Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tue Nov 02 Mississauga at Oshawa 11:00 AM

+20
generalsfan
UGENS
steamed
ogf
annette12
dewitl
mygens
hockeynightinontario
opinionated
Chamoo
Gens Camper
Kevy
Gen44
JokesandPranks
moose
archer_gens
hockeybeats
Hayes#21
ohagan
Oshawa fan
24 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Tue Nov 02	Mississauga at Oshawa	11:00 AM - Page 2 Empty Re: Tue Nov 02 Mississauga at Oshawa 11:00 AM

Post by hockeynightinontario Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:29 am

And because TFC is doing that, I did not renew my tickets. My Generals renewal will be conditional on no morning games next year. They won't mind losing $1,500 in season tickets I'm sure.

hockeybeats wrote:I won't reveal anything I've overheard that might not be official because what will happen next year is just rumour really at this point. But I will say that STH's are not ignored in Oshawa at all as some people here might perceive. They are talking about balancing the benefit of this game with the disadvantage of people paying for an event they cannot attend. Any discussion though I think is about next year, at this point, I think it's a done deal although I could be wrong.

Asking for a playoff game as a trade-off for a regular season game, of course that would be nice but honestly, do you think it's viable? There must be at least 2000 season ticket holders, probably more. $20 X 2000 tickets ... do you really think its feasible to just give away over $40,000? Sure it would be nice, it's just not realistic.

Toronto FC is forcing its season ticket holders to purchase the MLS Cup, the championship game Toronto is hosting. If one decides not to buy this game between two teams that someone might not care for at all, you lose your season tickets and it's back of the line. If we're talking about mistreating season ticket holders, MLSE is king. Imagine being forced to buy tickets to see a championship game between Peterborough and London in order to purchase season tickets! Sorry, I know that's not related - just wanted to vent about it. Laughing

hockeynightinontario

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-09-28

Back to top Go down

Tue Nov 02	Mississauga at Oshawa	11:00 AM - Page 2 Empty Re: Tue Nov 02 Mississauga at Oshawa 11:00 AM

Post by Oshawa fan Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:40 am

I am giving our family seats awqy (4 of them). Not everybody wants to do that.

Use them for a rain check if you want.

I would not have thought this was deal breaker for seasons tickets.

We don't like afternoon games but unless the Gens went to all afternoon games we will keep our season seats.

I understand they want to expose kids who would not otherwise get a chance to the game. I recognize that they need to do that work to build a future fan base. I am not getting any younger and my Dad is pretty damn old.

I have no problem with the concept of this game. even though I cannot attend.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:42 am

It's rude on the part of the gens organization , sorry , we season ticket holders should have had the Option of not having to pay for those seats if the gens were basically going to make it impossible for most of us to attend the game , I always find it rude when someone or some organization magnanimously makes a donation on my behalf, it's rude , I can make my own charitable donation , thank you very much.
If the gens wanted to have kids from schools attend the games , then take it out of the season ticket packages , and donate the tickets at a reduced or no charge period . That would be charitable on the part of the gens , the way they have pulled this stunt of is ignorant , plain and simple

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeynightinontario Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:20 am

mygens wrote:It's rude on the part of the gens organization , sorry , we season ticket holders should have had the Option of not having to pay for those seats if the gens were basically going to make it impossible for most of us to attend the game , I always find it rude when someone or some organization magnanimously makes a donation on my behalf, it's rude , I can make my own charitable donation , thank you very much.
If the gens wanted to have kids from schools attend the games , then take it out of the season ticket packages , and donate the tickets at a reduced or no charge period . That would be charitable on the part of the gens , the way they have pulled this stunt of is ignorant , plain and simple

And that's precisely why my renewal is dependent on getting rid of this game. Plus, money talks. Seems to be the only language that gets heard by sports teams from the fans these days.

hockeynightinontario

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeynightinontario Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:22 am

Hockeybeats -- you say it's unrealistic to give away $40,000 in tickets, but it's okay for the Generals to take $40,000 from season ticket holders for a game virtually nobody can attend?

If the Gens want to do something for kids, fine. They can absorb the cost. But they're passing it onto the fans right now and they're taking the credit. Niiiiice!

hockeynightinontario

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:51 pm

This game and our scheduling of Sat - Sun scheduling is the worst in my history - We have enough Sat and Sunday afternoon games as well as - Minor hockey night and Tim Bits hockey day for kids

When I was a kid - there was never a problem going to a Sunday or Tues game at 7:30 PM - BECAUSE IT WAS THE PLACE TO BE.

This is very amateur marketing and will fail

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:01 pm

They are trying to keep everybody happy with the mix of afternoon and evening games. I don't like afternoon games either but there are those who do.

After the crowd last night (3,200 I think) it is hard to know what time is the correct time.

They are working to find a balance on this. You should let the Gens management know your views. If you feel you have to give up your season tickets do so but I would think it might be better to suggest an alternative.

Oshawa fan

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeynightinontario Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:25 pm

I agree, GensCamper!! Games were at 7:30 when I was a kid. I never missed a game. Was a good student. Found time to sleep. Life was good! In fact, if there was an 11 am game and my school wasn't going, oh, that would have been a problem!! I prided myself on not missing games, period!! I'd be half dead sick and still go to school on game day because I was afraid my teachers would see me there (several of them went to games). More than once, I was too sick to go to school, stayed home the day before and after a game but went that day because of the game.

I guarantee I would have been at the game and not school, no matter what, if there had been a day weekday game!!! And I guarantee my teachers would have asked me the next day how the game was. Smile

Regarding normal day games...I don't go. I don't enjoy afternoon hockey. So I knew when the schedule came out that I'd be missing at least 8 of 34 games of my tickets.

hockeynightinontario

Back to top Go down

Post by dewitl Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:47 pm

Does anyone know how they are marketing this morning "school game" to schools? I'm a teacher and the only reason I know of this game is because I'm season ticket holder. I've received no info at all at my school and we're close enough to the GM Centre to walk there. Teachers need at least a couple of weeks to plan for this if it's going to be a school event, and so far I've heard and received nothing from the Gens. If it's truly being marketed to schools there's a problem because from what I've seen so far, it's not being publicized at all to schools.

dewitl

Number of posts : 50
Seat Section : 116
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by annette12 Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:05 pm

dewitl wrote:Does anyone know how they are marketing this morning "school game" to schools? I'm a teacher and the only reason I know of this game is because I'm season ticket holder. I've received no info at all at my school and we're close enough to the GM Centre to walk there. Teachers need at least a couple of weeks to plan for this if it's going to be a school event, and so far I've heard and received nothing from the Gens. If it's truly being marketed to schools there's a problem because from what I've seen so far, it's not being publicized at all to schools.
Annette here, I was at an SCC meeting of a certain school and asked the same question to the principal if he heard about the school day game, he said that an email came to him and said that the tickets are 20 dollars for the game and lunch, he said that he was going to leave it up to his teachers to decide and I guess that he did not tell them yet, I think 20 dollars is quite pricey , I don't think they will sell it out. Only time will tell.

annette12

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post by dewitl Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:15 pm

Thanks for the info Annette. I agree that $20 is pricey! When we have our school nights which fundraise and earn money for the school we only charge $14. I won't ask my students to pay that much and have no profit for the school. I think we'll wait until our scheduled school fundraising night. Unfortunately, my seats will be empty November 2nd as I'll be teaching that morning. Very Happy

dewitl

Number of posts : 50
Seat Section : 116
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:17 pm

I agree with you guys completely the Sunday 7:30 starts were great , we got to stay home and have dinner with our families before we headed out to the games , my young daughter and son came with me , it wasn't a problem for them , as it is now , there is no Sunday dinner for the family , it really is unfair and as far as bringing the kids to the game for dinner , give me a break , who wants to feed their kids fast food for Sunday dinner ........its all about money guys make no mistake , and its misguided.

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeynightinontario Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:52 pm

It's not even fast food. It's small portions of overpriced food. Three times the cost of McDonalds and half the quality!!

hockeynightinontario

Back to top Go down

Post by Gen44 Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:33 pm

Agreed with the comments made about the the 11;00am start. Gens management cannot continue to promote the team on the backs of season ticket holders. Much the same way they had 2 pre-season out of town games and then give 2 extra tickets to season ticket holders for the only home pre-season game in oshawa. Basically making the season ticket holders fund 2 extra tickets to give away to 2 people as a promotion; In my case I paid for one ticket and had 2 to give away.......And the 2 tickets if had i use them would have been somewhere else in the arena as my area is mainly season ticket holders.

Gen44

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeynightinontario Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:41 pm

What bugged me on the two free tickets is, I didn't know they had to be exchanged before the day of game. As I don't live in Oshawa and wasn't able to get there during limited box office hours in the week, I picked up the season tickets on the night of the preseason game, meaning they were expired already!! Good thing I didn't find anyone to use them or they would have been left at the box office without the free tickets I'd have promised. Makes me look like a jerk even though I had no way of knowing! Needless to say, I won't try to give them away if I renew next year.

hockeynightinontario

Back to top Go down

Post by moose Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:25 pm

Has anyone complained to the Management not just on here??? I emailed the office and was told my feedback was valued yet in a nice way--too bad suck it up. I refuse to donate my tickets to charity--i'm kinda tired of donating to charities--LOL no one ever gives me anything for free. Pretty much season ticket holders are left to cash in their tickets for rain check nights, where we will then be asked to pay an additional $2 per ticket. That then makes your $20 ticket $22 and its not even your fault you couldnt attend. I think that they have really made a lot of season tickets holders angry over this and they need to step up and fix it. Stop hurting the fans that are there every game--win or lose (lol and lets face theres been a lot of losses in the past few years). I guess they haven't figured out the best marketing tool to bring fans in, is a winning team! My guess is they should have tried that route first. I really like the idea someone gave about cashing in your tickets and have the money taken off next years tickets.

I was shocked to hear the price they were charging the students. Just think that is $20 per child, if you had three kids thats $60. Plus don't forget buses aren't free and the parents would have to put money in for that. Each class would need a parent helper, so thats another $20 for that family! It might be cheaper to take your class to Dinsey World (just kiding).

For long time seasons tickets holders--have you notice we pay more for tickets and seem to be getting less. I remember when i started we had rain check nights (no serivce fee), bring a friend coupons (four a year), first two play off games and at one point we even got a season ticket holder gift (mugs, coozy, license plate holder). Now they are even taking games away from us.

I'm not even going to get into our free exhibition games that turned out to costs us money and not even could attend because they were held "out of town" and the venues were too small.

The sad thing is, is the organization knows that no matter how bad they treat STH, we wil be back again next year because we love the game!

moose

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:32 pm

I don't really have any comment on the weekday game because I don't really have anything to add that I haven't already said but as for paying more and getting less, of course that's true. It's true with all teams.

1. Normal inflation
2. Tuition is going up higher than the rate of inflation so the cost of player's education packages does too
3. New arena and a more complex hockey experience - while some don't care for all the bells and whistles, a junior hockey game costs more to produce than when a junior hockey team was a mom and pop operation

What you need to do is compare what you get as a season ticket holders to the rest of the league NOW in 2010, not what you got in 1995 or even 2005. If you think you aren't getting fair treatment on that comparison, make your case. Comparing to a different time period in Gens history is not really relevant.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:44 pm

I guess I can always see the good in all this. We get to watch a decent hockey team in a first-class facility. Sure it is not like the the good old days but things change.

I don't think they do everything right but as a long-time season ticket holder I am content with value I get for the money.

I think if compare with what goes on around the league and compare our facility we do just fine.

Just one fan's view.

Oshawa fan

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeynightinontario Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:42 am

Generalhockeybeats -- my $850 per seat season tickets (yes, they're club seats, but in most arenas, those same seats either aren't club seats or the club seats are only a buck or two more) are the OHL's most expensive seats. I think seats on the other side are about $550 (someone correct me if I am wrong), still on the higher side. And for that, we get screwed with an 11 am game against a contender yet. I know many teams still give a mug or other gifts. And I don't really care if I get a $10 mug...but it does make you feel wanted.

I've emailed the Generals on a couple of items in the past. I always get the whole "thanks for your input, I'll pass it along." This isn't the only place I've had tickets before. In fact, it's not the only one this year. Honestly, I feel season ticket holders are taken for granted more in Oshawa than most places. This 11 am game is a big part. The corporate feel of the arena is another. There's no water fountains, yet I can't even bring in a bottle of water. In Kitchener, they make up for that by allowing you to bring unlimited bottles of any drink. And I don't care if that's the Generals or Global Spectrum. Either way, I'm paying $4 for a bottle of water and filling it up with warm washroom water, it adds to my already high end cost.

Then the team doesn't compensate us for a game virtually nobody can attend because of a completely unreasonable game time. No, I don't feel appreciated.

hockeynightinontario

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:53 am

This is getting real tiresome. It is one 11 am game already. You have already stated (about a hundred times) that you are not happy. You have also stated that you already give up 8 games this year because of your choice. You have already stated that if they have a 11 am game next year you will not renew......here's hoping they have two.

ogf

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2007-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeynightinontario Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:48 am

ogf wrote:This is getting real tiresome. It is one 11 am game already. You have already stated (about a hundred times) that you are not happy. You have also stated that you already give up 8 games this year because of your choice. You have already stated that if they have a 11 am game next year you will not renew......here's hoping they have two.

Did you get a good look at the guy holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read my posts?

What was my choice? Buy tickets or see no games? Some frigging choice.

Truth is, I don't have much respect for people who don't give their opinion and stand up for themselves. I don't care for people who blindly follow the status quo. I'm expressing my opinion, as are many others. And I've talked to many people upset about not only having a wasted game, but a wasted game that's one of the year's marquee games (Mississauga). Seems your opinion is in the minority. Go start your own thread in support of the 11 am games then! But don't read my posts then tell me they're tiresome. You don't have to read them, and frankly, I couldn't care less what you think.

hockeynightinontario

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:26 am

Then why did you post LMAO. For those who know me, they know I don't follow and I do stand up for myself. You have stated and stated and stated, well you get the point. We know you don't like this game at 11. Don't tell us anymore, we get it. Do what you want with the Gens office and let us know how you make out if you wish, but please, stop the copy and paste.....we get it already. I don`t have a problem with one game at 11 and I love the afternoon games....so stick that in your cherry tree. As per respect, I have none for you, and could care less what you think of me.

Cheers!!

ogf

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2007-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:38 am

OGF cheers
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:39 am

p.s. start a petition, at the STH entrance

i'll sign
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeynightinontario Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:49 am

ogf wrote:Then why did you post LMAO. For those who know me, they know I don't follow and I do stand up for myself. You have stated and stated and stated, well you get the point. We know you don't like this game at 11. Don't tell us anymore, we get it. Do what you want with the Gens office and let us know how you make out if you wish, but please, stop the copy and paste.....we get it already. I don`t have a problem with one game at 11 and I love the afternoon games....so stick that in your cherry tree. As per respect, I have none for you, and could care less what you think of me.

Cheers!!

What is this, the frigging NOOF, where fans belittle each other because they have different opinions? How incredibly immature and despicable of you.

I thought Oshawa fans were better than that and could accept opinions other than their own without belittling others or making personal attacks. Guess I was wrong.

Maybe I was wrong. I meant to say the Generals are perfect. All games should begin at 11 am. Heck, why stop there!! 4 Am!!! That won't inconvenience anyone!!

Don't worry about me, I won't post again. When a post as despicable as yours gets applauded, it's a group I don't want any part of. I prefer reasonable people.

hockeynightinontario

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next