Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Generals Draft Pick - Joseph Cecconi

+2
steamed
Macker88
6 posters

Go down

Generals Draft Pick - Joseph Cecconi Empty Generals Draft Pick - Joseph Cecconi

Post by Macker88 Thu May 01, 2014 3:11 pm

Joseph Cecconi has committed to the University of Michigan.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Generals Draft Pick - Joseph Cecconi Empty Re: Generals Draft Pick - Joseph Cecconi

Post by steamed Thu May 01, 2014 3:20 pm

So there is now 2 that at are going ncaa route Luke Keenan and Joesph Cecconi
but if we were London Knights they more than likely would be showing up Laughing 
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Generals Draft Pick - Joseph Cecconi Empty Re: Generals Draft Pick - Joseph Cecconi

Post by Macker88 Thu May 01, 2014 5:40 pm

A little more info on Cecconi, he's committed to Michigan for the 2016-2017 season. So things can change, but its doubtful.

I like the Generals taking risks on these American kids, and Canadians who are leaning towards the NCAA. But with just 4 picks in the top 100 two of which where in the high 90's, I think you need to take guys who are willing to come to the OHL. The Cecconi pick I don't mind , I mean he went 8th round, 143rd overall, that's usually when teams start taking risks on Americans. But the Keenan pick, he was our third player selected and he's not coming.

As far as Keenan goes, I have a feeling he may end up in Oshawa. I think he's gonna end up weighing how far lacrosse will take him in comparison to how far hockey may take him. The again he's committed to Princeton so a Princeton education will take you a long way as well.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Fri May 02, 2014 4:27 pm

Keenan is from a Lacrosse Family, and should go first in the draft. I don't see him coming to Oshawa unless he decides that he will play lacrosse at an ontario university after highschool. You can see him play for the warriors this summer perhaps, he is an AP but not there property as he heasnt been drafted yet.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Fri May 02, 2014 4:49 pm

Yes I know, Derek Keenan is his uncle, Ryan Keenan of the Whitby Warriors is his cousin. He'll end up with the Whitby Warriors regardless of where he's drafted. The Ontario Jr. A draft is the biggest joke in sports. Where he gets drafted is irrelevant as far the OLA draft goes.

My thing with Keenan is, if he decides he can make a living through hockey, he may forgo his scholarship. Its not likely since he is after all going to Princeton. But even if he ends up going 1st overall in the NLL draft, very few NLL players make a living playing just in the NLL. And even those guys have jobs as spokesmen for under armour or nike or lacrosse companies. Hockey is obviously the more lucrative sport of the two and if he has a chance to go pro as a hockey player, it wouldn't shock me to see him in Oshawa.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Fri May 02, 2014 5:35 pm

It' a little scary that the Gens don't get commitments from these players before selecting them. We can't afford to lose any top 4 selections when we don't have any 2nds for the next three years. I was  a strong proponent for trading our top talent in January and the playoffs , more or less, went the way I feared. The Gens will have to move two or three of their big guns for players and 2nds next January. Things are beginning to look sparse for the next three years. It would be a nice change if some players we drafted one or two years ago showed up this year. Can't think of any flyers the last six years that have actually showed up and we are still paying for Lessio! It's a little discouraging right now. Help me out Macker88. PS I read in another chat line that rated the results of this last DRAFT had the Gens dead last!

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Fri May 02, 2014 6:42 pm

I agree completely ! It's extremely discouraging to see players selected within the top 100 picks that have not made a commitment to the OHL, especially in the Generals case where we didn't have a 2nd or 3rd round pick this draft. Teams that generally take flyers on guys that early are teams with several 2nd & 3rd round picks.

As far as selling off this year, I'm glad we didn't. It ultimately didn't work out in our favor, but I think it was the right move, as next season we still have several trade-able assets if the season isn't going in the right direction. I do agree that after next season things are looking sparse going forward. We will really need to hit on Import Picks, find hidden free agent gems or get a few steals in trades. 2014-2015 we look pretty good, but 2015-2016 despite being a couple years away, the projected roster isn't looking to favorable.

As for how many flyers have shown up in the last six years..
In '09 Jimmy McDowell was committed to Michigan State University and he ended up showing up.
Also in '09 Tyler Biggs was committed to Miami-Ohio University, he ended up coming in 12-13.
In '10 Chris Carlisle was headed to the NCAA and ended up coming to Oshawa.

So that's 4 since 2009, not a very good rate. And lets keep in mind we only got one year out of Tyler Biggs who was a 2nd round pick in 2009.

As far as who had the best and worst drafts this season, I'd say Belleville had the best draft, from my perspective they have 10 guys that could be in the OHL in the next 2 seasons. Peterborough had a really good draft as well. Owen Sound's 1st and 2nd round pick are saying they're going to the NCAA, and despite that they still had a really good draft. Kitchener got good value with all their picks. London will have killed this draft if they get their Americans to come to the OHL. Saginaw had less picks then the Generals and got far better value. Barrie got 4 or 5 players that will for sure be in the OHL within a year or two. Mississauga improved there team and got value late.

The worst draft in my opinion was Ottawa, Barron will be a great player, in the Scott Laughton mold, but they took 2 goals with really early picks, when they had just given up a 2nd for Liam Herbst and there is still hope Blacker is coming to Ottawa. An they trade for Connor Hughes. There is 1 net, all these goalies cant contribute.
Erie got a great 1st round pick late, and a pretty solid goalie in Lawr, but other then that it was a failure in my eyes. But that's okay because they have had great drafts the last 2 years. Plymouth, I think only Bitten will have an impact, St. Onge has a chance to be good. If Greenaway shows up they can consider the draft a success. Sudbury took a 2nd round talent in the 1st round, although he has good upside.

I think Oshawa had probably the 5th worst draft in the OHL. Pu and Stillman can contribute, Senecal and Commisso have potential to be good. Shackleton wont wow anyone but a good meat an potatoes player with a shot to be a decent stay home defender. Joseph Woll is a top goalie in his age group, but little to know chance he comes. And Liam Devine has some upside.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Fri May 02, 2014 7:51 pm

Thanks Macker! I should have said the last 4 years but I embellished a little. I was too lazy to check back past 2010.

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Sat May 03, 2014 1:11 pm

No 2nd round picks for another. 3 years , unbelievable , that's not how you build a real winner , more mediocrity on the way , especially after next year , they would be better served to see the writing in the wall and unload talent for draft picks by Christmas if we don't have a great shot at the title , not just two rounds in the playoffs , we've been trying to win this way for a long time , and yes we have an entertaining year most years to keep all you wannabe's happy but never the big year , I can't believe you guys are happy with this

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Sun May 04, 2014 10:18 pm

I wouldn't say I'm happy, but as someone in the hockey circle I understand where the Generals are coming from. By staying in contention each year they give themselves to load up at a deadline if they end up as an overwhelming favourite for the league title. Consistent playoff appearances help the team grow and improve despite the fans anger with consistent second round bow outs.
Keep in mind Thowhey inherited most of these missing picks so its not on him

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by core33 Mon May 05, 2014 2:53 am

Again im going to mention Oshawa 2nd rounders. Can u name me a 2nd round pick that was really a core player for the Generals in say the last 17 years? They cant even trade for good 2nd rounders, Nick Quinn was the first pick in his draft year. David Jarram. Clay McFadden was the 2nd pick, Carlo Direnzio was a sieve. Trevor Waddell. The list is long and brutal. And im not naming the Generals actual picks.

In my opinion their last decent 2nd round pick was in 2000 in Paul Ranger and that really is only based on some offence stats and we got 4 years out of him, he was a poor defender. The player taken after Ranger, ex NHLer defenseman Chris Campoli who also gave 4 years and 20 goals his last year. Ranger in playoffs 25 games 0 goals 4 assists. I said decent remember not good or great. The year before that was Pat Montgomery, used all 4 years basically on the PK. One of the poorest offensive skilled players ive ever seen in the O. Never improved that part of his game in any of his 4 years. The player taken after Pat? Cody McCormick. Steve Ott a couple of picks later and former Bull captain Andrew Brown.

1996s Brent Gauvreau was the last good one. I personally never thought much of him, I thought Kevin Colley gave Brent higher stats.

I could go on and on about more recent 2nd rounders.

mygens wrote:No 2nd round picks for another. 3 years , unbelievable , that's not how you build a real winner , more mediocrity on the way , especially after next year , they would be better served to see the writing in the wall and unload talent for draft picks by Christmas if we don't have a great shot at the title , not just two rounds in the playoffs , we've been trying to win this way for a long time , and yes we have an entertaining year most years to keep all you wannabe's happy but never the big year , I can't believe you guys are happy with this

core33

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down