Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coaching(?)

+17
jaycro
mygens
runner
ogf
Chamoo
Popbottle
Gens Camper
Kevy
the croc
hockeynightinontario
Oshawa fan
hockeybeats
archer_gens
gmc 118
steamed
KHE
gensman
21 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Coaching(?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Coaching(?)

Post by hockeybeats Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:31 am

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/ohl19891990.html

15 teams

Who said I'm always right? I just say what I think like anybody else does. But yes, when it comes to how many teams there were in 1990, I could say I was right about that, lol

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:41 am

Actually you were not correct, you said there was 12 teams when there was actually 15. As per it being harder to build a great team with the number of teams back then at 15 to now at 20; how do you figure? There is alot more kids to scout and draw on today than there was back then. Heck, there are 65 Americans playing in the league today including 6 on the Gens. That didn't happen back then.

ogf

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2007-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:03 am

UGENS wrote:Beats there was 20 teams back in 1990 when the Gens won the Memorial Cup not less , they just happened to be in different locations at the time, then now . So your point is moot!!!

I have supported this team for forty years and I have say my friend the Generals did have and still has a tradition to be proud of, but it seems to have gone off the track and it needs to be righted and I really hope soon .

I honestly can't recall seeing this many lads asking out of this team, like seems to be happening now, in the past few years. I can't put my finger on it, but something is truly wrong here and I hope it gets corrected and soon, it's not fun having your team be called the laughing stock of the league next to Kingston.

UGENS(Karon)

Yup completely agree with UGENS here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:08 am

ogf wrote:Careful Ugens, Beats is always right....just ask him

No doubt Mr know it all HockeyBeats has an excuse for Paul Maurice as well. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevy Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:28 pm

You know....I haven't been one to make comments about Dips on the many threads started about coaching....but I saw something that confused the hell out of me last night.

Down 2-0 early in the second....a two man advantage for 1:40 at the very least....he starts the powerplay with Strnad, Terreri, and Clark?
Call me crazy, but that line doesn't jump up and scream offense. Two guys that can throw 'em, and a guy that has barely played this season.

They did score on that PP....but if they were able to get a second....it's a completely different hockey game. That's not really a way to get back in the game.
Kevy
Kevy

Number of posts : 789
Seat Section : 114 Row 7
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Kevy wrote:Down 2-0 early in the second....a two man advantage for 1:40 at the very least....he starts the powerplay with Strnad, Terreri, and Clark?

And that is an excellent point right there!

One of the key responsibilities of an OHL coach is to have the right players on the ice at the right times.

If he can't do that he should be looking at other ways of gainfull employment.

Perhaps a career doing shampoo cleanups at Ontario Motor Sales. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by QuickDraw on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayes#21 Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:51 pm

Last night's 2 man advantage...having Clark and Terreri...that was a clear messege to his team. We all are talking about it.

Coach was not happy with the play of the guys who want the powerplay. I think the messege was heard ..loud and clear.

As soon as the "powerplay guys" got their next shift. They scored. Good for the coach. He is supposed to motivate the players...and he did.

Hayes#21

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:05 pm

ogf wrote:Actually you were not correct, you said there was 12 teams when there was actually 15. As per it being harder to build a great team with the number of teams back then at 15 to now at 20; how do you figure? There is alot more kids to scout and draw on today than there was back then. Heck, there are 65 Americans playing in the league today including 6 on the Gens. That didn't happen back then.

Because no matter how well you run a team, there are 25% more teams to compete with so it's simply more probable that somebody else is just as good. This has nothing to do with the talent pool being shrunk - the talent is just spread to more teams so there are more competitive teams. It's not reasonable to expect the same frequency of victory. How can you possibly say that it's no harder to win when there are that many more teams? Maybe not immediately when those are expansion teams to compete with but after a few years, it certainly is harder.

15 or 12, the point remains the same. The more teams there are, the harder it is to win. In the NHL, this is even more pronounced having increased from 6 teams to 30. The OHA/OHL had 10 teams in 1970 moving up to 20 teams today which makes it twice as hard to win.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:15 am

Stats, cyclical rotations, numerical possibilities, and percentages are the salvation and comfort of the 'non winners.' They become irrelevant in the face of certain programs/ organizations/coaches who 'win' consistantly irrespective of the league or talent pools. Let's hope that the league dosen't expand 'cause the Gens will then go from very little slim chance of winning to a virtual impossiility. Hope springs eternal for others - at least we are always assured of securing a high draft placement consistantly! This years version of the 'also ran' speaks volumes of such 'statistically mathematical' organizations! Not surprising since we do have a coach who teaches high school!

gensman

Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:12 pm

So who are the consistent winners over the past twenty years?

OHL Champions 1990-2009

Windsor Spitfires (1 championship)
Kitchener Rangers (2 championships)
Plymouth Whalers (1 championship)
Peterborough Petes (2 championships)
London Knights (1 championship)
Guelph Storm (2 championships)
Erie Otters (1 championship)
Ottawa 67's (1 championship)
Barrie Colts (1 championship)
Belleville Bulls (1 championship)
Oshawa Generals (2 championships)
North Bay Centennials (1 championship)
Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (2 championships)

So please enlighten me as to which program is excelling over all others and consistently standing head and shoulders above all the other programs? Would it be the current favourites from Windsor that were 18-43 in 2006-07? Perhaps the London Knights who were 3-60 in 1996 and then spent five of the next eight seasons in the basement and squeaked .500 in the other three? They've been the class of the league for a very short time and have only one championship to show for it. Kitchener's been a very well-run team but even they tanked a year last season to build for this season's success and have the same number of championships as Oshawa over the last 20 years. Peterborough and Sault Ste. Marie have long successful traditions as well, they aren't exactly lighting it up in the playoffs lately either.

If you don't like logic in my responses, you are entitled to your opinion. If you're expecting a championship from 17 year olds that are playing against 19 year olds, I just hope that you don't set such impossible expectations with other aspects of your life.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:01 am

Winning 'consistently' and at least having a shot or at minimum 'in the mix' is what any good organization strives for! A decent winning percentage or an entertaining product. Top flight teams make the 'necessary' changes until they get it right - no matter what the cost! To simply suggest that their are 'too many teams' or 'it's not our turn yet' leaves us with the mediocre/sub par also ran experience(s) we have witnessed for too many years! The fans and supports suffer with this 'status quo' mantra of the cellar dweller!

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 108 Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:46 am

Well something has to be going right with coaching as the Gens have just had 3 players and a prospect invited to represent Ontario in international competitions. Two of them had assists last night! Make note... the 3 players have only had Dips as the coach with the Gens.

Gens Fan 108

Number of posts : 81
Seat Section : 108
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:02 pm

Much of that 'prospect' show casing is a very influenced (read: corrupt) and political 'process!' Winning is when 'things go right!' Not letting 50 goal scorers slip thru your fingers is the 'right thing' too!

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3