Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home Opener

+6
JPH
archer_gens
Gens-southern-fanclub
federo5
jaycro
ohagan
10 posters

Go down

Home Opener Empty Home Opener

Post by ohagan Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:57 pm

It's great to be back to the GM Center tonight, I not seeing Jenner playing tonight, does anyone know why? He played on Friday in Kingston.

ohagan

Number of posts : 360
Seat Section : 119 standing room
Registration date : 2010-09-08

Back to top Go down

Home Opener Empty Re: Home Opener

Post by ohagan Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:39 pm

Been chatting at the arena and I've been hearing Jenner hurt his knee. He got hit hard in Kingston, I guess that must have been when he got hurt.

ohagan

Back to top Go down

Post by ohagan Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:42 pm

Gens down 3 1 end of 2nd, let's hope for a 3rd period rally, LETS GO GENNIES 

ohagan

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:08 pm

The most disconcerting thing about tonight's game was the number and kind of penalties taken by the Gens . Last year far too many penalties were taken to the point DePiero issued a statement this year that they were going to try to cut down on penalties, especially those away from the play and 'stick' penalties. In the last three games the Gens have taken, I believe, 6 stick to the head penalties. Where is the newly sought-after discipline? Things don't seem to have changed. And oh, the same old powerplay! If the Soo hadn't hit 6 or 7 crossbars and posts and it might have been much worse. Murray was brilliant (and lucky) keeping things close. I know things will get better over time when all the players practice together and lines are set but these two areas of concern need to be addressed!

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by federo5 Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:12 pm

This is my first post. I made an account just to comment on this because it really annoyed me last year and apparently is going to be the same this year. DePiero seems to be a good assessor of talent but a bad coach. I saw the generals defence making the same mistakes last year in game one and all through the year until the final game. A big lack of disclpline especially. I don't think they will make the next step until they find a leader who can focus strictly on coaching. Just my two cents. Smile

federo5

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens-southern-fanclub Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:18 am

federo5 you need to be more specific than they lack discipline. They give up 1 goal and 3 goals on what 19 shots and it is a defense that lacks discipline. you will not win many games scoring only one goal. 1 for 11 on the pp and a unit that had way to much ice time in the third.

Gens-southern-fanclub

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:00 pm

can't ask for much from special teams, no time to gel, and they probably haven't worked on it, focusing more on 5 on 5, line combos and team building. Great defensive effort, however need to figure out how to score, hopefully Jenner, Lessio and possibly Jensen will help to put the puck in the net Friday.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by JPH Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:11 pm

What did we end up going? 1-11? I know its early, and teams havent gelled yet, but that is a little absurd. Park and Carrol as a tandem, I knew right then exactly what kind of game to look foward too.

Gens played well, although form reading a few posts on the NOOF, I don't think Murray played quite as well as people are saying. He made the saves, but was a reboud machine all night. Everything was being kicked into the slot. It seemed to me more a case of Oshawa just not being able to finish their chances/ get to the slot in time to cash on the rebound.

Good to see Thomas back, I'm sure in a couple of games he will be back in form. His accuracy was a little off. Speed was good, and stickhandling as good as it ever was. I do think we were perhaps a little too predicitable with feeding him throughout the night.

Altshuller looked good enough, for what he faced.

Overall, a good game. Things will only improve as the season goes on, and our roster gets settled.

JPH

Number of posts : 172
Seat Section : Somewhere in Section 119
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by LX Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:20 pm

DePiero is a terrible coach.. good GM but bad coach.. when we had our 11 PP he never put out the proper players.. last year with all the offensive fire power we had, wh didnt have a powerplay.. plus he rly does need to beat it into the players to stop taking so many penalty's.. granted some were pretty weak

LX

Number of posts : 190
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by gensrock Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:41 pm

LX wrote:DePiero is a terrible coach.. good GM but bad coach.. when we had our 11 PP he never put out the proper players.. last year with all the offensive fire power we had, wh didnt have a powerplay.. plus he rly does need to beat it into the players to stop taking so many penalty's.. granted some were pretty weak

So.......LX......who are the "proper players" to put out??.....& last year we finished around the middle of the pack on both the PP & PK. As for all the penalty's ...well maybe the boys should go to the Emerson Clark school of sefe control... he seems to be doing quite well or maybe its jrst maturity of lack of it
gensrock
gensrock

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:51 pm

The Gens will be solid this year but I expect there will be some inconsistency early on. Players who have just returned from camp are on a downer to be back and usually need three or four games to readjust to the pace of the OHL. With six or seven different players being returned at different times, the Gens could be in this situation for three weeks or so and this will probably be enhanced by teams that look like they should be easy wins so they could be a bit lethargic and play down to the level of their opposition. I hope I'm wrong but it usually seems the case with teams that have lots of draft picks returning.

I wrote this before the season opener in Kingston. Why re-type the same thing when you can copy and paste? Laughing

No need to hit the panic button.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by LX Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:14 pm

i agree clark is one of the few players that can control himself... but graves and Petaccio on the PP.. i love those guys but they arent great offensive players.. again im not putting them down.. it is early but they really need to get the PP working this year

LX

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:27 pm

who do u want on the PP LX? Lessio, Jenner, Jensen, Andreoff? none of them could play for us.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by LX Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:34 pm

thomas, lebardo, laughton.. cassels, Uvira, clark.. that would be my choice. i was at the game in kingston, and im my opinion clark was one of the better players in that game, so give him some more ice time..

LX

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:52 pm

clark for sure should have had more ice time, not sure about labardo yet, he looked bad in preseason, o well, it will be interesting going forward for sure
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:32 pm

You think Labardo looked bad in preseason? Are you kidding me.
He was right up there with the most points..
And now he is named Oshawa Generals player of the week.

Gens_Fan_22

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by federo5 Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:59 pm

Gens-southern-fanclub wrote:federo5 you need to be more specific than they lack discipline. They give up 1 goal and 3 goals on what 19 shots and it is a defense that lacks discipline. you will not win many games scoring only one goal. 1 for 11 on the pp and a unit that had way to much ice time in the third.

How do I need to be more specific. A lack of disclpline is pretty self explinatory. I can't give you a specific example of the 400 times last season the Generals showed a lack of disclpline and poor coaching but how about the endless bonehead penalties and giveaways by defenseman such as Valentine. I saw him making the same in front of the net up the middle giveaways in preseason as he did in the playoffs months later. I want the Generals to win as much as the next person but if you notice team concepts defensively the Generals lack bigtime under Dipiero. Defense wins championships. You can always make an excuse as to why they make mistakes but you can't justify them making the same mistakes 5 months in to a season other than there not being coached sufficiently..

federo5

Back to top Go down

Post by federo5 Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:55 pm

1 minute left Pettacio takes a suspenable penalty behind the opposing goal. Is that a good example?

federo5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down