Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coaching(?)

+17
jaycro
mygens
runner
ogf
Chamoo
Popbottle
Gens Camper
Kevy
the croc
hockeynightinontario
Oshawa fan
hockeybeats
archer_gens
gmc 118
steamed
KHE
gensman
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Coaching(?) Empty Coaching(?)

Post by gensman Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:33 am

How long is the ownership, management, and fans expected to have patience for a coach who has yet to accomplish or indicated any 'serious' winning potential since arriving here? LAST PLACE does not cut it for long in this league and I'd hate to see 'the trade' and all those great picks go to waste! I am on record calling for a coaching change at the end of LAST year and have yet to see anything that significantlly changes my mind!

gensman

Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Coaching(?) Empty Re: Coaching(?)

Post by KHE Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:27 pm

I currently don't have a problem with the Generals coaching staff. I believe as an organization they need to stick with the same coach/GM for a couple of years to show a little bit of stability.

KHE

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:30 pm

My it's only been 5 games and your still want to make a coaching change,gensman this team is NOT a contender this year there young and will make mistakes,lets give it time.Now if there is no improvement in the next two years when we will have a strong team then ownership has to sit down and make that call.
But right now even though there not wining every game like you want them to.They are not quiting,We could easy be 5-0 and you would still be complaining. now in the next 2 years we are at the same situation(sp)I'll join you in saying fire Dips.I'm giving Dips some time as he walked in to a poorly drafted team with some costly trades that was made by a used car dealer Laughing

I think the problem is with the ownership. if There was only Davis involved I think even though he brought the wrong hockey people in to manage and coach at least he brought hockey people in.Now Rocco Tullio is just on an ego trip who want to compete with his buddy's in Windsor they wouldn't let him buy into the team so he bought his own not knowing anything about hockey but had $$$$ to purchase a team and that's were the problem is not the coaching.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by gmc 118 Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:56 pm

Not sure why you would want dipps fired last year.Everyone knew after the jt trade we were going to struggle.Had our owner JOHN DAVIES brought in capable staff, instead of his only three friends, maybe this club would be in a different state.Our team is young and is going to take time to come together.Our team has been competitive in our games.If dipps is able to lure lessio to sign and we get biggs next year, We will have 6 good 17 year olds.The generals will be bidding for the memorial cup for next year, so yes they have a plan.Our best players are 18 and younger, untill parnham comes back and he will be traded, and hopefully in return we get a pick and a good 17 or 18 year old in return.If next this team is not progressing by christmas, its time for a change, while this team is still very young.
gmc 118
gmc 118

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:29 pm

Please what do u think are record should have been last year? do you think we could have made the playoffs with a different coach? I think Dipps has done a great job as a general manager. Dunno about a great job as coach, but not a bad job either.

I think in an Ohl cycle missing the playoffs one year is acceptable.... now if we did it twice then maybe we have this conversation.

Looking back two years ago to when he took over half way through the year and are record tanked I wasn't a big fan, but looking back it was probably more then chance in style and play more so then the coach
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:52 pm

With a young team expected to show little offense, the Gens have outshot the opposition in every single game, topping 50 shots in the last couple of games. Faced with a struggling Zador, he turned to Bailie seemingly at just the right time who has handled the pressure of being a #1 at a young age remarkably well - credit to himself and to the coaching because coaches do have a role in ensuring young players can handle the tasks given and are not in over their heads. The Gens are playing .500 hockey and every loss is by a single goal except one game where they went down by two with under two minutes to play.

They also seem to play together much better than even the more successful teams where Tavares would play his 3 minute shifts and then when he was off the ice, everything looked completely out of sync. This team is really coming together - I'm seeing excellent passing and puck movement. They need to tighten up defensively a bit more and have had really poor finishing which is normal with young players. The Gens will contend for 4th and home ice and might win a playoff round depending on the opponent. Next year, they will be competing for the division.

I don't know what game you're watching, I love what I'm seeing so far.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 pm

I think patience is the key here. It sounds like every other year when some one complains about coaching.

Unlike in the past there is coaching going on here. While all of us think we could do a better job the current coaching staff are doing just fine with the tools they have to work with.

Do they have things they need to work on? Of course but there have been a lot of young guys on the ice and they are going to make mistakes. That is the only way they are going to get better.

I don't think you can complain about the effort. They need to be ready to play at the start of each period but I am sure all these things will improve.

Just relax and enjoy the effort.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeynightinontario Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:29 am

I'm enjoying this team. They're playing a hard working, entertaining style, and the coach is willing to live with mistakes at this point in the season. Just my opinion, but I find it far preferable to an overly structured, completely system-based methodical game. The team seems to be having fun, they're cohesive, and I think a lot of that stems from style of play.

hockeynightinontario

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by the croc Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:47 pm

I like what I have seen of the team's effort so far. If they had some finish around the net they would have stoned Ottawa. They make mistakes but they haven't quit. That is the Generals hockey that I remember and when they learn from their mistakes, they will be a really good squad.

the croc

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevy Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:10 pm

Here we go again...
Kevy
Kevy

Number of posts : 789
Seat Section : 114 Row 7
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:06 am

Coaching is not the issue at this point in the season

I would say by mid January you should see improvement in the younger players

I don't care as much if we win or lose - right now

What I want to see is - guys busting their Butt every shift

and right now that is happening - 3 young defense in the OHL is

very tough - and all are doing well - must be coaching

The goalies will improve and are now adjusting to some new

coaching - and will adjust - PATIENCE

Chris did a great job in the off season - so cut him some slack

GO GENS GO

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:51 am

I continue to have my concerns that we have the right coach to lead this organization. The talent is in place and some great future picks are on their wa. I have seen very little over the past few years to suggest that the current coach is going to put it all together!

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:25 am

gensman wrote:I continue to have my concerns that we have the right coach to lead this organization. The talent is in place and some great future picks are on their wa. I have seen very little over the past few years to suggest that the current coach is going to put it all together!

An easy way out blame the coach! on most nights the Gen's are in the game out shoot teams and out work them but this team is very young and is still learning, Now if the team is like this in the next year then your right something has to be done but for right now we have to let the team grow.Let's talk next year about coaching because I think Dips can do the job his past record proves it,I think also that that ownership(Rocco) has to let Dips do his job and quit mendling in the hockey side.

PS: we will go on a winning streak again and we won't hear from you that we have coaching concerns Laughing
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Coaching(?) Empty Coaching (?)

Post by Popbottle Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:21 pm

I have enjoyed reading the comments on this subject so I will add my two cents
I think the team has shown lots of courage given some of the recent games.
I hope we get better goal tending from both of our goalies. Some of the easy ones let in are heartbreakers and must be hard on the team spirit when it happens. If they don't improve then something has to happen.
I think some of our defensemen are getting way too much ice time which equals in some cases shifts that are too long.
I noted in watching last nights game that some of the d men were playing with different partners. I hope we would partner up some of the d pairings over and above deHann and DeHart and let them play together, communicate with each other and let them develop into true productive partnerships. Some of the d men at times are well out of position in that they move over the other d man's side when the opposing team is coming into our zone.
I don't know what to say about the unproductive power play, only to keep trying different point combinations.
While we are getting lots of shots, I don't know how many quality shots we are initiating; however on the other hand keep shooting as I don't have any suggestions on this.
I see some excessive cycling of the puck when our point men are open.
Overall I believe DIPS is working on team development, but don't know what contribution the D Coach is making at this time as I don't see him spending much time talking to the D Players.
I usually sit high in the stands and hopefully the videos will point out areas that need improvement.
I think we have a lot of talent, once we can them organized!!
Sincerely

Popbottle

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:47 pm

Winning the close games ... NOT going on 6 game + losing streaks ... quality specialty teams ... and team depth ... is what COACHING really is! Let's NOT forget he is the GM too! I don't agree with the 'youth' or 'inexperience' excuse. The Pitts 'Pens' seem to do all right very well with a young team. This coach has een around and has NOT developed a great track record at all IMO! I guess this teams needs to slip in the standings or until it's too late for a change to occur?

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chamoo Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:58 pm

You weren't on here calling for a coaching change when they were on a 5 game winning streak were you?

Chamoo

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:29 pm

Bottom line is something has to be done, whether it is coaching, sitting players, trading players, whatever. We are now 2 points out of last place in the entire league. This team has showed they have promise, and has shown they are a bottom feeder. Something has to be done to get everyone on the same page and to show that if you want to play on this team, then you are going to give 110% every time you step on the ice. I don't know what the answer is, and don't pretend to. Lets just hope this ship does an about face and plays hard every night, Every Shift.

ogf

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2007-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:26 pm

gensman wrote:Winning the close games ... NOT going on 6 game + losing streaks ... quality specialty teams ... and team depth ... is what COACHING really is! Let's NOT forget he is the GM too! I don't agree with the 'youth' or 'inexperience' excuse. The Pitts 'Pens' seem to do all right very well with a young team. This coach has een around and has NOT developed a great track record at all IMO! I guess this teams needs to slip in the standings or until it's too late for a change to occur?

Yes, comparing the Oshawa Generals to the Pittsburgh Penguins is a fair comparison. And who is the Sidney Crosby equivalent - Thomas? Andreoff?

It was probably too presumptuous to be excited when the Gens won 5 in a row but it is just as wrong to start crying panic because they've lost a few in a row. Did anyone really expect that the Gens would be able to beat teams like Saginaw, London and Windsor? You do need to consider whom they have lost to on this streak. They should have beaten Belleville and Peterborough but other than that, they've lost to some REALLY tough teams on this trip. They were tied with Windsor and right with them until late in the third period. As far as I'm concerned, that's a huge positive. If you were expecting victory today, you simply aren't realistic. The West is that much better than the East.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:44 pm

Beatz, I agree that the Pens comparison is probably not a good one, but there is something that I have to say. You are relatively new to the Gens, while others here have been around for a while. People are starting to get frustrated. What are we, the Toronto Maple Leafs? The Gens have won a total of only 4 playoff rounds in the last 10 years. People are tired of rebuilding...there is no rebuilding cause nothing has been built. Think about it, 4 rounds in 10 years. To win the championship, you have to do that in 1 year. I don't have the answers, but it is time the organization sat down and put a real plan in place to bring Oshawa back to respectability.

ogf

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2007-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:47 pm

Amen to that! Many franchises that 'demand' winning' do not give out such free passes - except the Leafs! I view this franchise as at a 'critical' success juncture! Lots of potential, a great rink, and skill that needs 'proper' nuturing and development! A team that wins key and close games NOW! A winning confidience that needs to happen NOW! More importantly many key picks are coming down the 'pipe' very soon! This is no time to 'wonder' if the current coach has the talent or skill to turn this team or players into winners or not! He has hung around long enough IMO and has not produced very much! Let's get the 'right' leadership in place and not take the chance. You only get so many chances at a 'cycle' like this! Let's get real!

gensman

Back to top Go down

Coaching(?) Empty the last 10 years

Post by runner Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:48 pm

Dips and the current ownership have little or nothing to do with the past ten years. Chris has been the coach for 18 months and the GM for 15 months. With the trade of JT & MDZ in January 2009 they were truly starting over. We're about 10 months into a complete overhaul. So far I like what i see and the team seems to be making improvements (although with some very frustrating moments ... ie Barrie). If we're not better at this time next year i agree its time to reassess. However, Dips needs to be given the opportunity to follow through with what he started as coach and GM.

Obviously its ownerships perogative at anytime to change coaches/GM but where is the merit in that. they've given Dips the chance to build/coach the team. Lets see how it goes.

runner

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:16 pm

runner is exactly right.

You can't blame the current staff for what happened in 2002 or 2003 anymore than you can blame Brian Burke for what happened with the Leafs in the 1970's. Frustration can't cloud your sense of fairness. If you saw a team that wasn't working hard, then you have every right to complain but that is not the case with this team. For them to keep it close with Windsor, you should be praising both the coaching and of course, the players who are the ones who busted their butts against a team that has far, far more talent than they do and were 7 minutes away from earning a point before the cookie crumbled.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:37 pm

You can 'rationalize' the apparent lack of 'long term' success any way you like! The 'cash machine' at the ACC does it all the time! I'm not so sure why 'Dips' NEEDS a 'long term' chance to develop a winner or whether he should de GIVEN anything!! He sure hasn't done anything to deserve it! He was recruited as the 'D' coach almost 4 years ago and oviously had no idea what he was doing! The LAST thing this team needs to do is to heap on 'praise' for close game losses! The real question is 'Does LEADERSHIP have what it takes to consistantly win and fill the seats?' Not all coaches do! Dips shortens the lines enough to convince me he is 'trying' to win! If this squad continues to languish (read: lose games) then it will not de the coaches fault if they continue to let him TRY! Stupidity is continuing to do the same things the same way and expect different results!

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:46 pm

well for my part i have never been impressed with dipiero's coaching , there doesnt appear to be any system , certainly not among the defensemen !!! i think dips has made mostly good moves as a gm , i think he makes a better gm than coach !!!!! just my opinion form what i've seen on the ice ......the kids do skate for him , but other than that i dont see any real coaching going on !

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:48 am

remember what happened last time we axed a coach part way through the year.... we won like 1 more game before the playoffs..... i'm not a fan of firing the coach mid way through the season

give him the year.... by the end of the year this will be his team, and go from there.... two years will be enough time to decide where Dips stands i think
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next