Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coaching - hate to bring it up

+28
mygens
archer_gens
gogensgo
gmc 118
hockeybeats
Hayes#21
gogenniesgo
Gensfansec114
GENNY
Seventhman
ogf
Generalizations
runner
bigE88
jaycro
drifter
the croc
Oshawa fan
Lindy88
gensman
BOBBY ORR NUMBER4
Gens_Fan_22
Kevy
southernfan
goalie gal
sdspencer
steamed
Gens Camper
32 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Coaching - hate to bring it up - Page 3 Empty Re: Coaching - hate to bring it up

Post by jaycro Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:42 pm

Shea Cooper will never be a goalie in the OHL much less a number 1 for the Gens! You are letting 2 or 3 hot games two years ago burn into youe memory. If he could have done that consistently he would be on this team. He couldn't!

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Coaching - hate to bring it up - Page 3 Empty Re: Coaching - hate to bring it up

Post by drifter Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:33 am

Sorry genny. Have to disagree. It is time for a change. These lads have given up on Dips. They arn't buying his system. He has to go at the end of the season. Otherwise you are not going to bring out the talent in these young lads. There is just no heart and sole or players willing to put it on the line game in and game out for him. We will I'm sure hash this over a pop or 2 face to face.I feel sorry for the lads that want to play but not getting the right stuff to put it together. The other problem is we don't have a defencive defence. They are normally not around to help out Bailie or Zador. These 2 guys in the last 2 nights have been shell shocked with over a 100 shots on net. Defence? Where? 10 games on the skids with not a single point this month. I support the team all but the coaching staff. They need to be booted at the end of the season. Playoffs. Not this year. Not without a vast turn around. I don't hink these lads have it left in the tank. Sorry for the novel. BUT DIPS HAS TO GO.

Last edited by drifter on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
drifter
drifter

Number of posts : 272
Seat Section : 115 row 7
Registration date : 2008-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Gensfansec114 Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:37 am

Shea Cooper is NOT the answer not even close he won't even be in camp next year. As far as buying out the coach Gaves and Deboer have deep pockets never mind Tullio if they decide to let him go money will not be a factor. You need to spend to make and I can't imagine the season's ticket sales will increase next year at all. One good playoff run and the Dips is paid.

Gensfansec114

Number of posts : 14
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:45 am

I can't agree GENNY. We need a coach and a system to develop these young players. We also need a staff here that players want to come and play for.

Lets Go Gens, do the right thing and get this organization back to respectability.

ogf

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2007-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by goalie gal Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:46 am

How much more rope to they need to give Dips to hang himself. He needs to go and now.

goalie gal

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by GENNY Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:28 am

O.K. We'll fire the babysitter because the child messed his diapers.
GENNY
GENNY

Number of posts : 609
Seat Section : 103
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:07 am

This game yesterday has more than likely has put us out of the playoffs,I personally don't want them to make it because it would be a waste of my money,saying that I think the players are not listening to the coaching staff for what ever reason, maybe a change right now would be a good thing.What I would do is bring Adam Graves in for the last 10 games and then lets evauate the talent.and at the end of the season start looking for a coach that the players have respect for and will lesson to.

It's going to be a long summer again Crying or Very sad
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by gogenniesgo Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:09 am

After watching the broadcast last night the opinion of many is coming out. The Gens are playing with no emotion or desire. From what I see there is no lack of trust in the coaching staff and you have two first round pick goalies who are back ups at best. After the first part of the season my expectations became high. I believe we all knew we would be in this position at this time of year. With ownership now in place we need to start from the ground up. We have the scouting staff and we need to build around players like Thomas, Jenner, Berger. I expect the summer to be a very active one for the Oshawa Generals.

gogenniesgo

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Lindy88 Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:16 am

steamed wrote:What I would do is bring Adam Graves in for the last 10 games and then lets evauate the talent.and at the end of the season start looking for a coach that the players have respect for and will lesson to.

I could not agree more Steamed! This current coach has got to go. I was sitting very close the Generals bench in Barrie on Thursday night. He doesn't have a friggin clue and the team has quit on him. Last night was an embarassment. Evil or Very Mad

We have some great young talent in Thomas, Jenner and Berger. Fire the coach now, and by now I'm talking TODAY!

Bringing in Graves is an excellent idea. The players would respect and play for him.
Lindy88
Lindy88

Number of posts : 75
Seat Section : 104 row 13
Registration date : 2009-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:41 pm

After last night I am coming around to the fact that the coach has to go. Either now or at the end of the season. It may not be his fault as he is still saddled with the smell of Selwood but there does need to be a house cleaning.

I am not sure if the players have quit on the coach or they are just so done with the lack of goaltending. The goaltenders rank 23rd and 29th in save percentage. Each of them had a couple of good games but they have not demonstrated nearly enough to be starting goaltenders. The pundits were critical of Selwood drafting Baillie in the first round. They were right about him.

The team ranks last in goals against and 6th worst in goals for.

Teams often play poorly when they have no confidence in their goaltenders. Clearly the Gens can have no confidence in the two current tenders. Too many weak goals deflate a team's morale.

The Gens need a goalie in the import draft next year.

There is a lack of talent on this team although there are some young players who show potential. The older guys are not leading by example at this stage of the season.

The lack of effort last night was awful to watch. Given up on the coach or given up on the season does not matter- something needs to change.

Early this season the Gens impressed as a hard working team. That aspect is now completely gone.

I don't think Graves has any desire to coach this team. He is not likely prepared to make that commitment of time. It would be a mistake in my view to try him there. The Gens need to take their time over the summer and change the culture and character of this team.

Just by the way Berger is not a young player. He is 90 so he would be an OA player next season. I would hope he comes back. His injury may meant that he does come back because he missed so much of the season this year.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by bigE88 Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:51 pm

guys, this team is npt going to build around Alain Berger, he might be back as an OA next year, but thats it.
bigE88
bigE88

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:52 pm

Oshawa fan wrote:
I don't think Graves has any desire to coach this team. He is not likely prepared to make that commitment of time. It would be a mistake in my view to try him there. The Gens need to take their time over the summer and change the culture and character of this team.

I totally agree.But when I said Graves to step in right now,it was only meant to be for 10 games,then do a propper interview after the season.I'm sure Adam Graves has no problem stepping in for the last ten games,the players more than likely would look up to him and play hard as we did at the first half of the season.What do we have to lose. Neutral
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Lindy88 Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:12 pm

Oshawa fan wrote:Just by the way Berger is not a young player. He is 90 so he would be an OA player next season. I would hope he comes back. His injury may meant that he does come back because he missed so much of the season this year.

Excellent post Oshawa fan. Yes, I was aware Berger will be an OA next year. I included him in that group only because I have heard that he wants to return next year as an OA. No brainer on the Generals part as far as I'm concerned.
Lindy88
Lindy88

Number of posts : 75
Seat Section : 104 row 13
Registration date : 2009-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:10 pm

He is better than any of our O A 'S this year

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by gogenniesgo Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:09 pm

I am not suggesting that we build around Berger. But he is a heck of alot better then some of the dead weight on the team. At least he hustles and show some emotion and would be a good overager.

gogenniesgo

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayes#21 Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:25 pm

I am not disagreeing entirely with the points and thread of this discussion. But I have a question. When are the players accountable for the product they put on the ice?

I agree something needs to change. But when you are "employed", if my boss expects me to complete a job and I continually fall short...does the employer fire the manager or the employee? In my experience the employee goes first. Obviously, this is not that easy in this circumstance. But what are the reprecautions of not doing your job on the ice?

Or is the the best these guys can do? Are the expecations too high? And these guys just cannot live up to them.

Are these players just not able to any better?

There is only so much a coach can do. Eventually the product on the ice , is somehow the responsibility of the players physically playing the game. (not everything of course)

Hayes#21

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by drifter Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:49 pm

Hayes#21 wrote:I

I agree something needs to change. But when you are "employed", if my boss expects me to complete a job and I continually fall short...does the employer fire the manager or the employee? In my experience the employee goes first. Obviously, this is not that easy in this circumstance. But what are the reprecautions of not doing your job on the ice?

I'm not sure how to put this. So here it goes. The coach and said GM could have gotten rid of the dead weight at the trade deadline. Granted I,m not sure what we would have gotten for them. But he had the chance to get rid of some of that deadweight then. Hence the coach/GM in my books should be held responsible for standing pat. In the Taylor p/u We paid a $1000.00 for Bellvilles dead wood. Taylor I believe is a good mentor for the young players. But we trade him in the offseason only to buy his services back? That still a mystery. All I'm saying is we still have the same crew except for Lombrdo (good pick up) for a late draft pick. They played then like they are now. Very streaky.I agree they are responsible for their play. But it is up to the GM to sort of bring it on. If it's not broke then don't fix it. But our team is broke and needs to be fixed with some consistancy. bom

Last edited by drifter on Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
drifter
drifter

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:01 pm

The coach and said GM could have gotten rid of the dead weight at the trade deadline,
So you get rid of dead weight to get some more dead weight back,not the solution.this team does not have depth so thats why all the dead weight are here.I'm sure if Dips could of traded them and get something value back he would, but no other teams GM wants dead weight. Wink
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:23 pm

Put yourself as supporting any other team, would you want to trade for any of the 'dead weight' Gens?

ogf

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:08 pm

All moves by the team are dealt with not by just the GM

Any moves made are sorted out with the GENS brass - this were told by Adam Graves at the season ticket holder meeting

Adam stated that the team was not going to be making deadline deals and at that time we had too many injuries that is why Taylor is here.

Dipps is making deals with his group Adam Graves - scouts - etc

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by drifter Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:42 pm

I'm sure we had some older players that someone would want. I don't know how many over age players will be back. If Berger is one. Valentine for another. I'm not sure about Zador. De hann I believe is another. We only have room for 3 until trade deadline. Then I think it's 2 that we can have. All I'm saying is for a young team. We need some leadership. i don't believe the lads are getting it. I certianly didn't say they were all dead weights ethier. But as a recent post above. How many of the lads will come back? If and I mean IF the coach is the problem. Then we will be in the same boat next year. Maybe I'm wrong but I agree SOMETHING has to give. I don't think it will be the players. If nothing else split the coach and GM to give Dips more time to concentrate on 1 job. I think he is having trouble handling both hats. Just my opinion. Please jump in and come up with suggestions to right our ship and our beloved Generals. GO YOU GENS GO
drifter
drifter

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:48 pm

We only have 3 potential OAs on the team (Berger, DeHart and Brown), the rest of the players are all back. Of course Hayes, Dzielski and Taylor are gone as they were OA this year.

ogf

Back to top Go down

Post by drifter Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:56 pm

Thanks OFG. I wasn't sure.
drifter
drifter

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:39 pm

The biggest part of our problem is the overagers. We don't have any Camerons (45 goals) as found in Barrie. Check the overagers who came back this year and compare them to Windsor's. We had an excellent possibility in Parnham but he gets injured in the pre-season and eventually we lose him for nada. Hayes is excellent for energy but he isn't a Cameron in the goal scoring department. Taylor is an energy guy but not much else. Dzielski is a decent overager but not a "gamebreaker/saver". The only redemption here is to trade Berger and DeHart at the deadline next January. Brown won't bring much (if he even makes next year's team) and, trade Dehaan at the deadline. Moving those three will add at least 3-4 younger players (1992 or 1993 birthdates)and perhaps some draft choices. I would go without any overagers for the last three months next year and develop three youngsters. Add in 4 good draft choices and, the remote possibility of adding either Biggs or Lessio and this team would be on it's way for the 2011-2012 year! Wishful thinking?

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:26 pm

You're comparing to Barrie and Windsor but if you look across all 20 teams, you'll see that OA's are slim pickings. This is spillover from the NHL CBA, less money for overpaid 36-year olds means more roster spots for 19 and 20 year olds on NHL rosters. This spills down into minor pro which is why Parnham was able to bolt for the minor pro bucks easier than a couple of years ago.

It's really hard for OHL teams to attract high-calibre OA's in the current market. If the Gens are able to have Berger and DeHart, that will be pretty close to the top OA's that are still playing OHL next year and with so many available minor pro spots, it's no guarantee that they stay. Fingers crossed.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next