Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking Ahead But Not Optimistically.

+8
KHE
mygens
archer_gens
gensfan4life3232
nerfherder
steamed
Oshawa fan
jaycro
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Looking Ahead But Not Optimistically. - Page 2 Empty Re: Looking Ahead But Not Optimistically.

Post by 5forfighting Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:54 am

Labardo, Clark, petgrave, Geoffrey s, bailie, sabourin, graves, Thomas, Quinn

5forfighting

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-01-17

Back to top Go down

Looking Ahead But Not Optimistically. - Page 2 Empty Re: Looking Ahead But Not Optimistically.

Post by jaycro Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:44 pm

-I would guess with archer_gens that if Schemitsch and Petrave return; they are locks! Next in line would be Thomas,,if he is returned, which is highly doubtful, although I think another year as 'super sniper' would be good for him. Sabourin seemed to be more highly valued than Graves by this past year's coaching staff and the two are similar in size and tenacity (or as Burkie would put it...truculence!). Quinn did not play much the last half of the season so he's probably a 'gonner', especially if both of the 'Sound' boys return. If not, then Quinn might be considered to add experience to the back end. Doubt we'll see Labardo back. I like him but he hasn't developed much since he got here and he's not a 1st or 2nd line player. Clark has improved but again, not a true 1st or 2nd line player. Altschuller will be the no.1 goalie next year with Appleby as backup so Bailie should be traded to retrieve some lost draft picks. So in summation, prob. overagers: Schemitsch, Petgrave and Thomas or Sabourin if Thomas is gone. Substitute Quinn for either of the other two defencemen if need be. Going to school could impact som of the above. Just my thoughts!

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:29 am

Good synopsis Jaycro ! The two D men , then either sabourin or Clark , tuff call on that one ! Of course Thomas if he returns , which could very likely happen , he didn't burn up the league by any stretch this year ! Training camp will be very interesting , with new gm and coach , everyone is starting from square on ! I like that , and depending on what style of team they want , we could see some interesting trades , me personally I would move Thomas , lessio , and Jensen , if I could get a good return !

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:48 am

I don't think Thomas will be back. While he did not have a great season I think he needs a different challenge at the American League or ECHL level.

Trading Lessio or Jensen may is not really a great idea except perhaps at the deadline. Lessio was much better late in the season defensively and reduced his plus/minus which was -13 or worse at one point.

Jensen is a potential 40 goal scorer if he finds his game on a consistent basis. A new coach and a change of few older players may make a difference.

If Altshuller can play the way he did against Niagara then the goaltending situation will be fine. IF not a trade will be necessary.

While I agree the two d-men are the first overagers I think Sabourin or Labrado are the next two in line. Clark did very well but I do not think he is a first or second line player. While I am not sure of Sabourin or Labrado each of them had time on the special teams last season. Neither of them are strong candidates but both could fit the bill.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:49 pm

we are solid in net , that worry is all but gone , overagers are key to a successful season , there will likely be only one spot up for grabs , and i sure hope we come up with something better than labardo to fill it . there will be no favourites carried over from this past year , labardo is too small , too soft , no offensive upside for him to be one of our overagers , if we can't trade for another overeager that can play on at least the 2nd line , then we are better off keeping sabourin or clark to be solid 3rd line guys that can protect the younger guys and chip in 10 goals or so for the season .

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:13 pm

mygens wrote:we are solid in net , that worry is all but gone , overagers are key to a successful season , there will likely be only one spot up for grabs , and i sure hope we come up with something better than labardo to fill it . there will be no favourites carried over from this past year , labardo is too small , too soft , no offensive upside for him to be one of our overagers , if we can't trade for another overeager that can play on at least the 2nd line , then we are better off keeping sabourin or clark to be solid 3rd line guys that can protect the younger guys and chip in 10 goals or so for the season .

What Labardo to small Shocked I think he is taller than Clark.I rather have Labardo a much more of an up side than Clark.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:00 pm

Labardo .... 5'8", 175 and Clark 5'9", 190. It's not what size you are; it's what you do with it! See Cal Clutterbuck! Not a big Clark fan but he has more 'truculence'!

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by mikekomisarek08 Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:16 am

You can remove Quinn from the list of potential OA as he's going to the University of Guelph in the fall.

mikekomisarek08

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:15 pm

Rumour on the Petes site is Sabourin is headed their way in a trade.

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:44 pm

There is also a rumour that Matt Pumpel want's out and wants to be traded to the Gen's Laughing
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by mikekomisarek08 Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:02 pm

Sabourin for Pumpel? Wink

Realistically, I like Sabourin but we've got so many potential OA that whatever Jeff gets will be ok.

mikekomisarek08

Back to top Go down

Post by the croc Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:29 pm

Would you as general manager take a serious look at the many overage players available who may be a great deal better than the lads we have?The overage guys should be your top 4 D or your top 6 forwards or they are taking the place of a young guy who needs to develop.

the croc

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:34 pm

This is off topic you can take Paul Mauries(sp) off the possible canidates as coach of the Gen's if he was on the list got a job coaching a KHL team.
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by mikekomisarek08 Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:46 am

the croc wrote:Would you as general manager take a serious look at the many overage players available who may be a great deal better than the lads we have?The overage guys should be your top 4 D or your top 6 forwards or they are taking the place of a young guy who needs to develop.

Of course he's going to look at other possible OA just as the other GMs will be looking at ours.

J.P Labardo 5.08 174
Scott Sabourin 6.03 181
Christian Thomas 5.09 180
Emerson Clark 5.09 187
Josh Graves 6.02 188

Matt Petgrave 6.02 189
Geoffrey Schemitsch 6.03 187

Kevin Bailie 6.03 190

First off, you would think Baille is gone, traded to the highest bidder.

Second, so much depends on Pettgrave and Schemitsch. I personally don't think neither is coming back next year. Both will be offered an AHL contract and then will have a big decision to make. If both leave, Twohey needs to look eslewhere for an OA defenseman and the real good ones can be hard to find.

Up front, Thomas should be gone, especially if the team rebuilds. Of the other four, simply because of size, I think I'd keep Graves or Sabourin.

mikekomisarek08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2