the roster is already set for Mondays game, so either cuts were already made or are not coming until after exhibition games have gotten underway.

Hard to predict this early a final roster and this is more of a wish list of who I enjoyed watching the most, rather then who would be the best fit for the team.

Jenner, Lessio Trade
Laughton Biggs Uvira
Cassels Llyod Dal Colle
Hore Clark Urbanic

Latour Burns

Petgrave Sullentrop
Schemitsch Carlisle
Brown Petschenig

Altshuller
Washkurak

If anyone has a second list of cuts, or a roster for Monday I'd like to see it. I do know that the roster exhists.

archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Roster Taking Shape  Empty Re: Roster Taking Shape

Post by jaycro Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:28 am

Observations on the above. I also wondered why the Gens traded Bessette and they didn't add the new guy, Mike Gallardi. Appleby didn't impress me except for a brief period when the white team had an extended power play in the last scrimmage. He didn't look good on the long shot that went in when he ducked and it went in over his shoulder. Washkurak and Tugwell are very small. Can't see either making it. Bessette would have been better! I agree with you on Biggs...not all that impressive. Lessio can dangle but doesn't like to share the puck. I agree, also with cutting some vets and keeping younger guys like Hore and Burns. Where did the Brubacher boys come from...brothers?...twins? One of them (Adam, I think) looked ok. Petschenig should make it on defence...looks "steady"! In had hoped Seney would get a longer look because he had a great scoring year with London last year...maybe next year? Also, Summers should make it next year as well.

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by mcintyre Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:17 pm

I caught the two Red White games Saturday. Here's my two cents:

Petchsenig is a lock for one of those D spots. Kid has good composure...good pace on his passes and is good with 1-1 battles down low.

Two walk ons looked pretty good to me. Jared Dennis and Jimmy Cusan (sp)?. Both had good skill level and looked like offensive minded guys who could develop. Mcdade the 16 year old is not ready...he needs a year in Jr. A to get up to speed.

Urbanic showed a ton of jump....will be a great PK and energy guy moving forward.

Lloyd looked good...has some offensive upside that may help out this year

I wont comment on the core group of vets but to say one thing...tell Lessio to stay home for training camp for now on...he's a one man gong show out there trying to play keep away.

I think the final OA spot will go to Sabourin.

Hughes may be in trouble to keep his job this year.

Finally, I heard Uvira may be lost up to 3 weeks with a thigh injury?

mcintyre

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2012-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by newgensfan85 Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:51 pm

I honestly think sabourin is a waste of an OA spot I think it should and will be given to either Clark or labardo no offense to sabourin or anything just don't think he looked good at camp he is 4th line at most 3rd line player and doesn't stay consistent enough

newgensfan85

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:10 pm

Uvira is injured not sure on the length. Anyword on how Schemetsch is after losing a tooth/teeth?
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:53 am

newgensfan85 wrote:I honestly think sabourin is a waste of an OA spot I think it should and will be given to either Clark or labardo no offense to sabourin or anything just don't think he looked good at camp he is 4th line at most 3rd line player and doesn't stay consistent enough

I don't know what games you have been watching and yes you have your opinion but Sabourin has way more offence and hockey skills and is much bigger than Clarke. Clarke is also a 4th liner and spot duty, as for Labardo it's going to come dowm to Labardo & Sabourin,but if you read in the paper a couple of weeks ago Twohey is trying to trade labardo prior to the season, and said he would have to compete with Clark & Sabourin for the final OA spot.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:36 am

Ken Appleby has already been told he will be Daniel Altshuller's backup this season.
Owen Sounds Dale DeGray still has his eye on JP Labardo. He has for the past couple of seasons but the Gens wanted too much for him. I still say he will be traded.
For our third OA, I think Sabourin will get it. I like Clarke but Sabourin has the ability to skate much faster and be in the play.

Gens_Fan_22

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:37 am

Uvira is suffering from a charley horse and is day to day. This is one tough kid and I am sure he will be in the lineup sooner than later.

Gens_Fan_22

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down