Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time to take a stand

+7
Gens Fan 112
BOBBY ORR NUMBER4
Gensfansec114
sdspencer
steamed
Gens_Fan_22
gogensgo
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Time to take a stand Empty Time to take a stand

Post by gogensgo Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:42 am

It is the end of the year and time to take an official bottom-line stand with your opinion. If you are the owner of this organization, do you:

1) Keep the current coach
2) Keep the current Assistants
3) Keep the current GM

Just looking for a quick yes or no on each line - comments or explanations or disclaimers not required. Just a bottom line decision if you were the owner (if you have the courage).

gogensgo

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Back to top Go down

Time to take a stand Empty Re: Time to take a stand

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:38 am

I would give Dips one more year as GM
All assistants and the Coach must go.

Gens_Fan_22

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:40 am

1) No
2) No
3) No
I never like blaming the coach's but the kids just weren't listining to Dip's for what ever reason.But if they do let the coach and his staff go,they better make sure they get the right one, to many coaches over the last 5 - 6 years.But what ever Coach GM they do decide not everyone will be happy.
On another note it really should not of come down to the last 3 games to decide if your going to make the playoffs or not.I do expect to hear some changes prior to the draft which will be important to the Gen's.
I did enjoy coming out and supporting the team but not looking for the long layoff again before next season starts up again.

cheers
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by sdspencer Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:50 am

Gens_Fan_22 wrote:I would give Dips one more year as GM All assistants and the Coach must go.
My opinion is get rid of the coach. This team made no progress from last season. If anything they have regressed. They needed goaltending help and did nothing, but complain the price for goalie help at the deadline was too steep. But if that goalie was able to make the difference and get you into the playoffs, then we wouldn't bewriting about gettting rid of this coach. I say inconsistenancy all season, no drive from many players and when they needed to win, they just laid down like a cheap rug to most teams. I hope there is major changes and it must start from the top. I may renew my season tickets for next season only if there is changes and a new attitude.
sdspencer
sdspencer

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Gensfansec114 Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:22 pm

Gensfan22 did you miss this season? Why would you give Dips one more year?

NO
NO
NO

Dips has done nothing to deserve to keep his job his failure to take time outs his sporatic line changes, his abuse of both goaltenders this guy has no business being inthis league and Iam telling you if the Gens ownership do the right thing he won't find a job in the O again.

Make the change and make it now!

Gensfansec114

Number of posts : 14
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:27 pm

Im shocked that beats has not jumped on this thread with his "save the coach , it s not his team" campaign.
my stand will be taken when I do not renew my 4 premiuim seats for next year .

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4

Number of posts : 230
Seat Section : 105
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 112 Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:03 pm

Yeah! Who knew that 'Beats would have a life of his own rather than hanging off the every word of the "catalysts of the Dipiero witch-hunt?" I have read every word he has written on the subject. Some places we have common-ground, in other areas I tend to disagree but one thing I can say for certain is that he knows more on the topic than I and always gives his opinions in a rational, thoughtful manner.

You're being a bully. That's 2 and 10 for instigating.
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Number of posts : 900
Registration date : 2007-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:34 pm

lmao at Gens Fan 112

Gens_Fan_22

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:48 pm

Gens Fan 112 wrote:Yeah! Who knew that 'Beats would have a life of his own rather than hanging off the every word of the "catalysts of the Dipiero witch-hunt?" I have read every word he has written on the subject. Some places we have common-ground, in other areas I tend to disagree but one thing I can say for certain is that he knows more on the topic than I and always gives his opinions in a rational, thoughtful manner.

You're being a bully. That's 2 and 10 for instigating.

Being a bully!!!!!I am in the fire DIPS camp , he is in the Keep Dips camp.
It is really that simple , I enjoy his take on subjects and have publically said so in this forum

I am not here to bully , insult or harrass anyone on this thread . my purpose hear is to debate how the Oshawa Generals are going to turn their failures into success.

Best Regards

Bobby Orr Number 4

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:17 pm

It's hard to know what a new upgraded regime will bring to the table. The coaching/management job is very difficult and very few are up to the challenge. There is an awful lot to the task. What we do know is when an existing coaching/management staff is in over their heads and struggle with the task. It shows clearly on the ice. It's not about 'bullying' or humiliation or frustration. The hunt for the right mix and chemistry must go on. It will pay off in the long run. Dips tried his best. Many skilled coaches have fallen before him. Fans only get disgruntled when their 'shelf life' expires and the tough choices are not made. It becomes public very quickly! It is all just part of the game!

gensman

Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:46 pm

First day of March Break, I slept in.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

No further explanation, I've said enough on the subject and I'm about to have a late breakfast and enjoy my Saturday National Post and go out for dinner later so yes, I do have a life outside of here, lol

I think Bobby Orr #4 should be appreciative that unlike most teams, I believe the Gens do still offer pro-rated season tickets if you are jumping on the bandwagon 20 games into the season which will likely be the case. If not, enjoy the rush hour traffic to spend two hours supporting the Battalion in a dull arena with the other 800 fans that are there.

Gens Fan 112, thank you for the moral support. I do accept disagreement and enjoy it because I love a good discussion, I have a hard time with the "witch-hunt" crowd, you put it quite well.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:10 pm

Fair enough. There is indeed more to life than this game. But it sure would have been nice if you enlightened us 'witch hunters' with what you have seen over the past few years or which particular skills you see in the current coaching/management that would quell this rabid mob. I for one would luv to know why you are so enamored with the status quo. Or why you think that this situation couldn't be dramatically upgraded. I'd also like to know why you take the support for this team so for granted.

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:06 pm

Like I have said before - not making the playoffs 4 of the last 6 years is not acceptable.

I predict change will happen quickly - I know it is a combination of past poor drafts - terrible trades by Smellwood - whatever.

About 8 weeks ago many thought we were a playoff lock - now we are locked out of the playoffs.

When teams breed a losing atmosphere some one must pay and that is the group behind the bench.

The community needs and wants change except beats.

With a great arena like ours - you cannot afford to lose your fan base as it is much easier to keep it than rebuild it.

DIPS do the right thing - sign Lessio this week and replace yourself as coach.

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:07 pm

But it sure would have been nice if you enlightened us 'witch hunters' with what you have seen over the past few years or which particular skills you see in the current coaching/management that would quell this rabid mob. I for one would luv to know why you are so enamored with the status quo. Or why you think that this situation couldn't be dramatically upgraded.

I've already answered that question several times but to try and be concise, the main reason is that getting a new coach now means starting all over again unnecessarily.

You think that 18 months is enough time to take a team that has been completely blown up, start from scratch and that 17 and 18 year olds should be ready to compete with 19 and 20 year olds which is quite frankly, wishful thinking. Your response to this is that you don't have time to wait for the cycles of junior hockey - you are expecting the impossible.

You think De Piero has been in a position of authority for four years which is completely and utterly false.

You fail to see promise in a team whose best players still have two or three years ahead of them.

Therefore, this really becomes a pointless discussion because you have unrealistic expectations and even if the Gens did win a couple of more games and got that playoff spot, you would complain just the same that they wouldn't have been able to win a game against Barrie when really, at the start of the season, realistic expectations were that this was at best, a borderline playoff team because of their age. And then you say that I'm using the team's age as an excuse as well as the cycle of junior hockey which is ridiculous because that's exactly what's at play here.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:11 pm

Gens Camper wrote:

About 8 weeks ago many thought we were a playoff lock - now we are locked out of the playoffs.

Who was coaching when the team was overachieving? I guess they were winning in spite of their coach, eh?

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:38 pm

The problem is we under achieved more than we over achieved
that's why ??? are coming up as to who is responsible and how can the ship be turned around.

I have been a GENS season ticket holder - over 40 yrs - watched Bobby Orr at the civic

Our worst season was in the late 70's - was a 5 win season - our coach was Sherry Bassin - who was canned at season's end and made the General Manager - the rest is history.

I think DIPS has done OK as a GM - but has not impressed as a coach

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:00 pm

Overachieving? I ain't on that page! The final 20+ games have been a nightmare - when it really matters! A handful of wins since Xmas. I don't view change as totally starting 'all over AGAIN.' I view Dips & Co simply as a continuation of the Sellwood era - from which we are currently trying to recover from. Players leaving the team without gaining a player in a trade or signing no show picks is just more of the same. Lack of character or chemistry. It ain't workin' nor will it. It's past time to move on! bounce

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by gmc 118 Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:35 pm

1)YES
2)YES
3)YES

Like i have stated in many of my posts,if around november this team has not improved on the ice, then its time to make a coaching decision.Yes we gambled on biggs and lessio, dont you think that this ownership had a big imput on these decisions.As i stated many times deboer was at the draft table and was very pleased with last years draft, and was willing to take a chance on biggs.So if you wanna put the blame game on the gm for these decisions, i guess you negative posters should also be blaming the ownership.But i dont see much of that.
gmc 118
gmc 118

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:48 pm

Did Deboer own the team then, The Deboer deal was not finalized until late this season . So his role was at the table was ?

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:49 pm

He was there, it just wasn't official.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:54 pm

The real question now is how attractive is a team to those 2 players that has missed the post season 2 years in a row & under the current status quo? If it eventually takes a Deboer to get the 'deal done' then Dips is toothless as a GM too - and really not calling the shots anyway! Embarassed

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by gmc 118 Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:27 pm

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 wrote:Did Deboer own the team then, The Deboer deal was not finalized until late this season . So his role was at the table was ?

Yes deboer was part owner of this hockey club then, and yes he had a big say in what was picked at the draft table.If you were on the gens website on draft day there was a picture of the hockey staff in the war room, he was at the table.I saw our coaching and scouting staff last year on draft day, and our head scout told me how impressive peter deboer was with the draft and was willing to take a chance on biggs, as that was one of my first questions to him.
gmc 118
gmc 118

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:01 pm

So exactly which players did Dips pick as 'primo' GM - seeing that he is getting all the credit and lack of credit for them? confused

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by gogensgo Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:50 pm

gensman wrote:So exactly which players did Dips pick as 'primo' GM - seeing that he is getting all the credit and lack of credit for them? confused
It does get confusing with these two. One minute when we briefly win some games it is because the players are buying into the coach's philosophy, but when we lose it is all the players or Sellwood's fault ; Sellwood is responsible for everything wrong with this team but Sellwood was a genius to bring Dips into the organization as his hand picked successor ; people can't make statements without being asked for independently verified proof but then unsubstantiated statements with %'s are thrown around ; Dips gets credit for the trades that are good but no blame for the bad ones ; Dips is the GM but then he really isn't when the discussion gets difficult as the owners are the ones making the decisions ; Dips was the Defensive coach for years and ran most of the practices but the defensive problems are all Sellwoods because he was the head coach and Dips didn't have any say. I can't even keep it all straight. Maybe I need to sleep in longer tomorrow too.

My question for Beats and GMC 118 is this: When/if the Owners (including knowledgeable hockey people) make the decision to relieve Dips as the Coach, will you be the first ones on here being critical of the Owners saying they are just like all of us unknowledgeable bashers?

gogensgo

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:02 am

I was not a Selwood fan either but I too think Dips had more responsibility to develop than he is NOT taking credit for! I am on the side of ownership ... but at which point do they take responsibility for delay and NOT taking action?

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next