Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Playoffs ROUND 1 VS Mississauga

+10
Oshawa fan
Macker88
core33
archer_gens
chupa81
Gens Camper
StingRay5
steamed
oshgens2k2
KHE
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Playoffs  ROUND 1 VS Mississauga Empty Playoffs ROUND 1 VS Mississauga

Post by KHE Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:59 am

Well folks.. the real season has finally arrived and I'm sure there's nobody happier than the players themselves.  This Generals team really hasn't played a meaningful game for over a month thanks in large part to there successful play in the regular season.  I've noticed on here that some fans have really not been pleased with their play as of late and while I can understand their frustration you've got to remember that these games meant NOTHING to the Generals players.  Their position was already solidified.  SO.. let's forget about the last month or so as players and fans and refocus on the new season... the real season.  

Game 1 Fri., March 21 Mississauga at Oshawa 7:35
Game 2 Sun., March 23 Mississauga at Oshawa 6:05
Game 3 Tues., March 25 Oshawa at Mississauga 7:30
Game 4 Thurs., March 27 Oshawa at Mississauga 7:30
Game 5 Fri., March 28 Mississauga at Oshawa 7:35
Game 6 Sun., March 30 Oshawa at Mississauga 2:00
Game 7 Tues., April 1 Mississauga at Oshawa 7:05

I'm sure Oshawa will welcome back Josh Brown to the fold when the playoffs start on Friday and he'll have some rust to shake off due to the time off.  Oshawa went 3-1 against Mississauga outscoring them 12-7 over the course of the year.  The only loss happened on October 25, 2013 by a 4-0 count in Mississauga.  I'm expecting a Generals series victory in no more than 5 games.  We all know that defence wins championships and the Generals will need solid goaltending and smart defensive play in order to move on in these playoffs.  

Oshawa will have home ice advantage through the Eastern Conference .  So, buy your tickets, support the Gens for a long playoff run.  As fans we should be cheering for the London Knights in the Western Conference because if London makes it to the OHL Finals the representative form the Eastern Conference would get a free pass to the Memorial Cup.

GO GENS GO!!

Last edited by KHE on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

KHE

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Playoffs  ROUND 1 VS Mississauga Empty Re: Playoffs ROUND 1 VS Mississauga

Post by oshgens2k2 Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:29 pm

I don't think we would have home advantage vs Guelph, London, Erie, soo based on points .

oshgens2k2

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:32 pm

oshgens2k2 wrote:I don't think we would have home advantage vs Guelph, London, Erie, soo based on points .

I believe it's based on seeding. I haven't found anything that would tell me a #4 seed in the west would have home ice over a #1 seed in the east.

KHE

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:28 pm

KHE wrote:
oshgens2k2 wrote:I don't think we would have home advantage vs Guelph, London, Erie, soo based on points .

I believe it's based on seeding.  I haven't found anything that would tell me a #4 seed in the west would have home ice over a #1 seed in the east.

After the 1st round it goes in order of points for home advantage.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:55 pm

steamed wrote:
KHE wrote:

I believe it's based on seeding.  I haven't found anything that would tell me a #4 seed in the west would have home ice over a #1 seed in the east.

After the 1st round it goes in order of points for home advantage.

Sorry Steamed.. I don't mean to press you but I haven't found any information in regards to this at all. This is the closest I've found "Teams are re-seeded within their conference after each round and the division winners are always ranked 1-2 within the conference as long as they progress. The champions from each conference play in the OHL Championship Series for the J. Ross Robertson Cup.". I haven't found anything NOR to my knowledge has there been a situation in the league as there is this year where a #1 seed in the east has less points than 4 teams in the Western Conference. Correct me if I'm wrong....

KHE

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:08 pm

We will only meet the west when(if) we win the east. and for argument sake let say london has 103 pt and we have 90 pts london would get home ice even though they didn't finished 1st in the west.I haven't found anything to prove my statement but I'm sure that's was the pass practice.
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:18 pm

steamed wrote:We will only meet the west when(if) we win the east. and for argument sake let say london has 103 pt and we have 90 pts london would get home ice even though they didn't finished 1st in the west.I haven't found anything to prove my statement but I'm sure that's was the pass practice.

I've sent an e-mail to Ted Baker for clarification. The league has never had this potential situation

KHE

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:21 pm

KHE wrote:
steamed wrote:We will only meet the west when(if) we win the east. and for argument sake let say london has 103 pt and we have 90 pts london would get home ice even though they didn't finished 1st in the west.I haven't found anything to prove my statement but I'm sure that's was the pass practice.

I've sent an e-mail to Ted Baker for clarification.  The league has never had this potential situation

KHE Good move  I was thinking also of doing this,ted is pertty good @ responding as he responded to my ?'s in the past cheers
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:52 pm

steamed wrote:
KHE wrote:

I've sent an e-mail to Ted Baker for clarification.  The league has never had this potential situation

KHE Good move  I was thinking also of doing this,ted is pertty good @ responding as he responded to my ?'s in the past cheers

Ted has confirmed that it would be determined by points as Steamed originally said...

KHE

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:02 pm

Looks like lots of tickets available in Mississauga. If I can get coverage for the kids activities I will be there in Red.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Number of posts : 265
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

Playoffs  ROUND 1 VS Mississauga Empty Round # 1

Post by Gens Camper Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:13 pm

If the GENS play the way they are capable of this is a short 4 game sweep -  if they let a bottom team like Missy hang around it could go 6 as they have a goaltender that can steal games

The KEY - DISCILPLINE - Power play - penalty key and goaltending  - The key in the playoffs is to play every game like it's game 7 - then

you are always focussed on the Goal

16 WINS TO GO

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by chupa81 Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:26 pm

Gens in 5... I also think that the Pets upset Kingston in 6 or 7 games? Any thoughts on that? Possibly Pets and Gens in Rd 2 would be nice!

chupa81

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2011-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:55 pm

We all hope for the upset - BUT - Kingston can score at will - reminds me of GENS teams of the past score a ton BUT give up a boatload

Should be interesting - It would only be nice if we win

Round # 2 - is likely 1 of 4 teams - Barrie/Sudbury or Petes / Kingston

The team you would like to face Petes/Barrie/Kingston/Sudbury

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:38 am

We can't play North Bay or Kingston in Round 2. Options would be barrie, sudbury, niagara or peterborough.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:37 am

archer_gens wrote:We can't play North Bay or Kingston in Round 2. Options would be barrie, sudbury, niagara or peterborough.

I would rather NOT play Sudbury and to a lesser extent Barrie. We can all hope for a Peterborough upset of Kingston. Kingston last won a first round playoff series in 1997-98.

KHE

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:54 pm

Looking forward to tonight! Any word on Josh Brown's return?
StingRay5
StingRay5

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:59 pm

We have to get some good habits in this series - play our game - hopefully not get put to sleep by that terrible defensive trap they play

Missy and N /Bay are 2 of the worst teams to watch

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:52 am

The trap has a way of disappearing when they get behind. Nice job last night Gens!
StingRay5
StingRay5

Back to top Go down

Post by core33 Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:54 am

Well 2 games in and 2 wins.

What ive liked is rolling all 4 lines the whole game both games, even down 2-0 Sunday, we still saw plenty of Manchurek, Dundas, Wallace, Busch, Harding. Also rolling all 6 d-men with Desrocher doing a fine job replacing Brown. That is not only good going forward this playoffs but the future. In the past, some players sat out due to vets traded in and ive been disappointed to see that, Petschenig last year comes to mind and he is a beast this year. These guys have to play to get better and get experience.

One thing ive noticed is Smoskowitz not getting a whole lot of ice. He is either in the doghouse a bit or is playing thru an injury.

core33

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:32 am

I really liked Harding taking and winning face offs in the defensive zone. Both Busch and Harding got stronger yesterday as the game wore on.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:12 pm

I'm definitely a fan of seeing DJ use all 12 forwards. He definitely has a tendency to run a short bench, but with a potential deep playoff run a head of us I think its very important to role all 12 forwards and 6 D especially in this 1 vs 8 match up, where we should have a distinct advantage.
On Smoskowitz, If its an injury its more understandable as to why he's seeing less ice. If it's his play, I don't quite understand it. I thought he's played well since becoming a General. He has the ability to score, check and just is a really good 200 foot player. I won't argue with success, but this is a guy will need more from in the deeper rounds, so it might be a good idea to get him going now.
I'm also a fan of the young guys really stepping up, I've really liked Harding's game in these first 2 playoff games. Desrocher has improved by leaps and bounds from the exhibition season to now. I really like him going forward. Manchurek has stepped up as of late, no question about that, an Busch has continued to play a style of game that makes him effective. I know we have a long run in 2013-2014 ahead of us, but the play of these younger guys has me excited for the future.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:10 pm

Macker88 is so right about the future. Nice to see the younger guys playing an important role.
Hunter Smith just keeps looking better and better. I am sure the NHL scouts last night were taking a good look at him (as well as DC). He is coming up with puck more often now. Nice to see a project working out.
The Gens need to keep up the momentum but also steer away from bad penalties.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:16 pm

I've been really impressed with Hunter Smith's development. I'll be honest at the start of the season I thought this kid was releasable. His skating was terrible, he had a hard time moving the puck and just looked a step behind. But DJ Smith gave him a shot on the top line & on the PP an he's just ran with it. In 30 games last year he had 1 assist, this year 40 points in 64 plus 100 penalty minutes. With his size, physicality and now his ability to score it wouldn't surprise me to see a team take a flyer on him in a late round in the upcoming NHL draft. All though with him being a '95 its more likely a team will sign him as an undrafted free agent an bring him into rookie camp. Either way all the best to Hunter Smith.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by the croc Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:29 pm

The Fronts are 2-0. I don't believe either Kingston goalie can make it to the dance this year. Daniel Altschuler can. Go Fronts/Gens. Regards the old Croc of the K-ROCK.

the croc

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:42 pm

Looking forward to the game tonight. Heading out from work at 4pm to make it over for the game.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next