Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gens Camp Cuts

+3
StingRay5
Player Source
jaycro
7 posters

Go down

Gens Camp Cuts Empty Gens Camp Cuts

Post by jaycro Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:48 am

Anyone have the cuts made after Day 4? The Gens are not overly forthcoming with that kind of info. Some threads for other OHL teams have all the cuts made public the same or next day... ex. Petes and the Soo.

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Gens Camp Cuts Empty Re: Gens Camp Cuts

Post by Player Source Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:34 pm

I was at the camp all weekend , don't understand some of the cuts, but I am not making them. Signed US goalie was clearly not on his game, let in several weak goals, one from the side the net should never been let in. Let some D men go that showed really well and had good size, I thought a few of the FA showed and out played some that have the chance to stay. I wish all the players good luck, it was a good camp to watch.

Player Source

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:17 am

Not much coming out of the Gens camp these days...very tight lipped! No mention on the Gens site of their exhibition game vs. the 'Dogs on Sunday, no player transactions. Secrecy or not much going on?

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:57 am

Could it be certain guys are on the chopping block if they dont elevate their games for the rest of the camp?

I thought Dommic Commiso looked better than Manchurek.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Number of posts : 265
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:32 pm

Oshawa Generals pared down to 28 players
Team drops OHL exhibition opener 7-1 to Niagara IceDogs

Oshawa Generals
Oshawa Generals
Sabrina Byrnes / Metroland
OSHAWA -- Oshawa Generals' Jared Domn, right, tried to get the puck past netminder Kenny Appleby during the Red and White game held at the General Motors Centre Saturday morning as part of the Generals' training camp. August 30, 2014
Oshawa This Week
By Brian McNair
OSHAWA -- It’s an exciting time of the year, but not necessarily fun, for new Oshawa Generals GM Roger Hunt.

Hunt, who has been promoted from the coaching staff to general manager to replace Jeff Twohey, is in the midst of making some difficult decisions along with head coach and assistant GM D.J. Smith.

The Ontario Hockey League club followed up a busy training camp with a not-so-pretty exhibition debut Sunday in Niagara Falls, falling 7-1 to the Niagara IceDogs at the Gale Centre.

Prior to that, on Friday with some 50 players still in training camp, both Hunt and Smith were pleased with what they had seen while they were weighing the roster cuts that still needed to be made.

“I’m not sure I would call it fun, I think it’s exciting, but not necessarily fun because there’s a lot of tough decisions to be made,” said Hunt, who was at his fifth training camp with the team, but first in a leading role. “I think the skill level is higher than it has been in the past and certainly the number of returning players are pushing the young guys and the young guys are knocking at some of the returning players’ doors.”

The Generals could welcome as many as 18 players back from last year’s team that finished first in the Eastern Conference standings, but lost in a sweep in the league semifinals.

Smith acknowledged the team would likely be older than it was a year ago, but said replacing the likes of Scott Laughton, Colin Suellentrop and goalie Daniel Altshuller would be no easy task.

“On paper, it looks like we’re going to be older, but sometimes older doesn’t make you better,” said Smith. “Obviously Kenny (Appleby) is going to get his chance in net this year, guys like (Josh) Brown and (Will) Petschenig are going to get to play more minutes. Can they fill the void of a guy like Suellentrop? Can (Cole) Cassels fill a void of a guy like Laughton? We like our team for sure, but at the same point you’ve got to go win the hockey games.”

With seven players soon to be off to NHL camps -- Michael Dal Colle to the New York Islanders, Cassels to Vancouver Canucks, Brown to Florida, Hunter Smith to Calgary, Tobias Lindberg to Ottawa, Jacob Busch to Arizona and Appleby to Chicago -- the Generals will be able to take a little longer look at those on the bubble.

Hunt said Tuesday the team had been pared down to 28 players, and Smith wasn’t guaranteeing spots to those who had played on the team a year ago.

“There are jobs open for sure,” Smith said Friday. “You’ve got to look at the future of the team as well. You’ve got to find room to get some young guys in because a year from now you’ll be in a real bad spot if you don’t.

“Obviously we’re trying to win and put out the best team, but at the same point this is about development too, so we have to find room for (first-round draft pick) Cliff Pu to play, we have to find room for some 97s (1997-born players) to get some minutes in there, as well we have to be fair to the 96s that have put their time in.”

Defenceman Riley Stillman, the team’s second pick in the most recent OHL draft, is among those who have forced a longer look. A fourth-round selection and originally pegged to play with the Cobourg Cougars, Stillman signed with the Generals over the weekend and may spend more time than originally thought with the big club.

“The decision has not been made,” Hunt said of Stillman, who scored the lone goal in the loss to Niagara. “He played really well for us the other night, he’s been really consistent in camp, so he’s one that his end destination has not been completely determined yet. He could be here full-time or potentially split time between here and Cobourg.”

GENERALLY SPEAKING: Michael Dal Colle and Cole Cassels were at training camp, but did not scrimmage due to minor injuries ... The Generals announced the signing of Anthony Cirelli and Kenny Huether at the same time as Riley Stillman on the weekend, although Cirelli is pegged to play with the Tier 2 Mississauga Chargers ... Defenceman Sonny Hertzberg missed training camp while at a camp for Team Denmark, but is with the team now ... Overager Anthony Cortese, picked up from the Quebec league waiver wire, is one of 10 defencemen still with the team ... The Generals are down to two goalies, Kenny Appleby and Jeremy Brodeur ... The pre-season continues Friday in Kingston and Saturday at the Ajax Community Centre against Niagara.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by opinionated Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:31 pm

I'm confused -- only two goalies left in camp, and Appleby is off to Chicago for their training camp shortly.

Why wouldn't they have held on to their #3 at least until Appleby comes back? Who is #3 on the depth chart? Does the absence of a #3 in camp suggest that they don't have a comfortable back-up available if Appleby or Brodeur go down?

What will they do for the exhibition games that they have while Appleby is gone?

opinionated

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:22 pm

There is local talent they can call up or goalies who don't play too far away.

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:12 pm

Wouldn't shock me to see Liam Devine return to get into some pre season action. Releasing/reassigning the goalies not making their team simply gives those guys a shot to prove themselves to tier 2 Jr A teams and Jr B teams while those teams are still in camp. Devine showed well in my opinion an I believe he should be around next season, so should get some opportunity while Appleby is gone.

Ryan Kirkup & Luke Keenan suited up for the Whitby Fury tonight in a pre season game so I'm assuming those two are amongst the cuts. Riley Stillman will eventually be re-assigned to Coburg as it makes no sense to have him around with the depth the Gens have on the back end.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:18 pm

Dominic Commisso looked good in camp an I believe when guys head off to U-17 & the World Jr's he'll see some time up with the Generals. In my opinion he looked just as good if not better then some returning Generals players. He'll start the season with the Mississauga Chargers along with recent Generals signee Anthony Cirelli.

Check out the Whitby Fury, Coburg Cougars & Mississauga Chargers of the OPJAHL this season to keep track of Gens prospects

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:37 pm

Tyler Cooper was also listed in a OPJAHL pre season game tonight. Appearing with the Mississauga Chargers. So add him to the list of players likely reassigned or cut.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:46 pm

Add Dawson Shackelton to the list of most likely reassigned, as he suited up tonight for the Milton Icehawks of the OPJAHL.

Dawson was a favourite of mine during my minor midget scouting trips last season, I guarantee in a year or two this kid will be a fan favourite in Oshawa. Happy to have him

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:33 am

I thought the "shack" showed really well in the camp. he held his own and did not look out of place.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:23 pm

No great loss here but Nikko Sablone who attended Oshawa Generals camp will play for Windsor Spitfires vs. Niagara Tuesday, If we have to keep a player which only talent is fighting I then would rather keep Harrison he is a year younger.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:57 pm

I agree steamed. Nice to Sablone get picked up by Windsor however, thought he played his role very well. He'll likely replace Ty Blicke in Windsor as their "enforcer". Blicke will likely be headed to the ECHL.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:50 am

Gens cut Stillman  Sad . So now Robertson and Templeton battle for 7th D. Vande Sompel, Desrocher, Petschenig, Brown, Hertzberg, Carlisle top 6.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:00 pm

I still think its better to send Stillman back to Coborg for this year. Let him develop and grow instead of riding the pines with gens this year.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:24 pm

Personally I feel like Stillman outplayed Carlisle, Hertzberg, Templeton and Robertson, an he should be a main stay in the top 6. But with Carlisle being an OA you know he's gonna be in the lineup every night, Hertzberg being an import you know he's gonna get every opportunity to play. Robertson is a good swing man, decent enough forward an has improved defensively I don't mind him as a 7th D-Man.
Stillman will Benefit from tier two jr a experience but it's tough to see him go as he really was a top 6 defenseman through camp in my opinion.

Brown - Vande Sompel
Peteshenig - Hertzberg
Desrocher - Carlisle
Templeton/Robertson

I feel we had some depth, but a more quantity over quality situation here. After our top 3 I feel the D core really drops off. Could be the achillies heal this season.
Plymouth, Soo Sault Marie, Guelph, Niagara, Peterborough & Sudbury all have some expendable d-man I'm hoping the Gens take a look. Although don't expect Niagara or Peterborough to help out the Generals.

Adam Bateman... Can you really tell me he'd be worse then Carlisle... Desrocher, Hertzberg or a couple rookies.....

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down