Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tue Nov 02 Mississauga at Oshawa 11:00 AM

+20
generalsfan
UGENS
steamed
ogf
annette12
dewitl
mygens
hockeynightinontario
opinionated
Chamoo
Gens Camper
Kevy
Gen44
JokesandPranks
moose
archer_gens
hockeybeats
Hayes#21
ohagan
Oshawa fan
24 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Tue Nov 02	Mississauga at Oshawa	11:00 AM - Page 3 Empty Re: Tue Nov 02 Mississauga at Oshawa 11:00 AM

Post by hockeybeats Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 am

hockeynightinontario wrote:

Did you get a good look at the guy holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read my posts?

What was my choice? Buy tickets or see no games? Some frigging choice.

Truth is, I don't have much respect for people who don't give their opinion and stand up for themselves. I don't care for people who blindly follow the status quo. I'm expressing my opinion, as are many others. And I've talked to many people upset about not only having a wasted game, but a wasted game that's one of the year's marquee games (Mississauga). Seems your opinion is in the minority. Go start your own thread in support of the 11 am games then! But don't read my posts then tell me they're tiresome. You don't have to read them, and frankly, I couldn't care less what you think.

I'm sorry but you surely must realize the double standard you hold when posting this. You have little respect for people who don't give their opinion and stand up for themselves. Somebody GAVE THEIR OPINION. It happens to be different than yours and you accuse them of blindly following. You are ONE of 2000+ season ticket holders and therefore cannot presume to speak for all of them. Yes, some of them do share your opinion. Here is one fan that stood up for themselves and gave his opinion which is contrary to yours and you jumped all over that person. His opinion is also that you're repeating the same mantra ad nauseum here and keep assuming that just because you don't like afternoon games that all Gens fans don't like afternoon games. Again, yes, you might find a bunch of fans in your section that like 6pm starts, 7:30pm starts, heck maybe you can even find a few that like 9pm starts. Of course you can! Because in any group of 2000+, there will be people who like all different start times. But you assume that ALL Gens fans think like you when the afternoon games have historically been the highest attended games. They wouldn't be trying afternoon games if they weren't getting requests for more afternoon games but you don't consider that there just might be people who think differently than you.

What you're really saying in your initial statement is not that you have no respect for those who don't stand up for themselves but you have no respect for those who think differently than you. Sorry to be blunt but that's surely what it looks like you're saying.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Tue Nov 02	Mississauga at Oshawa	11:00 AM - Page 3 Empty Re: Tue Nov 02 Mississauga at Oshawa 11:00 AM

Post by Oshawa fan Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:18 am

hockeynightinontario wrote:Either way, I'm paying $4 for a bottle of water and filling it up with warm washroom water, it adds to my already high end cost.

If you are paying $4 when I pay $3 for a bottle of water you have a legitimate complaint. Laughing

There are many facilities where no outside food or drink is allowed. I think anything else is an exception to the rule.

As to the other comments I agree with OGF and Beats. We all have different views and the Gens are trying to keep people happy.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayes#21 Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:53 pm

I have said my piece about the 11 am start on the other posting earlier in the year.

I think a lot of the frustration, is not really the 11am start.

It is the fact that no one was made aware by the generals organization. To be quite honest, had I not been following our posts during the summer....and saw the discussion that the schedule came out and there was an 11 am game.... I wouldn't have checked the start time on my ticket pakcage and I wouldn't have known until it was too late that the game was at 11 am.

As a STH that is my complaint. When we picked up our tickets, either there should have been a note attached or the people giving the packages, should have advised that there was an 11 am start. As you can see many people are just finding out now....How many don't know yet, becuase they haven't checked their tickets? They are going to miss the game. I am sure that will bring about quite a few complaints to the management and mabey that is what is needed.

Hayes#21

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm

We all make our decisions for seasons tickets based on our love for the team and our financial situation and our home commitments.

We put our deposits down at least 3 months before the schedules are released and each year it appears that changes are made that we must accept but don't like.

As for myself - I am not a Big fan of Sat night or more than a couple of afternoon games - I think the Sat night Sun game combos are a bit much

However I like my seat location and my friends in my area and realize I will always miss a few games a year so like or not I will be in it for the long haul

But this doesn't mean I always like every weird game day scheduling. It has nothing to do with satisfying the FANS it's all about crazy marketing to attract more fans - But hopefully they don't lose more than they gain.

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:06 pm

Maybe a solution to be looked into is a ticket market like the Leafs and a few OHL teams have. Even if it was just something we didourselves on here. We could open a topic call it Ticket Exchange. Then when people have tickets there not going to use they could post and people could buy them from each other. For example I have friends who would take a pair off someones hands here and there. Especially if the tickets are at cost to us and not box office rates.

Thoughts?

For season ticket holders it would be an easy to meet up at the game and exchange money for tickets to future games.

I dunno what the rules are for reselling tickets either, so maybe someone could enlighten me. I would assume as long as the tickets are sold at face value or less, that its legit?
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeynightinontario Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:28 pm

It was the part when the original post said he hoped there were two 11 am games next year so I'd give up my tickets that set me off. The fact that his opinion was different was fine. The fact that he turned it into something personal, that he hoped I would not renew, that was very uncalled for. IMO,'that threw down the gauntlet and anything i said after that was fair game, as his statement was very extreme.

Generalshockeybeats, your post makes no sense. I reread the topic and I feel you're speaking as a Gens employee defending an unpopular decision.

And on the water bottle...sor---rrrey! I shoulda said WE pay $4'per bottle of water. And to buy three bottles of water (about what I drink in one game) adds $12 to the night. To say nothing of environmental impact. Bottled water is an environmental issue right now, yet I buy 100 bottles a year I don't want to at the GMC. And I'm sure others are the same.

hockeynightinontario

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:03 pm

Obviously HockeyBeats isn't gonna trash the team, that would be stupid.

I think he does a good job getting across his opinion tastefully.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:14 pm

All I'm saying is that you aren't taking the opinion of other fans into consideration and I think that your post was quite disrespectful of those who like afternoon games.

Truth is, I don't have much respect for people who don't give their opinion and stand up for themselves. I don't care for people who blindly follow the status quo ... Seems your opinion is in the minority. Go start your own thread in support of the 11 am games then! But don't read my posts then tell me they're tiresome. You don't have to read them, and frankly, I couldn't care less what you think.

I've said this before but what I say in no way reflects the opinions of the Gens, I post as a fan. The only exception to that would be things that are music-related - for example, the current third-period entry song was a fan suggestion posted here. When talking about the business side of things or the hockey side of things, everything I post is no different than I would post if I were a fan purchasing tickets. I've been posting on the noof since I was working with the St. Mike's Majors in 2001. I don't consider myself anything more than a fan with the biggest noisemaker in the building.

If it sounds like I'm "defending" a decision the team makes, it's because I agree with what they're doing. I love afternoon games - I wish ALL the Sunday games were in the afternoon because I think afternoons are a bigger draw and the rest of the league has switched over for that reason. I don't like Sunday night games at all but if you like them, great. They seem to be trying a mix of times and experimenting - seems like a good idea to me.

I like the school day game and this was a trial run. There are some things that I'm sure they will do differently if they do a school day game next year. You can disagree with the idea of the game, fantastic. But just say that - instead of assuming that you speak for all fans.

If I was involved in Generals marketing, I'd have to be paid substantially more than I do. What I do there is a hobby, not a career. I do have a day job. I also wouldn't be here criticizing a paying customer if I was representing the team. I'd have to be more diplomatic. Laughing

Sure I won't go out and vocally trash them - but I won't defend something if I disagree with it.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:25 pm

Whats the big deal,I took a day off work and I'll be there, it's a promotion towards the kids as there the future of OHL hockey fans. a good idea.for the people that can't make it listen to it on the radio
oops NO radio lol!
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by UGENS Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:43 pm

If Personal attacks continue I will lock this thread you "all" are warned!!!

UGENS(Karon)
UGENS
UGENS

Number of posts : 944
Seat Section : Sec 113 row 15 seat 18
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Gen44 Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:43 pm

Agreed personal attacks are not warrented. However, opinions and view points should be accepted without the threat to dis-continue the thread. It shows fans are engaged in the Team, the treatment of the STH, etc...

Gen44

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by ohagan Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:43 pm

annette12 wrote:
dewitl wrote:Does anyone know how they are marketing this morning "school game" to schools? I'm a teacher and the only reason I know of this game is because I'm season ticket holder. I've received no info at all at my school and we're close enough to the GM Centre to walk there. Teachers need at least a couple of weeks to plan for this if it's going to be a school event, and so far I've heard and received nothing from the Gens. If it's truly being marketed to schools there's a problem because from what I've seen so far, it's not being publicized at all to schools.
Annette here, I was at an SCC meeting of a certain school and asked the same question to the principal if he heard about the school day game, he said that an email came to him and said that the tickets are 20 dollars for the game and lunch, he said that he was going to leave it up to his teachers to decide and I guess that he did not tell them yet, I think 20 dollars is quite pricey , I don't think they will sell it out. Only time will tell.

I agree, $20 is a lot of money for something that is not educational. This is entertainment and the kids will have a good time, but doubt there will be a learning experience in this event for them. I would rather give $20 to my kid to go to the science center or something like that.

ohagan

Number of posts : 360
Seat Section : 119 standing room
Registration date : 2010-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by ohagan Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:39 pm

archer_gens wrote:Maybe a solution to be looked into is a ticket market like the Leafs and a few OHL teams have. Even if it was just something we didourselves on here. We could open a topic call it Ticket Exchange. Then when people have tickets there not going to use they could post and people could buy them from each other. For example I have friends who would take a pair off someones hands here and there. Especially if the tickets are at cost to us and not box office rates.

Thoughts?

For season ticket holders it would be an easy to meet up at the game and exchange money for tickets to future games.

I dunno what the rules are for reselling tickets either, so maybe someone could enlighten me. I would assume as long as the tickets are sold at face value or less, that its legit?

That could work on this page, the concept is easy enough. You say other teams do this, how do the fans figure out how to find each other before the game? There are lots of people coming and going at the front gate during pregame. If someone wanted to sell there tix at face value on this board, i would not have a problem with that.

ohagan

Back to top Go down

Post by generalsfan Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:48 pm

I'm surprised some people would let this one game impact their season tickets decision...would not being able to attend this 1 game really affect your enjoyment of the other 33 home games? If the timing of this game doesn't work out for me, it would be unfortunate but I would just consider it a game I couldn't go to...just as if I was out of town and missed a game.

It will be interesting to see how many school kids attend this game. I'm not sure it's going to be that high a number. But, clearly the organization wanted to try something different to attract fans who might not otherwise attend Gens games...bring kids in, have them chat up at home how they'd like to go back because they had a good time, maybe have some new fans start to attend a game now and again that wouldn't have otherwise. Before the season began, thinking that Mississauga could be a big superpower right from the start of the season, I remember thinking...of all games to pick as the school day one, it's against what could be the best team, so what student is going to go home and chat up the game if the Gens lose handily? Laughing Now my thinking is, it's a shame most people could miss this game because it could be an excellent one! Very Happy

Last edited by generalsfan on Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

generalsfan

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by ohagan Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:02 pm

good point, we only play 4 games vs missy so that means most of us will get to see them at home only once now. thank god they didnt book the 11 am game when the petes were in town lol. i was wondering if missy was going to bus their own school kids in. teachers on this board have posted that they havent heard anything about offering a gens game to their students and missy has a history of this hockey field trip in the past year or so

ohagan

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:03 am

Fans dont run the ticket exchange for other teams, windspr and the leafs u log on post ur tickets and get a credit if others buy them. I dont see the gens adopting this. So my idea was say i know im not going to the missy game i post it, and then u could meet at a set time/place. Say i wanted an extra pair of tix for game ten, i could meet the sth at my seats or theres at game eight or nine and do the transaction.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by JPH Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:19 am

This is going to be a tad off topic, but I feel the Gens sort of screwed up when they adopted the flat rate for tickets. Make kids tickets $12 or something, and maybe people can afford to come out.

I know they have family packs, but noticed this year they are loaded up with food and snacks to look more like a deal, when i actually has the opposite affect on me.

JPH

Number of posts : 172
Seat Section : Somewhere in Section 119
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:30 am

Couldn't agree more, i'm taking my friends kids to the Petes game instead of a home game cause its cheaper.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayes#21 Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:52 pm

I understand for some on this board that missing a game is not a big deal. But for some of the season ticket holders it is. I LOVE THIS TEAM. I have supported this team for many , many years. I buy the tickets every year, with the intentions of going to each game. I make schedule changes where required to make sure I can attend the games. This change was not made known. How many people would think a Tuesday game was at 11 am? Honestly. I would have gone at 6 , for the 7 pm start, that night and been standing there looking silly. I don't think it is too much to ask that we, the season ticket holders were made aware that we had an 11am start. I kind of feel like, if I had not read the board...too bad for me. That is not right. I feel it was a bit underhanded by not advising us. I don't think they need our permission or anything, but a heads up for a very drastic time change, would have been a courteous gesture.

Hayes#21

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:35 pm

It was made known, how much time do you need? It is YOUR responsibility to look at the schedule. The schedule is NOT the same every year. If you purchase your season tickets thinking every game is either Friday at 7:30 or Sunday at 6 you are just not thinking right. Season tickets are purchased BEFORE the schedule is even made. When the schedule comes out, you review it and either make adjustments to attend all the games or give/sell/trade tickets for the ones you can't go to. If ALL of you didn't do that, well sucks to be you, remember it for next year. There is no reason the Gens should personally call the 2000+ season tickets holders and tell them what time a game starts. You are buying season tickets to support the team, if you would rather pay the walk up price for each game, do that and then this 11 am game is not an issue.....oh, that will cost you more by the way.

Cheers!!

GO GENS GO...at 11 AM and well 24 hours a day....WHOOOO!

ogf

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2007-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayes#21 Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:12 pm

The gens can send the 2000+ season ticket holders an e-mail every home game....with 35 pages...but can't send an e-mail about a special event planned at 11am? Really?????? I am pretty sure, I have an e-mail today from them advising of the Canada game?

Hayes#21

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:27 pm

your missing the point

ogf

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2007-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeynightinontario Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:30 pm

After OGF's last post, I don't feel bad about what he said about me. Smile

Sure, you don't expect every game at 7:30 or 6....I guess. But you sure as heck don't expect a weekday morning either, especially a bigger than normal game.

The guy says he loves the team and then you belittle him. Really? Can't people have an opinion in your world?

Go ahead and bash me. I look forward to it. Smile

hockeynightinontario

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:38 pm

Generals Face Off E-Newsletter

look at "Upcoming Games"

The next three home games with start times are always posted on the right side so the start time of this game has been there. Yes, the 11am time is different but there has been more notice given for this than you usually get for a game that is suddenly on Sportsnet and becomes an 8pm start.

I do think most people look at the schedule as soon as they pick up the tickets. Did it not also include a communication about being able to defer the tickets to charity and get a tax receipt? If they were communicating the tax receipt idea, obviously that's also informing that there is a game at a unique time of day.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayes#21 Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:49 pm

You know what...I just opened my ticket package...and was reading the donating of tickets for tax receipt, does not refer to any specific game ...it looks like , hopefully I am reading this right, it is for any game you cannot attend, you can donate your tickets to the United way for a tax receipt.

I understand what you are saying hockeybeats, and the face off letter , does show the next three games. I was just thinking that this was more of an event, and thus the reason for the time of the game, and therefore, could have been communicated, in the face off letter, game day notes or something to the STH's.

Hayes#21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next