Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calvin De haan staying on the Island

+3
ohagan
gensfan33
Gens Camper
7 posters

Go down

Calvin De haan staying on the Island Empty Calvin De haan staying on the Island

Post by Gens Camper Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:27 pm

Well it appears that the Islanders are having a longer look at Calvin as he is now on the Islanders main roster

Good luck Calvin

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Calvin De haan staying on the Island Empty Re: Calvin De haan staying on the Island

Post by gensfan33 Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:14 pm

that's pretty good good luck to him
gensfan33
gensfan33

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-10-04

Back to top Go down

Calvin De haan staying on the Island Empty Re: Calvin De haan staying on the Island

Post by ohagan Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:41 pm

Yes, good luck calvin! it would be nice to have him back for sure, but i would not be heartbroken if he stays with isles organization. the gens would be stronger with him in the lineup dont get me wrong, but we are playing well without him

ohagan

Number of posts : 360
Seat Section : 119 standing room
Registration date : 2010-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:24 pm

Means nothing thats a list of 29 players. So unless the isles have six injuries they need to make cuts by wednesday.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by newgensfan85 Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:35 pm

the final 4 cuts will be done by 3pm wednesday, de Haan may be part of those cuts or they may give him a few games and send him back down or he is may make the team who really knows its now just a waiting game its awesome he has made it this far

newgensfan85

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ohagan Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:51 pm

archer_gens wrote:Means nothing thats a list of 29 players. So unless the isles have six injuries they need to make cuts by wednesday.

Yes i did note that the isles have about 9 or 10 defencemen on their team roster, so there will be a few more cuts for sure

ohagan

Number of posts : 360
Seat Section : 119 standing room
Registration date : 2010-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:34 pm

Monday October 4, 2010
1:40 P.M.

Scott Gordon
After the team got off the ice from their skate this morning, the media met with Islanders coach Scott Gordon. With 27 skaters still at Training Camp, the Islanders still need to trim their roster by four. As expected, everyone wants know the status of Islanders rookies Calvin de Haan and Nino Niederreiter.

This is what Gordon said:

“Calvin (de Haan) and Nino (Niederreiter) will probably be discussions throughout the week. I don’t think anything is written in stone. They’re certainly showing why they were first round picks, and I think that whether they’re here for the whole season, or they’re here for nine games, or for less than nine games, or they’re gone on Wednesday, we’re happy with what we have. We just have to figure some things out with what we want to do and what’s the right decision.”

-Dyan LeBourdais
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Calvin De haan staying on the Island Empty Calvins chances of coming back

Post by Gens Camper Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:52 pm

If I was a betting - I would say we will see Calvin back here

The Isles have the lowest payroll in the NHL - do not like to spend $

They could get Reddon or Souray to upgrade their team - why aren't they

Calvin would be a 1.5 million per YR hit - the defenseman they just signed was about 1/2 of that

Why would you use 1 year of Calvin's eligibilty to play on 1 of the worst defense in the NHL

Bottom line - back in Gens land this week or by game 9

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by gensfan33 Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:10 am

probably be back after game 9 probably
gensfan33
gensfan33

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:18 am

Another Calvin update. I really think he'll be one of the cuts on Wednesday. This from islanderspointblank.com this morning

9:35 am: In what could be a sign of things to come, Scott Gordon and Dean Chynoweth cut their defensive alignment by one-third on Saturday while the Islanders successfully protected a 2-1 lead over the Devils. The coaches played Mark Eaton, Mike Mottau, Radek Martinek and James Wisniewski exclusively, holding Andrew MacDonald and Calvin de Haan to under ten minutes for the contest.

Gordon clarified that he limited the youngsters’ minutes because they had played the night before in New Jersey. Fair enough, but - especially if Martinek can stay healthy - the Islanders could do a lot worse than having him, Mottau, Eaton and Wisniewski eating minutes while trying to hold a lead. In fact, as anyone who has followed this team closely since the summer Kenny Jonsson, Adrian Aucoin and Roman Hamrlik left town, the franchise has done a lot worse.

So I put the question to Coach Gordon: even with Mark Streit out, is this the best corps of defensemen you’ve had since you got here?

Gordon looked me straight in the eye and said, “There’s no comparison.”

Then he elaborated.

“We went into the year with two defensemen who hadn’t played pretty much the whole previous year (Andy Sutton and Martinek) and a defenseman that is probably retired now (Brendan Witt). We had some defensemen that had to catch up when Marty got hurt (Freddy Meyer among them).

“Now we’re in a situation where the guys that are here, everybody’s played top-four minutes at some point. We haven’t had that in the entire time that I’ve been here.”

A year ago at this time, the Islanders started the season with a blueline of Streit, Sutton, Martinek, Meyer, Witt and Bruno Gervais. Jack Hillen was the prospect ready to go.

Despite Streit’s absence, Gordon and Chynoweth will have the option of playing any six of the following nine defensemen when the season opens on Saturday: Wisniewski, Mottau, Eaton, Martinek, MacDonald, Gervais, de Haan, Hillen and Milan Jurcina.

In mid-July, I disagreed that the Islanders improved their defense when the additions were only Eaton and Jurcina. Then came the brilliant stroke of acquiring Wisniewski for a conditional third round pick. Last week saw the low-cost signing of the high-calibre Mottau.

Yes, “best D corps” in these last three seasons is all relative. But bood health willing, Gordon has every reason to believe there’s no comparison.

Notes: For those of you without the MSG Networks or Centre Ice package, NHL Network is broadcasting the Islanders’ game at Anaheim on Nov. 10 at 10:00 pm ET. This is the only Islanders’ broadcast of the network’s schedule of 78 NHL games live and in HD.

More than a week after the Islanders sent Kirill Kabanov back to Moncton, the wing has yet to play in a Quebec League game. The latest holdup: the Wildcats are waiting for the International Ice Hockey Federation complete paperwork to clear Kabanov to play. He has yet to be added to the team’s roster, while Moncton (6-2-2) has already played ten games.

KHE

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayes#21 Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:21 pm

Any experience Calvin gets , will only benefit him. The longer he stays, the more he will know what he has to work on etc. I wish him the best of luck, and for his sake, I hope he stays with the NHL club. But I think someone made a point on an eariler thread that they may send him back, to make sure the shoulder has healed, and gets some steady game action. If he stays with the big club, his minutes will be low. When you have an injury, to get better, sometimes you need work the area, regularly and with some intesity. He would get that in Oshawa. Whatever happens, I wish him nothing but the best. He has represented Oshawa well.

Hayes#21

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down