Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

another trade

+10
mygens
nerfherder
Generals2010
StingRay5
OshawaGenerals3
jaycro
Macker88
core33
oshgens2k2
steamed
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

another trade Empty another trade

Post by steamed Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:49 pm

Josh Sterk has been traded to the London Knights don't know who for but I assume for draft pick(s)
Numbers, or he wanted out I go with the later He just didn't seem like he wanted to be here.

May guess the player coming back is OA Defenseman  Dakota Mermis or forward Michael McCarron but I can't see the later happening

Pu could be involved now London wanted Van Sompel originaly

Last edited by steamed on Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

another trade Empty Re: another trade

Post by oshgens2k2 Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:12 pm

Why would you say he didn't want to be here??? He's on the best team in the country. Every time I saw josh before games and in warm ups he was very engaged with his coach and teammates . London is still a playoff team so they needed someone back on one of their top two lines. Unfortunately it cost sterk. I think pu is involved too as today is first day he can be moved.

oshgens2k2

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:14 pm

oshgens2k2 wrote:Why would you say he didn't want to be here??? He's on the best team in the country. Every time I saw josh before games and in warm ups he was very engaged with his coach and teammates . London is still a playoff team so they needed someone back on one of their top two lines. Unfortunately it cost sterk. I think pu is involved too as today is first day he can be moved.

Just the way he was playing as of late this is my opinion, I like Sterky
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:24 pm

Really?? Sterk has been a solid member of one of our top two lines. London needed a decent player back in any trade as they are still a competitive playoff team. I will miss sterk too and hope chemistry isn't affected.

oshgens2k2

Back to top Go down

Post by core33 Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:39 pm

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. He is a good center and will probably be back for an OA year, u trade him next year when you want some picks back. I realize we have a lot of centers but he is one of the better ones.

Maybe a bigger plan is in place for a better center. I guess we will have to see the return to see why he was traded.

core33

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:49 pm

Do I get any credit for giving you all the information last week that McCarron and Mermis where on the Generals radar lol.

This deal was almost done on Sunday afternoon, but it hit a snag when London asked for Vande Sompel.

The trade solidifies the Generals backed and forward core, I love Josh Sterk, but with the big bodies of Pedersen and McCarron on the wings this Generals team will be really hard to beat, as if they weren't already. Will post full write up within the hour.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by core33 Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:00 pm

Jan. 1 LDN Michael McCarron to

OSH Cliff Pu 3rd Rnd 2015 Erie2nd Rnd '16

Jan. 1 LDN Dakota Mermis to

OSH Josh Sterk
2nd Rnd '19 (cond.)

wow that's a lot to give up for a rental again, our 1st rounder and 2nd and a 3rd. why isn't Oshawa getting like 4ths or 5ths back with these trades?

core33

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:07 pm

Not sure I like this. Mermis is on the smaller side and I am not sure what he brings. Sterk is replaceable but Pu was just coming along recently. The Gens have to trade some bodies next year as they have virtually no 2nds or 3rds until 2020! Might be a sad team to watch after this year unless they can re-coup some picks. Hunt has some gonnies for the deals he has done!

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:47 pm

Here's the trade article,
http://imaginesportsmedia.com/?p=3170

Alex Fotinos may be the newest Oshawa General by tonight

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:03 pm

Other than an injury protection, I'm not sure why we want Fotinos. Acknowledging he is on a weaker team. he is the 23rd ranked goalie statistically. Other than that, backup goalies don't usually play much in the playoffs. No higher draft picks left so it would have to be a 4th or lower or a younger player. I like the younger guys we have ! Hate to lose them!

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by OshawaGenerals3 Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:12 pm

jaycro wrote:Other than an injury protection, I'm not sure why we want Fotinos. Acknowledging he is on a weaker team. he is the 23rd ranked goalie statistically. Other than that, backup goalies don't usually play much in the playoffs. No  higher draft picks left  so it would have to be a 4th or lower or a younger player. I like the younger guys we have ! Hate to lose them!

because the Gens have traded away all their picks coming up in order to win this year. If Appleby gets hurt or something then you could end up losing because you have a rookie in net. If you're going to go all in, you need to protect yourself from 1 injury not being able to ruin your playoff run. Fotinos is the only starting goalie in the OHL that you could get for only a middle round draft pick

OshawaGenerals3

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-12-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:51 pm

OshawaGenerals3, you hit the nail in the head with that comment.
The Generals have gone all in this year, but with one injury to Ken Appleby the season could go down the drain real quick. Fotinos has never taken off per say, but he is a solid goaltender that could thrive with the Generals. At the very least he's much needed insurance.

Look at Barrie's record with and without Mackenzie Blackwood it speaks volumes. Having some insurance is a good thing for the Gens, people are are worried about all these picks going out the door. You have to realize Dal Colle will likely be back an sold of next year, Appleby likely returns as an O/A but what use does a rebuilding team have with an elite goalie, he'll be traded for assets. Smith, Latour, Pedersen, Turner, Petschenig and Hertzberg are the other 95's. Latour, Petschenig both will be back 100% and could bring top 100 picks. Smith could return, the Flames prospect pool is deep and he has more room to develop at the OHL level. Turner holds little value in a trade but will return, Pedersen plays a pro style of game already so he'll likely crack the AHL and Hertzberg being an O/A and import will likely be gone

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:58 pm

Potential Lineup Moving Forward

Dal Colle - Cirelli - McCarron
Smith - Cassels - Latour
Pedersen - Harding - Lindberg
Turner - Wallace - Manchuerk/Huether

Vande Sompel - Brown
Petschenig - Mermis
Carlisle - Desrocher
Hertzberg - Templeton

Appleby
Brodeur

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:00 pm

Hey Macker, any update on the possible Fotinos trade?

Ok, so who is happy this morning and who is worried about the future? Did Hunt provide D J enough tools to get the job done this year?

I am a little of both but realize we can sell hard next year to restock the cupboards for the future. My thoughts are that the Gens should be able to go all the way to the Mem cup. Other than a reliable back up the team is pretty complete.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Number of posts : 265
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:12 pm

Still think we could use a big, experienced defenceman...some muscle and we have "spare parts" (younger players) on the roster that would get that.

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:28 pm

Trading deadline is not till Jan 9th so there maybe more to come. I can see the Gen's are taking a run a it so go all in and worry about the future @ the end of the season which I hope is a long one and with the last 2 trades this looks very promising Very Happy
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:43 pm

I'm overall pretty happy with the additions.
Adding McCarron gives us a legitimate top 6 winger, with 30/30 potential. He's a strong net front presence, strong in the corners and along the boards, low maintenance guy. Like the addition of size on the wings.

Pedersen is a unheralded player, does all the little things to help a team win. Gritty but talented, he may not contribute as potently as some may hope, but he can contribute offensively. He'll be integral during the playoff run, he has versatility as he can play any where in the lineup, on the PP or PK.

Mermis, a veteran two-way defenseman, may not be the hulking physical presence we where hoping for, however he's an adequate two-way defender, that is reliable in his own zone. Brings tons of playoff an Memorial Cup experience. A real calming presence, I like the addition.

IMO, the Generals could certainly use some protection in goal, going so hard after these additions and giving up so much, if Appleby is to get injured it would be devastating.

I know many of you want to see a big physical defender, however I don't think many available options are much of an upgrade, unless we want to over pay heavily. Corbertt and Curcuruto are O/A's so they're out of the question, unless you want to flip Carlisle + for one of them. Mitch Jones from Plymouth, I would argue is not an upgrade over a Hertzberg. I've seen Denmark play live every game at the WJC an he has handled other teams top lines extremely well, been the best Danish defender all tournament, and I think he comes back and shows added confidence.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:52 pm

Was really impressed with the size of the Battalion when they visited The Gens last week. Now they add Moutrey at 6'3" and 220 or more and Kujawinski at 6'2" and 210 or so. Did they trump the Gennies moves? Opine please.

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by Generals2010 Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:12 pm

North Bay currently only have 1 goalie so Stan Butler isn't finished dealing yet. Saginaw now have 3 goalies including OA Jake Paterson. North Bay always play us competitive but even with these deals i say the Gennies are still the better team Smile GO GENS!!!
Generals2010
Generals2010

Number of posts : 70
Seat Section : 119
Registration date : 2010-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:34 pm

I would want anyone of the players that are traded as of now and some of the ones that are going to happen but that's not going to happen, so did the Gen's make the right trades (so far) time will tell but I do think they did. Do I think there done no but what I don't know Very Happy
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:49 pm

jaycro wrote:Was really impressed with the size of the Battalion when they visited The Gens last week. Now they add Moutrey at 6'3" and 220 or more and Kujawinski at 6'2" and 210 or so. Did they trump the Gennies moves? Opine please.

I wouldn't say they trumped the Gens moves. I would say they are just trying to stay up with the arms race. NB is looking to keep up with the Gens moves.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Number of posts : 265
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:03 pm

I think the Gens got the better team players in Pederson and McCarron but the Battalion got a little more scoring potential . From what I have read on various threads this year, Moutrey is a little selfish and disappears at times and the latter trait can be applied to Kujo as well. Both combos are superior to what Erie just picked up as well...in my opinion!

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by Generals2010 Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:19 pm

As jaycro just said Erie have acquired Remi Elie and Jake Marchment from Belleville
Generals2010
Generals2010

Number of posts : 70
Seat Section : 119
Registration date : 2010-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:27 pm

I believe the Erie Otters have made the best move recently, acquiring Elie and Marchment addresses two needs for the Otters.

From what I'm hearing Jake Paterson is either going to be a Soo Greyhound an Erie Otter or believe it or not a London Knight.

Nick Ritchie will be a Soo Greyhound at the conclusion of tonight's Gold Medal game. Expect David Miller, Charley Graaskamp and Anthony Salinitri going back the other way. Possibly more to the deal including Anthony Stefano heading to the Soo as part of the deal and a pick or two being involved.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:32 pm

Why hasn't jake Patterson played much this year. It seems the two Russians have played more than him.

oshgens2k2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next