Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trade Ideas

+13
opinionated
chupa81
core33
steamed
oshgens2k2
archer_gens
Gens Camper
mygens
StingRay5
Macker88
jaycro
WILLSPEN1966
KHE
17 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Trade Ideas Empty Trade Ideas

Post by KHE Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:48 pm

I'm one that is for adding a couple pieces to this current Gens team to make a run at an Eastern Conference Title and potentially an OHL title. The Gens have 2 OA's on the roster currently, Brian Hughes and Colin Sullentrop. If I was the GM I'd be looking at Eric Locke and Justin Sefton from Saginaw as OA's with Brian Hughes as the odd man out. Sefton brings 36 career playoff games including a run last year with London and Eric Locke is a top 6 forward.. probably top 3. Sefton was originally traded to Saginaw for a 3rd and a 6th Rounder in 2014. Locke is a guy that had a big year last year scoring 44 goals on a good Saginaw team. This type of move wouldn't be that expensive as both players are OA's however both players would be impact players for Oshawa. I really thought Oshawa would have been in on Cameron Brace from Owen Sound (and maybe they were). I just don't see Brace ending the year in Belleville. I think they'll flip him.

KHE

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Trade Ideas Empty Re: Trade Ideas

Post by WILLSPEN1966 Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:49 pm

Sullentrop is the only OA worth keeping.. They can easily upgrade from Hughes. I'd like to see them get a real good puck moving defenceman, and a top 6 forward as well. A decent back up for Altshuller would also be nice
WILLSPEN1966
WILLSPEN1966

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:30 pm

What's wrong with Appleby? He's probably as good a backup as there is in the league and perhaps better than a few starters on other teams. Just my opinion.

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:34 pm

KHE... have not followed Sefton in Saginaw but he was a disappointment in Sudbury and  in Windsor when they picked him up which is why they traded him. Has he improved?

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by WILLSPEN1966 Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:47 pm

jaycro wrote:What's wrong with Appleby? He's probably as good a backup as there is in the league and perhaps better than a few starters on other teams. Just my opinion.
Ken Appleby may be a ok spot starter. But Altahuller is going to need a competent back up heading in 2014. He's played a lot the last 2 seasons and if he gets hurt, Ken Appleby won't be the the guy to get it done
WILLSPEN1966
WILLSPEN1966

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:53 pm

That's what back-ups are,...spot starters. I think Gens management see him as their starter next year if Altshuller isn't returned.

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:53 pm

My opinion is, we need to add two defensemen, one real solid top 4 guy, who can play some PP and PK. And a depth defensemen, like a 5/6/7 guy, its important to have depth an veterans come playoffs, and seeing the Gens using 16 year old rookies on the back end for a few games this season was a scary thought. I'd also like two add a cheaper top 6 guy and maybe a 4th year role guy to play in the bottom 6. I like the idea of Locke and Sefton, that's a solid idea.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:56 pm

jaycro wrote:KHE... have not followed Sefton in Saginaw but he was a disappointment in Sudbury and  in Windsor when they picked him up which is why they traded him. Has he improved?
I think he was a disappointment in Sudbury due to the fact that he was their first round draft pick in 2009. I'm not going to lie I thought Oshawa should have drafted him over Jenner at the time. Thankfully I don't draft as that wouldn't have worked out well.. lol. He's not the puck moving defenceman that would be out on the PP, he's more of a shut down type of player. He's a reliable Dman that just going to be steady.. he won't blow you away and put up massive numbers like a Koekkoek will. But I think he'd be a good addition with playoff experience that won't cost a lot.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see a massive deal with Windsor with Koekkoek and Rychel coming here.. but I just don't see that happening.

This question was posed last year regarding Dal Colle. Any big trade, such as one with Windsor for Koekkoek and Rychel will cost Mitchell Vande Sompel and others. Do you make that trade? The answer last year (thankfully) was no. I think Oshawa really misses Mitchell on the PP.

Just some thoughts to get some discussion going.

KHE

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:49 pm

I think if you can add Kerby Rychel for Vande Sompel you absolutely do it. Vande Sompel is okay offensively, but terrible in his own end. People compare him to Ryan Ellis, but Ellis was far more physical and a lot better in his own end.

A guy I wouldn't trade is Sam Harding, I'd hang on to him over Vande Sompel.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:55 pm

Macker88 wrote:I think if you can add Kerby Rychel for Vande Sompel you absolutely do it. Vande Sompel is okay offensively, but terrible in his own end. People compare him to Ryan Ellis, but Ellis was far more physical and a lot better in his own end.

A guy I wouldn't trade is Sam Harding, I'd hang on to him over Vande Sompel.
I completely agree with regards to Harding, he's a keeper. I probably would move Vande Sompel... although I'm casting the kid off already when he really hasn't played a whole lot due to being down on the depth chart and being injured. I'd expect Oshawa to make a move sooner rather than later. With Kingston making some moves as of late to better their club I wouldn't be surprised to see Oshawa make some of their moves as well.

KHE

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:29 pm

I don't know about that. Vande Sompel is a very good skater and is very calm and cool with the puck. This kid has ALOT of talent.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Number of posts : 265
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:59 pm

I agree, know doubting Vande Sompel is a very skilled skater and is very calm with the puck for a 16 year old. But he's a defensemen, and his defensive skills are horrible. As are all the key skills a defensemen needs, ie.. shot blocking, body contact. I hate talking down on this kid because he hasn't played much. But from what I've see, what I've mentioned is what he's all about.

I wouldn't trade this kid for a lower tier player, but a guy like Kerby Rychel, Ryan Hartman, Radek Faksa or Brendan Gaunce, I'd absolutely do it.

My untouchables on this Generals squad would be, Cassels, Sterk, Laughton, Manchurek, Dal Colle & Harding up front. Brown, Suellentrop, and Altshuller on the back end. I'd also be very weary of moving Ken Appleby as I think he could be a good starter next season.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:57 pm

Gens need to pick up a tough winger to replace Dundas

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:59 pm

Brenden Bell , would be a good addition , need someone like him to protect our top guys , don't want Laughton fighting , even though we know he can

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:03 pm

I so agree that we need a tough winger to stand up for the team. Especially for the smaller guys like Wallace and Latour.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Number of posts : 265
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:20 pm

You do not move Mitchell Vande Sompel a 16 yr old for a rental - we are not guaranteed to win more than 1 round maybe 2 - so you don't mortgage the future

Next year we lose Sullentroop / maybe Josh Brown / Carlise who knows then you want to dump another defence - are you related to a former G M who traded a 16 yr old who ended up on 3 Memorial Cup and close to 250 OHL points

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:23 pm

I don't mean to sound rude here, but no playoff team is guaranteed to win anything when the playoffs start. That's one of the main reason's teams in contention make the tough deals to upgrade there team, to better position themselves to win playoff rounds.

I agree it's tough to move a 16 year old, 1st round pick. But with that being said, if the Generals did move Vande Sompel, I think their defense situation is actually a lot better then you'd think.
Brown will likely be back, Florida is deep with defense prospects, they already have prospects rated higher then Brown, finding themselves as healthy scratches in favour of veteran defensemen. Given with Brown they have the option to send him back to Junior, I'm sure they'd prefer having him play then sitting and watching at the AHL level.
I don't know why you've mentioned Carlisle, as he will be an OA yes, but only him Brown and Dundas are born in 94 (minus Alltshuller and Laughton who are guaranteed to be gone). Carlisle is undrafted an un-signed at the NHL level. He is a solid OHL defensemen, but without a huge improvement he's not ready for the AHL.
Our projected D-Core next season would be...
Brown - Carlisle
Petschening - Kuronen
Desrocher - Robertson

I'd just like top point out, we've actually used a similar D-Core at times this season and have done fine. Is it ideal, no. But given the fact if we traded Vande Sompel we'd be suggesting we are going for it this year and committed to rebuilding next year, a young defense core in 2014-15 isn't a huge deal. Plus you'd have to think the Generals would use either their import pick or 1st round pick on a defensemen next season if this is the top 6 going forward.
Throw in the likes of Stephen Templeton who's playing in the OJAHL for Milton, Tyler Cooper a 6'5 205lb defensemen playing with the Mississauga Chargers and Rhodes Dolan who is currently playing for the Waterloo Blackhawks of the USHL. The Generals would be fine on the back end if the moved Vande Sompel.

People like to compare Vande Sompel to Ryan Ellis, which is outrageous. They only comparison that's there is there size and skating ability. Vande Sompel is soft, Ellis for his size was as physical as a 6'3 220 pound defensemen. Ellis had 93 points coming out of Minor Midget, Vande Sompel had 32. Ellis scored 63 points and was a plus 30 his first OHL season, Vande Sompel is on pace for 18 points and a minus 24 ( and that's if he was to play the full schedule which we know he wont do to injury). I know you personally didn't suggest that Ellis and Vande Sompel are the same, but I've heard it thrown out there, an I want people to realize this is not the case at all.

If we could get a Ryan Hartman or Kerby Rychel for Vande Sompel you do it instantly. That move alone makes the Gens the favourite in the East, if they weren't already. The Gens D has been fine without Mitchell during his time out due to injury and I think they'd be fine if he was moved

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:36 pm

The more trades that go down, the more likely the Gens are gonna be sellers.

Everyone is stocking up, it looks to me like the reason the Gens aren't making moves is because they are going to sell.

Lots of rumours that they want to host in 2017. We have a much better chance of that if we dump players.

Just reading between the lines, but with big names being moved so early, and the Generals doing nothing, it seems to me that this is more and more likely the case.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:45 pm

I'd have to agree with you, the longer the Generals stand pat the more an more it makes me feel like they're going to be sellers. I feel like the GM is just waiting for this top end play to drop off an the Gens to fall back to mediocrity, so it makes selling that much easier to defend. He's probably not adding now because he feels once Laughton leaves for the World Juniors the team will fall off, without him.

I to have heard the Generals want to host in 2016-2017, but I think selling next year would be just as beneficial. Dal Colle will likely have been drafted in the 1st round #3 to 10th overall. An next season will likely been that last in the OHL so trading him for a ransom makes sense. Cole Cassels will bring a sizeable return as well, especially if he continues to improve. Josh Brown likely will be returned next season, an will bring a big return as well.

I really think we can go for it this year, sell off next year and still be in position to make a good run in 2017

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:12 am

Dal Colle will make the NHL next year if he's drafted by a team like Calgary.

Dal Colle is constantly improving, and if the Gens sell this year, I would be selling him as well.

Look at Ottawa, nothing is guranteed.

Dal Colle will go top 5 in the draft.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:30 am

The top 10 Picks in the NHL right now are currently (in order) Buffalo, Edmonton, Florida, NY Islanders, Columbus, Calgary, Anaheim, Philadelphia, Carolina & NJ. I personally think with exception of Carolina, if Dal
Colle is drafted by any of them he'll be back in Oshawa. Buffalo's prospect pool is really deep, especially at Center. Edmonton won't take another forward. Florida sent Huberdeau back.. Need I say more. Anaheim is another team deep up the middle. Philadelphia has sent Laughton back two years in a row an Laughton is a lot further along then Dal Colle. New York sent back Strome an recently Reinhart, Strome is still in the AHL. The islanders have been taking the slow approach with prospects lately. Columbus is another team rich is offensive prospects, an have been patient with prospects. Carolina has Elias Lindholm and Victor Rask who are top prospect Centers who are currently in the AHL, they're definitely further along then Dal Colle, but Carolina has been keeping there first round picks in the NHL as of late. Calgary, keeping Monahan was mainly due to there lack of depth combined with his amazingly hot start. Next season there Center ice depth will be strengthed and I don't see Dal Colle replicating Monahans start, as that was out of this world. Carolina is the wild card though. But if I'm betting I take the 1 in 10 shot in keeping Dal Colle going into next season.
Also Monahan did play an extra season in the OHL due to his late birthday, that most definitely helped his development an his ability to jump to the NHL out of junior.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:50 am

Sorry but Ottawa will host the next mem cup in new arena. Book it so forget about planing for then. Take your run this year and make trades next year for picks .

oshgens2k2

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:57 am

OHLInsiders says:
Oshawa, Barrie & Windsor among contenders with open import spots. Faksa & Goldobin top the list of imports available.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:09 pm

Faksa in my opinion would be more ideal for the Generals, as he can play centre or wing and is a more complete player. I think DJ Smith would definitely get more use out of Faksa.

I have a feeling that Windsor is probably going to get their import pick Jacob de la Rose (2nd round pick of the Montreal Canadiens in '13) to commit to the Spitfires for the remainder of the season, after the World Juniors. I've just heard some rumours lately, although they could be completely false.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:14 pm

In other news the Peterborough Petes have released import pick Matej Paulovic. Paulovic is a 6'3 187lbs Left Winger, who was selected by the Dallas Stars in the 5th Round 149th overall in the 2013 NHL draft. Through 18 games with the Petes this season Paulovic had 2 goals and 2 assists for 4 points.

I really think the Generals should pick this kid up. He might not be an elite import, but he would fit in nicely on the Generals 2nd or 3rd line. I think DJ Smith could really make this kid a player.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next